Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 Reason Tesla's a Favorite in the Self-Driving Car Race -- The Motley Fool
<Snip>
For investors, the autonomous vehicle phenomenon presents a different kind of puzzle. Clearly, there's money to be made from this emerging technology, but what's the best way to do it?

Betting on new technology may not be as easy as it seems. In 1999, Warren Buffett explained why he was sitting out the internet boom, noting that past breakthrough technologies had led to only a handful of winners. Buffett noted that the number of automakers in the country had winnowed from 2,000 in its early days to just three, while in the first half of the 20th century, there were hundreds of airplane manufacturers but only a few left today. Similar patterns unfolded with radio and TV as the nature of new industries is to attract competition, but, like evolution, as the new technology matures, only the strongest companies survive. Buffett was vindicated a couple years later when the tech bubble went bust and the Nasdaq lost more than 75% of its value. A host of companies like Pets.com and Webvan famously imploded.

The car industry carries similar hallmarks to past emerging technologies. There will be winners and losers, but the latter will likely outnumber the former. It's too early to say what will happen, but if the history of emerging industries offers any lessons, it seems to be that betting on smart leadership may be the best way to profit.
<Snip>
In today's automotive world, no entrepreneur has been more revolutionary than Tesla's Elon Musk. Tesla has bucked long odds to become the first new American automaker in generations, and Musk's other big ideas like the Hyperloop, SolarCity, and SpaceX show his ability to think big.
<Snip>
Like Bezos, Jobs, and Ford before him, Musk is a visionary, and Tesla's track record is a testament to its capability as a disruptor.
Surprised that he didn't mention OTA SW Updates, but since he's writing about one reason I agree with him.

The easy world of big money in energy generation and storage? Tesla is very well differentiated with plenty of IP in the electric car biz. Electricity is much more of a commodity business. Even Panasonic is a competitor.

It is not. BES customers do not buy battery cells. The battery packs are quite different. Panasonic's home battery system is inferior to Tesla's. It does not have active temperature control, and, as a consequence, can be operated only up to max temperature of 40 Deg. C, and can't be operated below freezing. Tesla's battery can be operated in much wider range of temperatures: -20°C to 50°C. As it is directly cooled, Tesla battery pack is also rated for higher charge/discharge rate: 0.52C vs 0.25C for Pana. Panasonic does not have an alternative to Tesla's PowerPack.

BES is not a commodity business, by a long shot. May be in a decade or two, not now.

Last edited:
So are we entering short-squeeze territory now? Or...
According to the following yes.
If Justin Pullitzer says the squeeze is in if we stick 227.50 and hold, there is no doubt in my mind it will happen. He is superb with the charts.
But I'm surprised if $228 is enough to trigger a squeeze. But it sounds like an expert says that it will. I'd love to have Jesse's opinion!

So the price of SCTY jumped in final hour to $25.04. TSLA declined to $220.40. So the closing spread is $15.15 down from $19.48 at close yesterday.

I'd like to see SCTY get up to $26.5, then I think TSLA and SCTY can start moving upward in parallel. When TSLA is at $220 and SCTY at $26.5, the spread is about $2.79. The spread needs to get small enough that the arbitrage opportunity is not worth the hassle or risk.

An interesting scenario here is that as the price of SolarCity converges to parity with Tesla this could trigger a short squeezed in SCTY. If this happens it could drive the price of SCTY well above parity with TSLA, in which case the spread becomes substantially negative. If that were to happen, one could sell shares of SCTY at a premium to TSLA and buy back TSLA shares. One may need to be a quick trader to make good on this. Even so, such trading would then transfer the rise in SCTY to TSLA. It could even become a spectacular double supernova.

Date Spread
7/14 Close $19.48
7/15 Close $15.15
7/17 Close $11.99
7/18 recent $11.97

So as the spread has tightened up, Tesla is able to jump up. Perhaps as spread of $12 is tight enough.

Reactions: LargeHamCollider
B: I am quite new to short term trading/investing, and I have based all my predictions on the information I got here and elsewhere, but these were all based on a change in how the market perceived the company, never on technicals. I would like to read up on how technical analysis works and how to use it myself. Do you all know any good books / series / online courses that explain the basics of technical analysis well to a laymen like me?
My opinion was that reading charts and reading tea leaves were both equally effective. Watching this video of DaveT and Jesse completely changed my mind. Highly recommended:
Google+ video hangouts (TSLA & other investments)

Reactions: GoTslaGo
I consider Elon's behavior to be very poor form. It's not like the rocket launch unexpectedly just came up! He has a very poor handle on his schedule and is doing a terrible job managing expectations. Stock doesn't care for whatever reason (but it might simply be a technical reason than a fundamental strengthening belief in the story). Really does not bode for Model 3 launch or ramp. This behavior of missing publicly announced high profile deadlines has became a total habit.

I'm expecting a squeeze of sorts to happen. I'm most certainly going to lighten up into the squeeze. He wont be delivering a trillion dollar market-cap in 10 years with these sorts of misses big and small.

Status
Not open for further replies.