Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a feeling that the consensus here is that the members of this forum had an edge over the market before, but now everything is not as clear. Before we were able to look at the VINs and predict a beat, while the street had no idea until the quarterly report was released. Even though the VINs are not as great an estimate anymore, I still think we have an edge.

I'm thinking back to the time when TSLA was trading in the range between $30 and $40. TSLA was the first stock I bought back in early 2012 (I was 19 at the time). As time went by I couldn't understand how the price was still stuck below $40, even though it seemed the company was making huge progress. I bought more shares. The model S was released and the reviews were great. The backlog of order was (apperently) huge. I bought more shares again. Looking back I think I was somewhat lucky and didn't understand the full risk this company was facing. The share price didn't surge until they released profitability in Q1 2013.

Are we facing the same situation today? Yes, I think so in many ways. The share price is down YTD, and TSLA has certainly not been a great investment over the last two years (disregarding the dollar appreciation). The short interest is huge. It seems like the Model X is a great car, Tesla is making huge progress in all areas, but the profitability and positive cash flow is lacking. Many on this forum expect the share price (SP) to rise as soon as we get positive reviews, see increased Model X production or get updates from Elon at different events or twitter. I'm not saying these things don't affect the SP, but ultimately I think the big surge will happen when the company releases profitability and free cash flow. This will, in my view, not happen until Q1 2016. Exactly the same as what happened after Q1 2013. History repeats itself...

Another takeaway here is the underestimation of the risk Tesla is facing. Elon Musk is often hyping Tesla and the products. He is not lying, but definitely not showing us the true picture at all times. I think this was necessary in order to avoid people cancelling Roadster and Model S reservations in fear of bankruptcy. It has also generated a lot of free press. In the end he has delivered on all of his promises, and I think he will this time as well. However, there are major risks in scaling production of Model X, building out the Gigafactory and devoloping the Model III. Elon Musk and Tesla takes on huge (calculated) risks which is something I love about Tesla, but it is important to remember that a couple of bad events could put this company in a terrible situation.

I'm all in waiting for a huge surge in SP in 2016. I'm looking forward to more reviews on Model X, and they will hopefully reinforce my belief in Tesla, albeit I'm not expecting the share price to jump much. That's actually great news as that is giving us an edge over the market. We can buy 2018 leaps and stocks as we see Tesla's progress and sit back and wait for profitability and positive cash flow. Exactly the same way as a lot of the forum members here became Teslanaires during 2013.

I'm all in waiting for a huge surge in SP in 2016. I'm looking forward to more reviews on Model X, and they will hopefully reinforce my belief in Tesla, albeit I'm not expecting the share price to jump much. That's actually great news as that is giving us an edge over the market. We can buy 2018 leaps and stocks as we see Tesla's progress and sit back and wait for profitability and positive cash flow. Exactly the same way as a lot of the forum members here became Teslanaires during 2013.

Glad to hear you made some money with this company at such a young age. Problem today is that a lot more people know about Tesla now than in 2012 and many of them are waiting for Q1 2016 to jump in. The question is: when will we see them start to get excited/nervous and start cutting the lines to invest before Joe Blow dips in during Q1? Also, the bigger the short the bigger the squeeze... I'm pretending that this company is risk free, but the you're talking about today is nowhere near 2012.. whether the squeeze is happening in 4th Q or 1st Q doesn't matter to people me (and there are many like me), it's all but inevitable. Best!

The earliest you can expect profitability is Q1, but as stated in the Q3 call, it could end up being Q2. It's really dependent on how soon Tesla gets to steady state X production. The biggest risk in my mind right now is a potential X delay into January. Anyone want to calm my fears down?

The earliest you can expect profitability is Q1, but as stated in the Q3 call, it could end up being Q2. It's really dependent on how soon Tesla gets to steady state X production. The biggest risk in my mind right now is a potential X delay into January. Anyone want to calm my fears down?

It's a question of when, but not if, for most everyone here. Unless your livelihood depends on puts and calls, you'll be fine regardless of whether it's Q1 or Q3 :)

Positive free cash flow is not the same thing as profitability. TM has not been predicting profitability.

Positive free cash flow is not the same thing as profitability. TM has not been predicting profitability.

Indeed.
Actually IIRC Elon was quite clear. No (GAAP) profitability for quite some time, at least until 2020.

Elon Musk seeks to make Tesla profitable in 2020 with lower-cost Model 3 electric vehicle
Tesla Won’t Turn Profit Until 2020 - WSJ

Significant investments needed for the 'insane growth' that is on the planning.

Correct, TM could be 'cash flow positive' any quarter it chose randomly by just slowing down reinvestment in that quarter.

The market is inscrutable like that.

