Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With Elon's relationship with the Google founders you better believe he didn't take their VP without talking with them first. Talent is talent, but I could see this being the product of two vastly different conversations since you KNOW he didn't poach the guy but instead got their blessing.

Convo 1: Elon asked for help and thus was the only help they could provide. Give up their Finance guy that has been helping to keep Google raking in the profits.
Convo 2: Hey I heard you were looking for a CFO, how about ours? He is totally into Tesla and we want to help... Maybe you won't need to crash on our couch anymore and can finally afford your own place!

I dunno, not complaining either way. But Bob's comments could be plausible... That's all I'm saying. But it is Bob Lutz... So even if he is right, he is wrong... Lol.

With the recent corporate restructure at Google/Alphabet maybe his role was going to change.

Safety in Numbers: Charting Traffic-Safety and Fatality Data - Car and Driver

Didn't see anything newer than 2011, but 185 accidents per 100M miles. Which would be 1.85 per million. Again assuming 25% of the miles are autonomous, I would wager that there has likely been statistically enough miles that we should have had an accident by now. That being said, you also have to factor in that this is new to drivers so they are likely to be more aware of what is happening than less. This is part of the blame for why you have more accidents within a 15 mile radius of your house than you do outside that circle because those are the roads you are most familiar with and you get complacent.

Give it time, there will likely be something that someone will blame on the car and I am holding my breath that it doesn't bring this to a screeching halt.

My understanding of their response was it was close to 1 million "auto pilot" miles per day. JB initially said "around a few hundred thousand" and Elon stepped in and said close to a million. Anyone else here it this way? Either way it's still statistically to small IMO to draw a safety conclusion.

Automotive legend Bob Lutz says hiring away VP of Finance of the second most valuable company on Earth to be your CFO is a sign of a company in trouble.
Poor Bob, he can't understand how his industry is changing so he trashes the change agents. Here's a way to interpret the CFO move - the guy probably left an incredible position at Google, surrounded by brilliance, challenged daily to excel, making great money to take the job at Tesla. Probably means he sees more future for himself at Tesla. That suggests a lot to me.

I was thinking about taking money out of scty and putting into tsla. My hypothesis is tsla may get some momentum from this. It'd hurt to sell scty shares at this price though.

In my case SCTY options will expire worthless so cashing the 30% of what's left of their value won't give me much TSLA. I'm thinking if there's momentum it should happen within the next few days and then it's the unpredictable sentiment game again. SCTY on the other hand have been severely punished and now has better upside potential, although way too much externally driven (regulations etc.) than I'd like.

Zero hedge has one hit piece up as well. You can tell how these articles were pre-written hit pieces because they come out right after ER call as thousand word essays with nicely drawn up graphs. Either that or the amount of time it took for them to research the matter is less than an hour. I personally do not trust pre-written hit pieces nor 1 hour researches.

Funniest thing is how they are still attacking "revenue deferred due to lease accounting". As if they are a bunch of preschool financial illiterates. Then again, the article is probably written so that pre-school financial illiterates will sell based on emotions it generate.

Zero hedge has one hit piece up as well. You can tell how these articles were pre-written hit pieces because they come out right after ER call as thousand word essays with nicely drawn up graphs. Either that or the amount of time it took for them to research the matter is less than an hour. I personally do not trust pre-written hit pieces nor 1 hour researches.

Funniest thing is how they are still attacking "revenue deferred due to lease accounting". As if they are a bunch of preschool financial illiterates. Then again, the article is probably written so that pre-school financial illiterates will sell based on emotions it generate.

Yea, I don't even click on articles written by Paulo Santos or Anton anymore. I'm always on the lookout for the downside, but the same ole' song-and-dance is getting tiresome.

I'm thankful to hear that Model X production is finally going to ramp up, and TSLA providing some color on Tesla Energy.

I didn't notice when I first went through the earnings report but it was pointed out in another thread, There is a picture of a row of model X's on the production line with the robots. Anyone else miss that? Could be they are building X's and holding them for the final parts (seats and seals). This seems to be confirmed by the link above and the discussion of Bonnie's X.

