Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone here era knows how to interpret VINs. I was at launch event. Elons car was VIN ending in 0001

I do not really know how to read VINs.
Only thing I do know is that manufacturers have to code some properties of their vehicles in their VINs (like engine type).

Could this be a fake VIN for early production vehicles and thus higher than number of cars actually produced?

Well, as an engineer, I can tell you that to an engineer 1400 *is not* approximately the same as 1000. It is 40% more. :smile:

When dealing in orders of magnitude, yes they are approximately the same. 1400 and 1000 are both O(1000). The difference between them is irrelevant to someone focused on ramping production from O(1000) to O(10000) over the next two years.

I do not really know how to read VINs.
Only thing I do know is that manufacturers have to code some properties of their vehicles in their VINs (like engine type).

Could this be a fake VIN for early production vehicles and thus higher than number of cars actually produced?

I'm using the Model S VIN as a template, and this DOT document outlines what the digits mean. ftp://ftp.nhtsa.dot.gov/mfrmail/ORG10373.pdf

I really don't think a manufacturer is allowed to have fake VINs. Maybe it's a founder model meant to be used solely for stores and test drives? To me it does look like they've made a founder #84 Model X. Now, whether they've made #000007 to #000083 is the question. Do VINs have to be assigned sequentially?

so theres some kind of conference call? what time? surprised i hadnt heard about this already

edit: looks like its 11 am PST. cant find anything else.

Yes, this is crazy. Can someone else confirm the Tesla conference call at 11am PST. Apparently the topic is on V7.0.

Apparently Elon will take questions only related to V7.0.

IMO, Elon should use this media event to make a statement about 'Production'. He doesn't have to field questions on Production but say something at the beginning. He's made similar 'off topic' statements at the beginning of calls before

IMO, it's a serious missed opportunity if he doesn't comment on Production. I don't know if he's noticed, but TSLA has taken a $50+ hit in the last few weeks. All related to 'Production'/deliveries V guidance.

Yes, this is crazy. Can someone else confirm the Tesla conference call at 11am PST. Apparently the topic is on V7.0.

IMO, Elon should use this media event to make a statement about 'Production'. He doesn't have to field questions on Production but say something at the beginning. He's made similar 'off topic' statements at the beginning of calls before

IMO, it's a serious missed opportunity if he doesn't comment on Production. I don't know if he's noticed, but TSLA has taken a $50+ hit in the last few weeks. All related to 'Production'/deliveries V guidance.

Sounds like you think whatever he would have to say about production would be positive. You may not be happy with the information he could give.

I'm using the Model S VIN as a template, and this DOT document outlines what the digits mean. ftp://ftp.nhtsa.dot.gov/mfrmail/ORG10373.pdf

I really don't think a manufacturer is allowed to have fake VINs. Maybe it's a founder model meant to be used solely for stores and test drives? To me it does look like they've made a founder #84 Model X. Now, whether they've made #000007 to #000083 is the question. Do VINs have to be assigned sequentially?

Thanks for the pointer to this. Only 5 digits for unique serial number. What happens when Model Ξ comes out and they eventually produce more than 99,999? Do they go Alpha to increase allotment?

The Supreme Court Could Kill Tesla's Plan To Revolutionize The Smart Grid - Fortune

Does anybody have an opinion on how likely this ruling is to have a major negative affect on Tesla Energy sales? And the degree of the impact?

That op ed was so pointless. He just proved why Tesla energy is so lucrative. It can sell to the utilities + the consumer demand generation side. The vast majority of sales will come from businesses. The whole article hinges on the demand side of things where consumers get compensated for decreasing demand aka "selling back to grid." People don't buy Solar Panels for the sole purpose of making money, just like people don't buy Model S to save the planet. The Tesla team understands this and that's why it's making a compelling product. A couple of Powerpaks and Powerwalls would help immensely on the utility and consumer side in events like hurricances (I know from experience we could've used a couple of these in Sandy-- I also have engineer friends at ConEd who said a couple of Powerpaks would have been huge during that time).

I hate to say it, but he's milking Musk and Tesla for google clicks for an argument that doesn't make sense.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm glad he is doing this call because there's a lot of misinformation floating around about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.