Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From the Fidelity newsfeed (bolded by me):

Market Chatter: Mobileye Gains 2% - Tesla CEO Musk Visits Israel to See Developments on Autopilot Driving System

MIDNIGHT TRADER 12:40 PM ET 3/29/2016

12:40 PM EDT, 03/29/2016 (MT Newswires) -- Shares of Mobileye(MBLY) were higher Tuesday after Israel's Globes reported Tesla Motors(TSLA) CEO Elon Musk visited the company's office in Israel to see firsthand the state of development on key components that will be used for Tesla's automatic driving system Autopilot.

Sources cited by Globes said Musk was shown a demonstration of several breakthrough developments relating to Tesla's self-driving vehicle system on a trial Model S vehicle.

According to the report, Mobileye's(MBLY) system that will be installed on the Model S and other Tesla models will feature some built-in capabilities that will lie dormant initially and be ready to come into operation once regulatory barriers on self-driving vehicles are lifted.

While I agree that announcements typically don't have an effect (with the exception of delivery figures), this time I'm not so sure. Thursday is going to be a historic moment for the auto industry, let alone Tesla. I'm not one to overhype things but this might just be like that first iPhone announcement where a select few were aware, but later took the mainstream.

We have people who are still dumping on the Model S and X with the same arguments used since they were being made. Keep in mind Tesla is a company that was not supposed to exist (according to those who short), but yet here we are a whole 2 vehicles, main stream market introduction, powerwall, 15K staff, and a whole gigafactory later... and yet short interest is still incredibly high.

It's going to take cajones to take any short term trade position long or short, but in the long run I don't think there's anything to debate about

Like a huge idiot, I went 50% into AAPL to cross the announcement, and gained nothing. That's when I realized announcements don't have positive effect. I missed out on huge TSLA gains in the same period (which I subsequently may have lost due to my account not having proper day trade buying power amount which got me paranoid the following day when it threw errors at me and then I had deer in headlights the next day, so who knows for real).

AAPL since the fall of 2012 is very different and probably not instructive for TSLA. They have huge market cap problems unique to them and therefore what product intros even mean to their stock. Instead, the hey days of 2001 through mid 2012 are probably more instructive, sans the financial crisis period.

Reactions: InTheShadows
I'm not one to overhype things but this might just be like that first iPhone announcement where a select few were aware, but later took the mainstream.

I've been thinking about this the same way too, but isn't the issue then that if it's still going to be only the "select few" (the smart ones) who are aware after March 31st, how is that going to affect stock price short term? Did AAPL explode upward after iPhone 1 was announced or was it first after several earning beats that the awareness kicked in for the majority of investors?

• Informative
Reactions: LST
From the Fidelity newsfeed (bolded by me):

Market Chatter: Mobileye Gains 2% - Tesla CEO Musk Visits Israel to See Developments on Autopilot Driving System

MIDNIGHT TRADER 12:40 PM ET 3/29/2016

12:40 PM EDT, 03/29/2016 (MT Newswires) -- Shares of Mobileye(MBLY) were higher Tuesday after Israel's Globes reported Tesla Motors(TSLA) CEO Elon Musk visited the company's office in Israel to see firsthand the state of development on key components that will be used for Tesla's automatic driving system Autopilot.

Sources cited by Globes said Musk was shown a demonstration of several breakthrough developments relating to Tesla's self-driving vehicle system on a trial Model S vehicle.

According to the report, Mobileye's(MBLY) system that will be installed on the Model S and other Tesla models will feature some built-in capabilities that will lie dormant initially and be ready to come into operation once regulatory barriers on self-driving vehicles are lifted.
Additional details on the subject are here.

Additional details on the subject are here.
OFF TOPIC again; sorry.
I just find it amusing and enlightening that VW has a problem updating a software glitch that can perilously immobilize the car BECAUSE it wants to rely on third party service joints instead of OTA updates - or even snail mailing out a thumb drive with instructions to the owners that want to choose their hassle.

OFF TOPIC again; sorry.
I just find it amusing and enlightening that VW has a problem updating a software glitch that can perilously immobilize the car BECAUSE it wants to rely on third party service joints instead of OTA updates - or even snail mailing out a thumb drive with instructions to the owners that want to choose their hassle.

Not off topic to me as long as there are only a few posts about it. It signals that Tesla still has the upper hand, which should show customers which product to buy, which should show future demand, which could increase the price of the stock....It's the kevin bacon of threads.

I assume that was a joke right? Someone remarking on the ticker after the fact?

BTW I have been calling this for a month and explained why and repeated it today. You know actionable stuff.

Anyone else interested in yesterday's news about what the stock was? Please carry on, and aplologies for the interruption.

Okay, blocked.

Hint: The level of surprise is not priced in, the stock will go up. Probably there will a de-risking dip on the 30th or 31st for an optimum entry.

Yes Julian my last post was a joke. BTW I do find some of your theories useful. I would hope you keep posting in this thread if not in a slightly more restrained way. I also hope you start your own thread with your more fleshed out theories in full form. I would read it.

Post market day analysis - so I was banking on Yellen's statement today to influence the macro environment this afternoon. Bought Apr15 235 calls at the open this morning fairly cheap and hoping Yellen's statement later in the day would trigger my limit sell order. It did.

Love it when my plan comes together, which isn't often, which is why I only post when it works.

Well, I had $235's, $240's and $250's today that were up big as the SP climbed from $225/226 to $232, but then the price dropped back to about par when the SP dropped back to $229. Luckily I lightened up a bit between $231 and $232, but definitely didn't capture nearly as much of the movement as I could have... I had thought we'd be slightly more up, maybe $234 today.

Indeed.

I would be very happy to read interesting stuff having to do with the short-term stock-price movement and not monster long discussion about general topics :-(
Like we had a few months ago.
I am reminiscing about the "short-term social chat" thread we had in 2014 - I'm afraid it was a moderator nightmare though...

Well, I had $235's, $240's and $250's today that were up big as the SP climbed from $225/226 to $232, but then the price dropped back to about par when the SP dropped back to $229. Luckily I lightened up a bit between $231 and $232, but definitely didn't capture nearly as much of the movement as I could have... I had thought we'd be slightly more up, maybe $234 today.

Me thinks all the shorts are waiting for the reveal and Q1 delivery numbers. Mostly day traders and nervous longs at this point. Buckled in and waiting to "shoot the gap" to new and higher ground.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ulmo
No Buy on the rumor increase in SP over the last 5 days. Seems like tomorrow will hover around 230 as well. If there isn't a rise on the News Thursday and Friday, then I truly don't understand the market (just like I didn't after Tesla met guidance numbers in the beginning of January, right when the macro headwinds hit).

No Buy on the rumor increase in SP over the last 5 days. Seems like tomorrow will hover around 230 as well. If there isn't a rise on the News Thursday and Friday, then I truly don't understand the market (just like I didn't after Tesla met guidance numbers in the beginning of January, right when the macro headwinds hit).

I think a rise is 100% dependent on reservation numbers. So Tesla need to share those or if there is long lines and other indications then it can happen anyway. But the market is skeptical. So just the event or buzz around it won't do. If it would then I think we should have seen the effect already.

Reactions: BornToFly
Status
Not open for further replies.