Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just remeber the rate at which Tesla are developing new models as well as scaling up production and making iterations on-the-fly is very high indeed and IMO this process can probably not be sped up further by "throwing money at it" so to speak. A year-to-year growth rate in production of more than 50% per year for several years while introducing new models as well as keeping up very high qulity is quite rare when it comes to something as complex as a car. I think being involved intimately with a company like Apple at the moment would only risk slowing things down and making Tesla less agile. I would like to see them invest in the Gigafactory though, without interfering with the project, only being a financial partner. Like v12to12v said above: Apple has little to offer right now other than cash.

Cash, and an endorsement from a respected brand.

I think Apple has nothing to offer Tesla other than cash. I'd be quite upset if there was anything else going on. Apple is a big slow company without ideas.

Big slow company without ideas? What makes you draw that conclusion? Apple invests more in Research and Development annually than any other tech company. It's not Apple's fault there are only so many ways to responsibly invest $200 billion. It is for this reason I think Apple will invest in Tesla. Apple and Tesla's supply change converge in numerous places. Apple tends to invest in its suppliers, and doesn't usually buy large companies unless it has to.

It's better for Apple, Apple's suppliers, and the economy for Apple to invest in its partners instead of buying them.

This article explains a number of the reasons in detail, but is a bit dated.
* A number of the ideas about range and demand for EV's are very conservative and a bit outdated.
http://www.bcg.com/documents/file36615.pdf

Last edited:
The idea that all AAPL has to offer is cash strikes me as absurd, sorry. Here are a few things off the top of my head:

1) Massive global supply chain / operations expertise
2) Common pursuits in battery technology and other portable energy advancements
3) Remember this from just over a month ago? Bloomberg: Want Elon Musk to Hire You? Work for Apple. Hard to argue with Elon/Tesla HR...Moreover, NOT cooperating here could be problematic for both companies!
4) Common social/humanitarian goals, e.g. AAPL recent solar investments
5) Huge boost to confidence with the general buying public which could remain quite skeptical of Tesla and BEVs in general as TSLA tries to meet high Gen3 sales forecasts.

"400 billion yen (S$4.6 billion) offering

As part of the company's shift away from consumer electronics, it set up a manufacturing unit in the US at Tesla Motors Inc's battery "gigafactory" in Nevada. The manufacturer, which was started in 1918 by Konosuke Matsushita, his wife and brother-in-law in a two-floor house, is also developing self-driving technologies for cars, including parking assistance.

Panasonic will use most of the bond proceeds for capital expenditure or acquisitions in growth businesses of housing and auto-related businesses segments, said Chieko Gyobu, a company spokeswoman."

Panasonic comeback seen in biggest sale to Japans institutional investors since 2011, Technology - THE BUSINESS TIMES

As part of the company's shift away from consumer electronics, it set up a manufacturing unit in the US at Tesla Motors Inc's battery "gigafactory" in Nevada. The manufacturer, which was started in 1918 by Konosuke Matsushita, his wife and brother-in-law in a two-floor house, is also developing self-driving technologies for cars, including parking assistance.

Panasonic will use most of the bond proceeds for capital expenditure or acquisitions in growth businesses of housing and auto-related businesses segments, said Chieko Gyobu, a company spokeswoman."

Panasonic comeback seen in biggest sale to Japans institutional investors since 2011, Technology - THE BUSINESS TIMES

This is HUGE HUGE news. I can't believe how quiet it's been been around here or that this hasn't been reported at all on the usual outlets that cover Tesla.

Not sure the Panasonic results has much real new news with regards to Tesla, other than their battery supplier and partner is doing well.

Prev
ious, all they have only participated with 1/10 of this or so... this show they really do go all in with Tesla.

Housing Segment = Grid storage?
Auto Related Segments = Tesla?

Panasonic has been making comments praising Tesla for the past few weeks, and emphasizing the significance of its partnership with Tesla. I suspect we'll find out more about the Panasonic - Tesla partnership very soon.

Also, what ever happened to Elon's comment about needing hundreds of Gigafactories? Or comments about multiple variants of the Model 3? Something to think about.

This is fantastic news. As they don't want to be doing offerings too frequently, they are probably thinking ahead a year or two. Speculating a bit here, but it supports the idea we could hear commitments beyond the current Gigafactory plans. Particularly with the home stationary storage announcement coming, and hopefully some utility contract proposals moving forward.

