Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Me too...a bit disappointed though ;-)

It seems TSLA is just doing what NASDAQ is doing.
Anyway, after the rally of the last few days/weeks, it is not strange we give a bit of ground, and we broke the 250, not too long ago we were at 180...

Hopefully the next time we go back toward 250 it sticks and we hold it. As now we cleared out most of those people setting in limit orders for profit taking.

This is interesting. An EV rebate up to $3000, was just announced for Connecticut.

DEEP: CHEAPR - Eligible Vehicles

Governor Malloy: Gov. Malloy Announces New Incentive in Connecticut Providing Rebates of Up to $3,000 to Buy or Lease an Electric Vehicle

"The maximum $3,000 rebate is available for vehicles with a battery capacity of 18 kWh or greater of (I think they meant to say or?) for any fuel cell electric vehicle. "

• The maximum $3,000 rebate is available for vehicles with a battery capacity of 18 kWh or greater of for any fuel cell electric vehicle. Vehicles in this category include (but are not limited to?) the Nissan Leaf, VW e-Golf, Ford Focus Electric, BMW i3, and Mercedes Benz B class.

• A $1,500 rebate is available for vehicles with a batter capacity of seven to 18 kWH. Vehicles in this category include the Chevy Volt, Ford C-Max and Fusion Energi.​

• A $750 rebate is available for vehicles with a battery capacity of less than 7 kWH, such as the 2015 model year Toyota Prius Plug-In. "​

Update: It looks like the incentive only applies to electric vehicles that are under $60,000. On the plus side, the Model 3 will qualify.

Why does the Toyota Mirai qualify? The Toyota Mirai can't currently be purchased anywhere, and will cost over $60,000 assuming it is ever sold anywhere.
The Hyundai Tucson Fuel Cell can't be purchased anywhere and can't be leased in Connecticut. Why is it on the list?

Last edited:
So you are suggesting that this may be a hoax? If there is bad Chinese in this text, that would be suspicious.

I think it's more than a marginal possibility. I was just kidding re the bad Chinese... hedge funds, entrenched interests, etc, could certainly find there way to someone who could of written this in native Chinese. I'm not saying this is what happened, but this coming out on a day that already had enough dubious negative Tesla "news" for the consensus here to see it as a bear attack, raised a bit of a flag for me. I really wouldn't find this being a hoax any more bold a move than the clear consistent bias in Tesla reporting among the Rupert Murdoch vehicles, or the nonsense that Cory Johnson has managed to say on Bloomberg for over three years, among other things we've seen.

The Mirai will have an MSRP of $57,500 in the USA even though the cost to produce it is well in excess of $100k.

I guess they hope fuel cells will eventually come to Conn.

I think the initial MSRP for the Mirai $58,325. If you include any extras, the price easily goes over $60,000. That is, unless Toyota dealers have been heavily incentivized to make sure that doesn't happen. This also assumes Toyota allows anyone to buy the Mirai.

"In January 2015 it was announced that production of the Mirai fuel cell vehicle would increase from 700 units in 2015 to approximately 2,000 in 2016 and 3,000 in 2017"

Clearly Toyota has "big plans" for the Mirai. :wink:

Toyota Mirai production to be increased

Last edited:
I think the initial MSRP for the Mirai $58,325. If you include any extras, the price easily goes over $60,000. That is, unless Toyota dealers have been heavily incentivized to make sure that doesn't happen.

Conn law says BASE MSRP excluding destination or any other charges must be below $60k. Does not matter if you include extras. As long as it is possible to buy a stripper under $60k.

http://www.toyota.com/mirai/fcv.htm...odel_FCV|Mirai_General|FCV+Copy+Refresh+4.22|

According to Toyota BASE MSRP is $57,500. Even if it was $61k in CA it would MSRP in Conn for $59,999.

BTW It appears there will not be many options on the Mirai.

Conn law says BASE MSRP excluding destination or any other charges must be below $60k. Does not matter if you include extras. As long as it is possible to buy a stripper under $60k.

http://www.toyota.com/mirai/fcv.htm...odel_FCV|Mirai_General|FCV+Copy+Refresh+4.22|

According to Toyota BASE MSRP is $57,500. Even if it was $61k in CA it would MSRP in Conn for $59,999.

I couldn't find the section that said the BASE MSRP has to be below $60,000. Can you show me where it says that? That was the first thing I looked for.

Tesla Model S/X $59,999.99. Optional battery "package" 15-60k depending on which option you go with.

problem solved :)

I couldn't find the section that said the BASE MSRP has to be below $60,000. Can you show me where it says that? That was the first thing I looked for.

http://http://www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?a=2684&q=561424&deepNav_GID=2183

All vehicles on this list are eligible for a rebate under the Connecticut Hydrogen and Electric Automobile Purchase Rebate (CHEAPR) program. Explore the many eligible vehicle models below and take advantage of this offer before funds expire!

