Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I pull the trigger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right now, going through a lot of mixed feelings. After a home, this is the biggest purchase I would be making and the probably the biggest I will ever make on an automobile. My biggest concern is buyer's remorse, mainly due to the cost. This is somewhat affordable ($400 more than what I used to pay for 2 cars!) but I'm locked for the next 7 years (I don't have payments right now).

I will be coming from a 8 year old Prius.

Here is my config

Model S 60
Deep Blue Metallic Paint
All Glass Panoramic Roof
Matte Obeche Wood Decor
Grey Next Generation Seats
Autopilot Convenience Features
Premium Upgrades Package
Smart Air Suspension

Your feedback is much appreciated.

If I buy, my intention would be to keep the car for the next 8-10 years. However, it would be nice to have the option to get a newer model, especially given Tesla's track record of changing things up frequently.

What are your thoughts on Model S' value in the future? Would Model 3 cannibalize S?

Also, how does the ordering process go? If I place an order today, do I get to pick a delivery date? Do I get to change the design? Is it better to go to the Tesla Store and have a DS advise through the design process?

Sorry for asking so many questions in a single post :)

Thanks!

Personally I would ditch the air suspension. It is just another thing it maintain/tear up.
Everyone is worried about cannibalizing model S sales with the model 3, but I few it as 7 series BMW vs 3 series. Totally different cars.
If you order today you pay deposit. You choose your delivery and have 7 days to alter design before it is confirmed. If I had a store nearby I would go and order it there just for fun. It is done tho exactly the same way as you would at home, via the website.

I pulled the trigger myself 1.5 weeks ago, but you can choose the delivery month you want during check out or have a DS change it... they said they could push it out up to 12 months from the date of the deposit if you chose. Once the vehicle starts being manufactured you will get a delivery window, and then you can begin scheduling the delivery. I'm not sure when to expect yet (and I have a confirmed order w/ a VIN); however, I'm hoping for a day in early August.

I agree with @BigAirHarper that the air suspension is likely unnecessary. I'd likely swap it for the dual motors for increased range & performance.

Also the Model S is a full size luxury sedan vs a mid-size sedan... I agree again that the cost differences are similar in other luxury lines between the two.

Here is my take on it, coming from the lower-upper-middle class of the car market. Actually, whatever $25k is...

I leased it for a few reasons, but mainly because this is not a typical car, and the refresh cycles and technological advances do not match to anything else in the market.
  1. I thought of this just like I do other tech purchases, and I feel that this EV market is very young. By that I mean that the advances in battery technology, sensors and EV as a whole will only accelerate in the coming years. I don't want to have this much skin in the game so soon. Competition will be a good thing.
  2. It did allow for a lower monthly. Now, before the flame wars commence, please know that I knowingly sacrificed some logic and number crunching here on the altar of getting a gosh-darn Tesla! I have no idea what a money factor is, and figured I don't want to know.
  3. With that in mind, it was easier to not check option boxes, as I was not building a car for the next 10 years.
So, Premium package and air suspension were definitely out for me. Hope this helps a little!

Reactions: SΞXY P100D
As much as I really like the Model S, I still find it too expensive and would rather save up towards the Model 3 purchase. Instead, I pulled the trigger on a CPO Ford Focus Electric which is perfect for my short range daily commute and quite a nice little car.

There are lots of cheaper options out there which make the expensive S unappealing to me at the moment, and knowing (that I'm not made of money, yet, and) that Tesla cars would only get better and more advanced in just a couple of years.

• Informative
Reactions: Whistle2Whine
Do it. You won't be sorry.

I decided to lease my model s p90d because I do believe something cooler will come out in the next 3 years and I expect depreciation will be pretty high. You have the option to buy at end of lease if you like, the buy price is set up front so there are no surprises. They offer a 90 day return, but of course you lose your down payment.

Check out the lease options. Run the numbers for yourself and you might find it suits you.

One last thing. Do it. It's a game changer. Especially the autopilot.

The only reason I had to go for Smart Air Suspension was because of my steep driveway. It's at about a 25 degree plus incline. Every once in a while, my Prius bumps on the front if I'm not careful enough. I assume the ground clearance on the Tesla is quite low too?

The only reason I had to go for Smart Air Suspension was because of my steep driveway. It's at about a 25 degree plus incline. Every once in a while, my Prius bumps on the front if I'm not careful enough. I assume the ground clearance on the Tesla is quite low too?
I had them come with a car for a garage test, and even with the high angle between street and ramp to garage above street level (this is SF), it worked out. I also added a bit of relief using a pretty low-tech and effective solution: What if one got this instead of air suspension?

Honestly, I wasn't impressed by AP. Autopilot, in my books, would mean full autonomy. If I have to constantly keep my hands on the wheel to override the AP, it defeats the purpose. I'm hoping AP 2.0 brings more fault tolerance but that might mean hardware upgrades.

I had them come with a car for a garage test, and even with the high angle between street and ramp to garage above street level (this is SF), it worked out. I also added a bit of relief using a pretty low-tech and effective solution: What if one got this instead of air suspension?

I might do the same. I plan to get a loaner for a day to try out anyway before placing an order. BTW, in my case, the bigger hump is on the curb-side. Don't think your low-tech solution (smart BTW) would work for me :D

Reactions: e-FTW
Yeah, go for it. I also fully agree with others in here regarding the "3 Threat." Two entirely different cars with price points galaxies away. Let's not forget that the large majority of Tesla buyers do not frequent this forum nor analyze so critically every aspect that is Tesla. Years down the line when it comes time to sell your S and the 3 is already on the road, there'll be the buyers that simply need a full-sized luxury sedan and everything it offers versus a mid-sized sedan.

Regarding AP 2.0, as far as I know and have read, it's still to be determined if it'll actually be hardware, or a software update to the existing 1.0, and if the former will be offered as a retrofit or not. I ordered, confirmed, and now she's in production. I didn't have the luxury of foresight lurking this fine forum for months to make a 1000% informed decision; I'm learning all these revelations long after Musk fueled his yacht up with my $2,500. But I'm not gonna sweat it. There's always going to be something right up ahead, that's just cars in general, albeit Tesla's lack of model year usage does make this a pain. And to those who say, well, these next years are going to be quite significant, I say screw it. They might be, they might not be. I might get hit by a bus tomorrow, too. Gimme my car already!

Regarding your lease vs. finance dilemma, take a gander at post #30 from this thread: Finally ordered my MS. I did some number crunching based on my scenario and it came out favoring financing with almost no downside.