Great Q3 2015 earnings call all! Congrats to those of us who stayed long and strong while picking up more shares gifted to us by the talking heads. One more thing that I would like to mention that I forgot to while the sentiment in the news was so "bad".... TSLA has a Google "put" (or AAPL put). That is, even when TSLA was about to fail in 2012, GOOG was going to buy the company and keep Elon on as the boss. This is now widely known from the biography by Ashley Vance. Fast-forward to 2015 and we see TSLA building out an undisputed network of EV charging stations, the world's biggest battery factory producing the worlds best EV and storage batteries, and arguably the worlds best real-world information for autopilot mapping. The specialized EV manufacturing capability of TSLA and technical know-how should also be noted here. AAPL or GOOG or another suitor would compete to purchase TSLA in a heartbeat if, heaven forbid, TSLA were to fail like Bob Lutz says it will. At this point, it is highly unlikely to happen, however it is nice to know there will always be a backstop company that would love to own TSLA and everything it has become. Happy trading tomorrow!

PS. To fellow Calgarian "CalgaryArsenal".... sorry for your loss if you were shorting. As always, win some and lose some. Happens to the best of us. Come aboard the long-train, I think there's going to be a lot more money to be made. Only thing that kept my nerves steely as I was accumulating more shares during this time of turmoil was my daily commute on autopilot in the best car in the world. Not very "technical" I know... but just a feeling you get when you climb into the cockpit of the Model S.

~1M miles per day on cars with autopilot hardware. That means accident avoidance and such are on, and what percentage was with autopilot engaged they haven't said.

I just suppose JB answered it somehow - if you see it in context with what Elon says after JB said several thousand - then Elon says almost million miles per day. So I assume JB said on autopilot miles and Elon said those miles for "with autopilot hardware".I dunno, just trying to break it down. ;)
STPb9nP.png

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by RobStark viewpost-right.png

Automotive legend Bob Lutz says hiring away VP of Finance of the second most valuable company on Earth to be your CFO is a sign of a company in trouble.

Sorry guys for everyone who took me seriously. Lutz did not actually make that comment.

I was making a sarcastic smartass joke.

And poking fun at Bob Lutz's recent Road & Track article "Is Tesla Doomed?" where he says Tesla shows all the signs of a company in trouble.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a26859/bob-lutz-tesla/

The Google VP of Finance deciding to resign from Google to join Tesla is great endorsement from an obviously very smart person in the future of Tesla.

Great Q3 2015 earnings call all! Congrats to those of us who stayed long and strong while picking up more shares gifted to us by the talking heads. One more thing that I would like to mention that I forgot to while the sentiment in the news was so "bad".... TSLA has a Google "put" (or AAPL put). That is, even when TSLA was about to fail in 2012, GOOG was going to buy the company and keep Elon on as the boss. This is now widely known from the biography by Ashley Vance. Fast-forward to 2015 and we see TSLA building out an undisputed network of EV charging stations, the world's biggest battery factory producing the worlds best EV and storage batteries, and arguably the worlds best real-world information for autopilot mapping. The specialized EV manufacturing capability of TSLA and technical know-how should also be noted here. AAPL or GOOG or another suitor would compete to purchase TSLA in a heartbeat if, heaven forbid, TSLA were to fail like Bob Lutz says it will. At this point, it is highly unlikely to happen, however it is nice to know there will always be a backstop company that would love to own TSLA and everything it has become. Happy trading tomorrow!

PS. To fellow Calgarian "CalgaryArsenal".... sorry for your loss if you were shorting. As always, win some and lose some. Happens to the best of us. Come aboard the long-train, I think there's going to be a lot more money to be made. Only thing that kept my nerves steely as I was accumulating more shares during this time of turmoil was my daily commute on autopilot in the best car in the world. Not very "technical" I know... but just a feeling you get when you climb into the cockpit of the Model S.

This is also the bull position in my world. After you drive the car for over a year you can't help but be excited about the possibilities. Despite ALL the commentary from competitors, entrenched interests, and general shorts. That is the sign of a really great company, when you actually use the product or service with confidence. If the iPhone and iPad are what catapulted Apple where it is today, those of us who drive a Tesla know it's only a matter of time till it surpasses all other companies. And I'm not going to apologize to anyone for saying that. The technology and infrastructure has a finite value today and in a competitive bid situation would bring quite a return in of itself. As stated so well above. No matter if the open today and ensuing days results in a rally or not. I still hold.

- - - Updated - - -

It wouldn't have anything to do with offering a person $500k a year in salary and a $15M equity grant. Right? How many qualified people do you think you could get to apply if you offered that package publicly? Heck, Lutz would probably even apply!

Status
Not open for further replies.