Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember the movie 'Contact' where the world joined forces to make the 'Machine' whose construction plans were beamed down to us from advanced civilizations out in the universe? And how that crazy guy messed things up during a test and the Machine spun out of control and was destroyed?

And then they revealed that they had built a second one in Japan! Wouldn't it be awesome that while this 1/4 scaled gigafactory was being built in Nevada, another GIGAFACTORY 4 times as large was being built somewhere else, totally top secret!?!

My vote would be Trinity Site in New Mexico, area of historically concentrated energy production.

Hey, that's MY favorite movie! I think the line was something like "rule number 1 of government projects: Why build one when you can build two for twice the price?!". This is not a government project Cattledog, but it would be pretty cool.

Re gigafactory Elon tweeting we are seeing just a quarter of the GF :

Elon's tweet, for those who missed it. This thing is going to be ginormous!

I am a bit confused now. Is this pilot plant the one that is outputting 50GWh worth of batteries per year starting in 2016 and will the real deal output 200GWh? Or will they build this structure out 4x larger to full size come 2016? Or are they readying a quarter of the GF by 2016 to output 12.5GWh and will the rest be added in phases as the needs arise/capital becomes available?

I am a bit confused now. Is this pilot plant the one that is outputting 50GWh worth of batteries per year starting in 2016 and will the real deal output 200GWh? Or will they build this structure out 4x larger to full size come 2016? Or are they readying a quarter of the GF by 2016 to output 12.5GWh and will the rest be added in phases as the needs arise/capital becomes available?

Elon is just saying that the the Gigafactory building in the video (Gigafactory #1, Nevada) is going to be 4 times bigger when it's finished. However, the "pilot plant" (which they have referred to as the "pilot line" in recent conference calls) will have an entire soup-to-nuts production line where elements/ore go in one end, and battery packs come out the other end, and will start up 2015Q4 or early 2016. I assume they will put a full set of walls around the sides of it, even if it will be expanded later.

Also, I would hesitate to take Elon's words "1/4 size" and assume from that there will be four production lines when the Gigafactory is fully built & operational. They could be building the outer shell in quarters, but the initial pilot line that is inside doesn't necessary fill it... they could have five or more.

It's my understanding that Gigafactory #1 won't reach 100% operational speed until approx. 2019. Its production speed will match what is going on with battery use across the rest of the company. So, as Model 3+S+X and Powerwall production ramps up, Gigafactory #1 will have extra lines installed in tandem. It's very costly to install all that battery production capacity and not have ways to sell it. Likewise, there's no point building thousands of automotive shells if you can't put a battery pack into them.

First time I have heard Tesla Motors adding Malaysia to their Asia/Pacific sales region:
Introducing Model S Sedans in Malaysia Via Unique Lease Arrangement
Tesla Motors Inc (NASDAQ:TSLA) is getting ready to introduce drivers in Malaysia to the incredible feeling of power you get when climbing behind the wheel of a Tesla Model S electric sedan. The company will officially launch its brand new Model S 70D, as well as Model S 85 luxury sedan in Malaysia during the second half of 2015 according to a statement. However, buyers won’t be able to purchase the vehicles until January or February of 2016 at the earliest.
Current indications are that approximately 120 Tesla Motors vehicles will be purchased by the Malaysian Green Technology Corporation or MGTC. The cars would then be made available by way of a leasing program for a two-year period. At the end of the 2 year lease the EVs can be sold to government officials or other GLCs (government-linked companies). The complete operation would be run by MGTC directly.

I read that as MGTC is doing this by importing Teslas, with no direct involvement of Tesla.

The following quote makes me think that it is Tesla Motors launching its brand in Malaysia:
The company [Tesla Motors] will officially launch its brand new Model S 70D, as well as Model S 85 luxury sedan in Malaysia during the second half of 2015 according to a statement.

I read it in a way that Malaysian Green Technology Corporation or MGTC purchases the vehicles directly from Tesla Motors and leases these vehicles to their customers in Malaysia.

Is this CSLA report what is driving the price lower?

"CLSA found that Tesla's sales pace has not improved despite its strategy shift. Analysts said inventories in China remain elevated."

One Reason Tesla (TSLA) Stock Is Trading in the Red - TheStreet

I don't think so. That report is 2 days old and has been discussed here before.

The only news I've found that could be related to today's price action is this...

The Federal Reserve's tightening cycle may be closer than expected, and Tesla Motors is among the stocks that investors should short during the liftoff, according to a note from J.P. Morgan on Monday. "We expect Tesla is going to have to raise a large amount of capital in coming years in order to fund its aggressive and capital-intensive plans to transition to becoming a mass market manufacturer - higher interest rates could make this capital more costly," analyst Ryan Brinkman said.

http://www.streetwisereport.com/tes...ysefcau-kandi-technologies-nasdaqkndi/117301/

http://www.topix.com/forum/com/tesla-motors/TU605BSULR55RLDJF

Of course, today's price action could be unrelated. Perhaps we're just experiencing a normal correction. We are due one after the previous few weeks. We're currently sitting just under the 23.6% fibonacci retracement level so it's a relatively shallow retracement thus far.

The FOMC meeting minutes are being released later today, so that may also affect the share price.

Last edited:
Quiet day. So much for the parade of analysts updating their stationary business PT.
http://rt.com/news/260477-solar-power-world-mit/

The CEO of Tesla industries, Elon Musk, has been a big advocate of trying to develop better batteries that could help to store electricity.

“Our goal here is to fundamentally change the way the world uses energy,” Musk said on April 30, Bloomberg reported. “We’re talking at the terawatt scale. The goal is the complete transformation of the entire energy infrastructure of the world.”

Status
Not open for further replies.