Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should Model S have a solar panel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting how this discussion never seems to go away. After years of rehashing, it always ends up: It won't work.

Any of you that want solar on your car, hey, go get a small panel at an RV shop and tape it to your roof (like they do on the Red Green Show) and wire it up. You'll figure it out pretty quick.

The reason you won't find one built that way by Tesla is because it's DUMB and Tesla doesn't do dumb.

I agree. I think the only reason to do this currently is marketing and a coolness factor for those unaware of how little power it develops, particularly in a underground garage.
If we are talking possible future technology, I will take a fusion reactor before high efficiency flexible solar panels!

I agree. I think the only reason to do this currently is marketing and a coolness factor for those unaware of how little power it develops, particularly in a underground garage.
If we are talking possible future technology, I will take a fusion reactor before high efficiency flexible solar panels!

Sure, if you don't mind getting a new 12v battery installed every year or two.

Personally I'd rather there be a small unoticable section of the pano roof with solar built in or if you choose the body colored roof put a small section of cells in the least noticeable position on top of the car. Use it to feed the 12v battery and let the main pack feed the 12v any time the solar isn't doing it.

I don't have any illusion that it'll extend my usable range driving. I just want a more reliable car that I don't have to disassemble or take the effort to hook up a desulfating battery charger several times a year.

My care just turned 2 years on original 12v battery. How many have you been through??

Sure, if you don't mind getting a new 12v battery installed every year or two.

Personally I'd rather there be a small unoticable section of the pano roof with solar built in or if you choose the body colored roof put a small section of cells in the least noticeable position on top of the car. Use it to feed the 12v battery and let the main pack feed the 12v any time the solar isn't doing it.

I don't have any illusion that it'll extend my usable range driving. I just want a more reliable car that I don't have to disassemble or take the effort to hook up a desulfating battery charger several times a year.

I agree. I think the only reason to do this currently is marketing and a coolness factor for those unaware of how little power it develops...

You mean like a pano roof, which delivers zero power, and in fact can cost additional power from extra loads on the HVAC, and increased wind resistance when open? Many options are simply marketing and a coolness factor that provide no real tangible benefit.

I don't think the panel needs to be flexible, just molded in the proper shape. Tesla may even know of a solar panel manufacturing plant with close ties that could make them cheaply...

You mean like a pano roof, which delivers zero power, and in fact can cost additional power from extra loads on the HVAC, and increased wind resistance when open? Many options are simply marketing and a coolness factor that provide no real tangible benefit.

I don't think the panel needs to be flexible, just molded in the proper shape. Tesla may even know of a solar panel manufacturing plant with close ties that could make them cheaply...

But I so love looking up at the blue sky while driving. How dare you insult my precious and practical pano roof. In the summer the opening is so large that it's like having a light version of a convertible.

Also, if solar panels do get light, cheap and flexible enough to be on a car roof they're going to be mostly everywhere anyway and when that happens wireless charging in parking spots for trickle and maintain charges will make more sense.

Also, if solar panels do get light, cheap and flexible enough to be on a car roof they're going to be mostly everywhere anyway and when that happens wireless charging in parking spots for trickle and maintain charges will make more sense.

Again, it doesn't need to be flexible if it's built specifically for the car, they are already light enough, (probably lighter than your pano roof), they are already cheap enough, (probably cheaper than your pano roof), and they exist now, unlike the wireless charging trickle parking spots that will probably not be ubiquitous in our lifetimes. The vehicle mounted solar panel will always be right where you need it, on the car, killing the vampire when no other power is available. Plus it's a safety feature to prevent people from staring at the sky while driving :wink:

Elon has spoken, talking about the Model 3, but I'd imagine it would also come to the S and X:
Elon Musk on Twitter
Are you sure he's talking about the Model 3? I thought he was talking about how the Solar City/Tesla glass roof tiles can continue to function in snowy climates. I haven't seen anything that indicates the Model 3 will use roof tiles. They made a big deal about that huge pane of glass it has.

According to this article he was talking about the Model 3, but they may have misinterpreted his exact meaning:

The Model 3 will use some of the same glass technology that Tesla is using for its solar roof shingles, CEO Elon Musk said Tuesday during a conference call regarding the financial details of a SolarCity merger, which shareholders will vote on November 17

He added that the Model 3 will incorporate that same glass technology being used in the solar roof, but didn't elaborate further.
Elon Musk: Tesla is developing a special kind of glass for its Model 3

Reactions: Rocky_H
Yikes. Well, I'll just hope they learned their lesson with the Model X. I don't know they can meet their aggressive pricing and get to 500k vehicles within a year or whatever they're promising by designing experimental glass tile car roofs.
Yeah, I really don't like some of these possibilities: "Let's try out a solar glass roof and a new HUD on the Model 3, which is supposed to be easy to manufacture and ramp quickly." Straight up facepalm there.

Yikes. Well, I'll just hope they learned their lesson with the Model X. I don't know they can meet their aggressive pricing and get to 500k vehicles within a year or whatever they're promising by designing experimental glass tile car roofs.
I think he probably meant that the high strength glass panel that they developed for the solar roof can also be used for M3, especially since they can mass produce it cheaply as he said, and it can also take on curved shape like roof tiles. I don't think he meant that the glass will have solar cells in it, it just doesn't deliver much power, and would block the view through the glass, doesn't make sense. Putting heating element in the rear glass seems like a mature technology, nothing new. I really can't envision this as a FWD kind of engineering challenge.

I think he probably meant that the high strength glass panel that they developed for the solar roof can also be used for M3, especially since they can mass produce it cheaply as he said, and it can also take on curved shape like roof tiles.
Except don't they already have that in the pano roof of the S and the windshield of the X? Seems to me as if he's talking about something beyond that.