Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SCOTUS Outcome Limited Impact

The Supreme Court Could Kill Tesla's Plan To Revolutionize The Smart Grid - Fortune

Does anybody have an opinion on how likely this ruling is to have a major negative affect on Tesla Energy sales? And the degree of the impact?

I'm on the list for both Powerwall and Powerpack and neither of my intended implementations will be affected by the SCOTUS ruling.

On a related note: I've been a residential solar PV, (with storage), customer for more than 14 years, even with my comparatively small and expensive lead-acid battery bank, I find energy storage to be extremely cost-effective and prudent. All it takes is 1 significant loss of grid for a day or two and the storage pays for itself, instantly, just from keeping my food from spoiling. And that's assigning a zero valuation to being able to live with modern conveniences through an otherwise very difficult time.

And there's more; I made certain to wire all of my electronics (computers, TV etc.) from the PV battery bank to protect sensitive electronics from grid spikes and fluctuations and I have yet to have an electronic device fail, which is atypical from my previous experience.

I think others have mentioned datacenters as being a large part of the market for the Powerpack/wall, again, that implementation should be unscathed by any imaginable legislative event.

Heard on NPR a week or so ago, that some for profit utilities, SCE, are fighting back the push to send energy back to the grid.... Its their grid, so a powerwall would insulate from push back from utilities in the US. In developing countries, from my experience such as pakistan, and likely india, they are power hungry and need energy to drive industry and plants. A reliable and cheap battery solution would be a huge positive instead of LNG generators etc....

That op ed was so pointless. He just proved why Tesla energy is so lucrative. It can sell to the utilities + the consumer demand generation side. The vast majority of sales will come from businesses. The whole article hinges on the demand side of things where consumers get compensated for decreasing demand aka "selling back to grid." People don't buy Solar Panels for the sole purpose of making money, just like people don't buy Model S to save the planet. The Tesla team understands this and that's why it's making a compelling product. A couple of Powerpaks and Powerwalls would help immensely on the utility and consumer side in events like hurricances (I know from experience we could've used a couple of these in Sandy-- I also have engineer friends at ConEd who said a couple of Powerpaks would have been huge during that time).

I hate to say it, but he's milking Musk and Tesla for google clicks for an argument that doesn't make sense.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm glad he is doing this call because there's a lot of misinformation floating around about it.

Nice, it's looking more and more like production has started.

I bet a beer on Musk mentioning progress of Model X ramp during today's call.
If I loose I'll spend 100EUR for the local folks here helping with the Syrian refugee crisis.
(I hope I win, that'll be cheaper;) )

Update:
Ahh, spending these 100EUR for the refugees anyways. So only question of beer / not to beer this evening remains;)

Last edited:
Nice, it's looking more and more like production has started.

Awesome, this is great news. Is there any chance those vehicles are for display (or any purpose other than deliveries)? I feel like somebody would've said something about confirmed delivery date or further validation of their deliveries, and that they would be on the west coast, if Xs were so close to being deliveried. Either way, this is great news and I hope Musk is able to speak to X production on today's call (but most likely will be all auto-pilot related).

I don't quite get how production could have started without Bonnie reporting on it. In fact, both Sig #1 and #2 are TMCers, so we would have heard.It could be, that:
1, The Reddit user mistook some S-es as X-es.
2, Tesla is shipping some Release Candidates to stores, like they shipped Model S Betas to stores before production ramp allowed production cars to be displayed.
3, The Founder series is more the just the 6 cars and some of them could not /did not want to receive them on the 29th.

Where is the rumor? The guy (aznt) is playing hide and seek.

Come find me. haha. Anyway, I don't have my source on paper and I am not the guy on reddit (for the record). Founders is definitely more than six cars and I will revise my "couple of hundred" statement to 100-200 my fingers got too type happy. My source: conversations overheard at a Tesla location...

Status
Not open for further replies.