Rebates of up to $3,000 are available and rebate amounts are based on the battery size of the vehicle. Vehicles must be highway capable and have a base MSRP under $60,000 to be program eligible. Battery electric vehicles (BEV), fuel cell electric vehicles (FCEV), and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEV) are eligible for the following rebates:

Rebate Amount
Required Battery Capacity
$3,000Greater than 18 kWh or any fuel cell electric vehicle
$1,5007 - 18 kWh
$750Less than 7 kWh

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla Model S/X $59,999.99. Optional battery "package" 15-60k depending on which option you go with.

problem solved :)

Conn Government would rule that the base Model S/X is not highway capable and therefore not eligible. :crying:

Elon's tweet, for those who missed it. This thing is going to be ginormous!

elontweet2.png

Remember the movie 'Contact' where the world joined forces to make the 'Machine' whose construction plans were beamed down to us from advanced civilizations out in the universe? And how that crazy guy messed things up during a test and the Machine spun out of control and was destroyed?

And then they revealed that they had built a second one in Japan! Wouldn't it be awesome that while this 1/4 scaled gigafactory was being built in Nevada, another GIGAFACTORY 4 times as large was being built somewhere else, totally top secret!?!

My vote would be Trinity Site in New Mexico, area of historically concentrated energy production.

That would be cool, but I'd be satisfied, if they would just tell us what their actual cost per kWh was once they've got the GF 0.25 upto speed.

To give a little context on this remark, I have grown tired of Lux Research acting as if they are the authority on battery research when their projections are so far behind the curve. Recently they have come out with this grand forecast that batteries will be 35% cheaper in 10 years. Oh, really? What makes them think that Tesla has not already beat that cost and will drive it down another 30% within 18 months. I really wish Tesla would set the record straight. Lux has been the voice of status quo on batteries for far too long. They have lulled auto and utility investors into thinking that EV and battery disruption are well off in the future. This is ultimately a disservice to these industries leaving them to think they have more time to delay. I think if the auto industry really knew how much of a cost lead Tesla has on them, they would panic. So why not tell the world what the going price really is?

Last edited:
That would be cool, but I'd be satisfied, if they would just tell us what their actual cost per kWh was once they've got the GF 0.25 upto speed.

To give a little context on this remark, I have grown tired of Lux Research acting as if they are the authority on battery research when their projections are so far behind the curve. Recently they have come out with this grand forecast that batteries will be 35% cheaper in 10 years. Oh, really? What makes them think that Tesla has not already beat that cost and will drive it down another 30% within 18 months. I really wish Tesla would set the record straight. Lux has been the voice of status quo on batteries for far too long. They have lulled auto and utility investors into thinking that EV and battery disruption are well off in the future. This is ultimately a disservice to these industries leaving them to think they have more time to delay. I think if the auto industry really knew how much of a cost lead Tesla has on them, they would panic. So why not tell the world what the going price really is?

They *are* in full blown panic, which explains their denial and stupor - like state.

I am waiting to see whether any of them would wake up, make a big gulp, and ask for Tesla's help (license Tesla technology - "Tesla Inside")

They *are* in full blown panic, which explains their denial and stupor - like state.

I am waiting to see whether any of them would wake up, make a big gulp, and ask for Tesla's help (license Tesla technology - "Tesla Inside")

Hey, Vlad, did you catch my latest theory that fossil peak power plants are stranded assets starting 2020-2024? This is coming on much faster than I had previously thought. 60 GW of fossil peak capacity is added each year, but what has been recently added may never pay for itself. That possibility should frighten investors, banks and utilities. This is a train wreck in slow motion.

Hey, Vlad, did you catch my latest theory that fossil peak power plants are stranded assets starting 2020-2024? This is coming on much faster than I had previously thought. 60 GW of fossil peak capacity is added each year, but what has been recently added may never pay for itself. That possibility should frighten investors, banks and utilities. This is a train wreck in slow motion.

Don't worry about the banks, if nothing else they will make money on the bankruptcy sales.

Teslas New Strategy Is Over 100 Years Old - HBR

One way Tesla Energy does this is by using the batteries to help justify massive investments in the core electric car business. The new products create new markets for the gigantic (well, “giga”) battery factory the company hopes will propel the car business to scale. In much the same way, Edison and his circle developed and sold electric household appliances like the clothes iron to create demand for electricity during the daytime: they were leveraging the system they invented to create new product categories that in turn increased demand for their system in the first place.

More fundamentally, these batteries add value through a software overlay that manages their use and creates, along with the batteries in Tesla’s cars, a network of energy storage devices that will become increasingly valuable first to the existing utilities and eventually as a full-blown renewable energy alternative as it scales. If this works, Tesla will ultimately control a global power network, positioning itself as the utility of tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.