Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the discussion whether Tesla should or should not reveal the reservation count and when, I do not think they will, unless they NEED to buttress their story designed to facilitate capital raise for the second automobile factory.

At this point there is absolutely NO need to do this. The Ginny is out of the bottle. The brilliant plan to bring people into the stores for the whole world to actually see that there is demand far exceeding any historically based precedents for the product STARTING at $35K, site not seen, and the one that will not get into the consumer hands before 2018 succeeded beyond anybody's expectations.

Only heard the opposite reportedly from Tesla store staff in Australia.
I think there have been very well reasoned arguments by Julian and others against revealing the reservation number. I am going to be a contrarian on this. Model III is different. Momentum is building toward the event. Many eyes, old, new, analysts, potential investors, new reservation holders, potential new reservation holders - will be tuned in tonight. California will finish up the in-store reservations strong. An announcement of reservations in weeks or months would be anti-climactic and assumptions to whether announcing reservation numbers would tamp down demand or spur demand could be argued either way.

I think the rabbit comes out of the hat.....and it's a big, f'ing rabbit.

I can't imagine an Australian staffer has the inside track on Elon's short-term, high level strategy plays. Not sure why you keep citing him/her. I think it's quite clear that Elon will be speaking to the high interest, though perhaps not giving a precise number. Look at his tweets already - mentioning CNBC poll and needing faster production, mentioning that he is inspired by high demand, offering a token of gratitude to people that wait in line, etc.

Clearly, he wants the story to be about high high the demand is. Part of that story is talking about the magnitude of the reservations. I agree he won't speak in terms of "2018-2019 sold out!" because that would suppress demand/interest. I think he will talk in broad figures, e.g., "over 100,000 already" or whatever.

I look at it like this. Control must rest in the hands of Musk. He has never had as much control over anything as he has today. The stores will not be allowed to say anything off their own bat.

Musk will only let numbers out (whether store orders or online orders) when they are suitably into the astronomical realm. On his scale not mine, of course, so I don't have any idea at what sort of numbers his threshold may lie.

The sooner that the mounting tally is visible to everyone, the more bullish I will be.

Throwing my guess in.

I think if they really do have enough reservations to sell out the planned 2017/2018 production, Musk *has* to announce it, in order to avoid disappointing people. This would most likely be combined with a capital raise to, well, expand 2017/2018 production.

If they don't have that many reservations... well, the biggest projection I read in the press was 100,000. If he beats the best analyst estimate, I bet he announces it. Adn yes it'll be vague.

"Buy on the rumour" is out the window now... the investment community is seeing solid evidence of consumer interested in the car - and it's all around the world, not just "on home turf."

Consumer interest is a legitimate factor - not just the reveal event - since we (and the investment community) knows that not everything will be revealed tonight.

We have definitely begun crossing into the "sell on the news" period, and +2.78% TSLA is doing pretty darn well considering there's only 5hrs trading left before the event. I think the lines outside stores is playing a significant part.

Martin, please be careful with this. IMO the Sell On the News thesis is the suckers bet.

Putting on a Seeking Alpha style bearish hat for a minute (not a good fit I can tell you) - Watching Musk's sheep answer his call to line up in shopping malls for a stock pumping photo op /hat off. Is NOT the news.

The news is that Tesla has undeniably and self-evidently broken the ICE technology moat on automotive, forever - that's the news. You could not convince a short to anticipate this news on the rumor even if you paid him and most longs would find this to be a proposition worthy of skepticism too.

The shorts will have to wear this breach of denial like a hat tonight and it will be pulled all the way down to their ankles come Monday. We may even get treated to concession speeches from other auto maker CEOs over the weekend with pitiable pleas for consumer calm and forbearance while they try to do what they can to catch up.

Last edited:
OK. So at least you get the point that the primary outcome of spelling the beans on M3 reservation numbers would be to encourage Tesla's enemies to attack sooner rather than later by any means at their disposal. Note that big oil and big auto does not have the ability to attack in good faith with a competing product - hence this would be inviting foul play only. The other effect would be to encourage Apple etc to redouble their competitive efforts and risk splitting the industry standards for the future of the auto industry that Tesla is otherwise able to establish around its own platform.

Musk seems like a nice enough guy but he's not in the category of nice but dim.

Musk has explicitly stated multiple times that his goal is to move the entire auto industry to BEV as soon as possible. As a TSLA investor I agree that it may not be in the best interest of the share price, but don't forget what Musk is trying to do goes well beyond TSLA valuation.

Minneapolis store has 350 people when the reservation started. Some people reserving 2, do not know the exact percentage. I think this store's reservation will reach 600~800 before online reservation starts. This is the only store in Minnesota, so the number could be misleading. I guess those who reserve online will see 100,000 people ahead of them (200 stores X 500 each store + employee reservation). Those who reserve tomorrow probably will see 150,000~200,000 ahead of them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.