Great news. GF should be ahead of schedule if the proceeds come to Nevada.

Panasonic only needs about $1B to go in on the Sparks Gigafactory. What could they possibly need the other $3.6 for. Compared to the Gigafactory and other Tesla relatex investments, how big could their investment in housing materials be? It seems they're upto something that is not yet revealed. My mind wants to race ahead to other possible engagements, but I think I'll keep silent on speculation.

Last edited:
Getting back to the Panasonic bond offering, it does strike me that this may clear the way for Tesla's home grid storage unveiling. Naturally, Panasonic is a major partner in building this new product, so it stands to reason that Tesla would hold back on an unveiling until Panasonic got its finances in order.

So we could be on the cusp of a major announcement.

This is indeed huge validation. Back when we held a roundtable Google Hangouts discussion with CapOp, I made the emphatic point that the Panasonic-Tesla partnership, which at the time was being discussed almost as a handout to the upstart Tesla, could in fact save Panasonic as a company from dwindling away into the abyss of low-margin commodity consumer electronics.

How ironic it would be if Tesla significantly helped turn around Panasonic.

I give massive, massive credit to the visionary Japanese executives who championed this bold business strategic shift for the company.

Panasonic and Tesla is a happy, happy relationship so far, and I see many more great things (and great profits) for both companies to come.

This is indeed huge validation. Back when we held a roundtable Google Hangouts discussion with CapOp, I made the emphatic point that the Panasonic-Tesla partnership, which at the time was being discussed almost as a handout to the upstart Tesla, could in fact save Panasonic as a company from dwindling away into the abyss of low-margin commodity consumer electronics.

How ironic it would be if Tesla significantly helped turn around Panasonic.

I give massive, massive credit to the visionary Japanese executives who championed this bold business strategic shift for the company.

Panasonic and Tesla is a happy, happy relationship so far, and I see many more great things (and great profits) for both companies to come.

The size of the bond offering and the mentioning of automotive investments (and "housing") is indeed exciting.

That said, I think it's worth reading this article linked below if you have not already. It sounded like great admiration of Tesla and Elon from Panasonic's President K. Tsuga, but an already mapped out staged process of increasing investment in the GF subject to change if future demand does not meet Tesla's projections. Perhaps Panasonic was just being coy about some news not as yet released, but Tsuga's comments do not have the tone of a company on the verge of a major increase of investment tied into Tesla's future (well, maybe they're encouraged enough to be sure to have cash on hand to spend in the next few years if Tesla realizes it's vision). Just think this is worth considering with the news of the bond offering.

Again, I recommend this article, several nice nuggets, my favorite being,

“So we asked ourselves, Who is most seriously thinking about EVs? Tesla. That’s why we are working so closely with them.”

http://fortune.com/2015/03/06/panasonic/?xid=yahoo_fortune

Last edited:
Toyota Recalls RAV4 EVs to Repair Tesla System Posing Crash Risk

I'm wondering if Tesla provides the buggy SW? Is that similar cause with some model S owners reported that power loss suddenly before?

A software flaw in the RAV4 EV’s propulsion system may cause the vehicle to shift into neutral and result in a complete loss of driving power, increasing the risk of a crash, according to a statement posted on Toyota’s U.S. website. Tesla supplied the component that Toyota dealers will repair, Cindy Knight, a Toyota spokeswoman, wrote in an e-mail.
Toyota doesn’t discuss supplier relations in the context of product recalls or cost details, Knight said. Ricardo Reyes, a Tesla spokesman, didn’t immediately respond to an e-mailed request for comment sent outside normal business hours.

EDITS: somehow I can't find such recall information from toyota us website.

Last edited:
Toyota Recalls RAV4 EVs to Repair Tesla System Posing Crash Risk

I'm wondering if Tesla provides the buggy SW? Is that similar cause with some model S owners reported that power loss suddenly before?

EDITS: somehow I can't find such recall information from toyota us website.

The NHTSA page on Rav 4 EV does not show any recalls, but there are several complaints about the car switching to neutral. Although the Bloomberg article mentions faulty software, the reports indicate that these incidents were followed by Toyota replacing the drive units. It looks like this is a software issue, but perhaps RAV4 EV is not a continuously internet connected vehicle, so the drive unit software need to be re-programmed. It is not clear to me whether drive unit replacement was linked to the shifting to neutral incident. If it was, could it be that unit is is sent back to Tesla for re-programming?

Status
Not open for further replies.