Regardless, much of the success with COP21 has come with the recognition that renewables and storage are cost competitive and economically beneficial in multiple ways. Embracing renewables are no longer viewed as a drain on the global economy. This is perhaps greater benefit for growing economies than in developed countries.

One other small point, the essential thing to keeping fossils in the ground is to drive down their prices to the point they are no longer worth drilling or mining. I do not view the crash in coal, gas and oil as an impediment to renewables. Rather it is the necessary condition to the rise of renewables.

Consider this. About 141 GW of solar is needed to offset 1 million barrels per day of demand for fossil fuels. (This is based on heat rate of 10350 BTU needed to generate 1 kWh in a steam generator.) This year the cumulative installed solar capacity should reach 233GW, which offsets 1.65 mb/d of fossil demand. If this continues to grow 30% per year, an additional 70 GW of solar will be installed in 2016, offsetting another 0.5 mb/d of fossil demand. While this may not seem like much, consider that demand for oil grew by only 1.6 mb/d this year leading to an enormous oversupply, and the IEA expects only 1.2 mb/d growth in oil demand in 2016. This decline in demand growth, 0.6 mb/d is comparable to the incremental supply that solar provides. No doubt wind will make a comparable contribution as well. So renewable are presently at a scale which disrupts fossil energy markets. By 2020, solar should cumulatively offset demand for 6.1 mb/d of fossil demand and incrementally destroy 1.4 mb/d in 2020. So at some time between 2016 and 2020 we should see solar eclipse any growth in demand for oil. That is, I expect demand for oil to enter persistent decline before 2020. Now it is difficult for solar and wind energy to directly compete in transportation fuel markets because there are too few plug-in vehicles. However, solar and wind are crushing demand for natural gas. Natural gas and oil compete in heating and petrochemical feedstock markets. As natural gas becomes ridiculously cheap it drives oil out of non-transportation markets. Thus, solar and wind are undermining overall demand for oil and not just demand for coal and natural gas. And this is why we will have a persistent glut in all three fossils.

After oil is driven out of hearing, feedstock and power generation markets by solar and wind, it will be necessary for renewables to compete directly in transportation. I figure that 25 million EVs are needed to displace 1 mb/d in demand for oil in transportation. Thus, we need to get to this annual production level before 2030. Sharing autonomous EVs may amplify impact per vehicle, allowing fewer EVs to offset 1 mb/d in oil demand. So autonomous EVS can accelerate the decline of oil.

Nice post, jhm. We need to get to the 'tipping point' where solar/batteries are cheaper than oil for just about every application as soon as possible.

Nice post, jhm. We need to get to the 'tipping point' where solar/batteries are cheaper than oil for just about every application as soon as possible.

I think solar is passed sufficient numbers of tipping points already, but batteries are really key to accelerating solar uptake. The majority of new electrical capacity in the US wind and solar. Gas still holds on to 40% or so. I think much of the demand for new gas capacity is either conversion of an existing coal plant to gas or a new gas plant to balace the grid. Batteries will soon satisfy any grid balancing need for new gas plants. This will simultaneously encourage the installation of wind and solar farms to charge grid batteries. So in the next few years we will continue to see new gas capacity fall, and solar and wind accelerate.

Already the Sierra Club and other environmental advocates are able to argue against new gas generator projects on grounds that batteries and renewables pose cheaper options in the coming years. Thus the pipeline of new gas projects could get increasingly thin. The fact that Tesla has led with Powerpacks priced at $250/kWh is already having a policy impact on what new proposals get approved for construction in the years to come. It's happening now.

LNG Glut Worse Than Oil | OilPrice.com

Check this out on just how bad the LNG glut is getting. Note by 2020 regasification capacity is expected to reach 50 mtpa (million tonnes per year), while supply capacity will add another 120 mtpa. Thus, supply capacity will exceed demand capacity about 2.4 to 1. This implies a massive oversupply problem going well into the 2020s. Thus, producers are desperate to export, but buyers are indifferent.

This article does not address why demand for LNG is declining in Asia. This is a common kind of blindness I see in analysis and reporting within the fossil fuel industry. Softness in demand is usually perceived as economic weakness in general demand. What is overlooks so easily is falling demand due to substitution. Asia is expanding solar at a rapid pace. The current price of LNG, $7.28/MMBTU, is a fuel cost of 8.5c/kWh. Solar beats this cost by a wide margin. But the LNG industry and its analysts seem oblivious to this huge premium LNG has to the price of solar. Just wait until battery production scale up. This will destroy even more demand for LNG. At 8.5c/kWh LNG fuel cost, Powerpacks can deliver storage for less cost than just fueling a gas peaker. So when LNG becomes too expensive for baseload and peak load, what is left? LNG is a bridge to nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.