Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sick of waiting? Vent here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think for me waiting the expected period was hard enough. I was ready for my Model 3 on March 31, 2016. But I knew that the wait would be hard, but I could do it. As a line waiter in California, I figured worst case scenario would put me in my Model 3 by the end of 2017. These last few months are harsh on me. Everyone keeps asking and I am out of stories. Also, there is still SO much work still remaining with the GUI. I totally understand the manufacturing hell aspect especially with the volume being much higher than tesla has ever done.... But they have done software and GUIs before so I don't know what their problem with that is ... Even with being late the software team is still way behind .I am not broken yet but certainly bending!

Ask yourself this: Would you rather prefer a Model 3 now, with potentially lots of annoying issues and/or failures (drive unit fail, morse code beeping, fit and finish issues etc), and an unfinished software, OR wait a month or five and get a product where those issues belong to the past and you most likely get new and improved parts?

I’m sure this is a difficult choice for some, but rest assured: The longer u wait, the better a product you shall receive. At least thats been true with S and X, and still holds true

Reactions: insaneoctane
The wait for a Model 3 in Canada since reserving in 2016 was already unpleasant but this weekend, I added more fuel to that fire by taking the husband and kids to check out what I understand is the very first Model 3 to visit Vancouver Island (rented from the US and driven up).

I was one of those people who has read all the comments of "It looks so much better in person" and slightly rolled my eyes. Well, it does look better. And one of the fellows who'd driven it seemed to actually be vibrating with sheer joy when he chatted with us. The upcoming months (year-plus?) of waiting are certainly going to be that much tougher.

• Love
Reactions: weak_pig and Lem89
I'm venting
venting-anger-ineffective.jpg

Last edited:
I'm antsy, as well. Last April I purchased a used Fiat 500e to calm myself down a bit. The Fiat has been absolutely great around town, and I'm considering keeping it after we finally get the Model 3 so that we can use it for errands and short trips in town, keeping the miles down on the 3 and reducing the likelihood of door dings. Unfortunately, its limited range means we can't take it on road trips, which we are wont to do several times per year.

My husband and I have also gone through a phase of renting Teslas on Turo for these trips (four times so far, plus two more rentals when we flew to Washington to visit my parents). This has been a mixed bag... the trips have been great, but it makes me want the Model 3 that much more.

Now I'm agonizing about getting RWD vs AWD. Tax credit aside, I'm honestly not sure if my sanity will let me hold out for the AWD version. We're considering buying a Cadillac ELR this weekend so that my husband can use it as a commuter and so that we can turn in our Dieselgate Passat... perhaps its addition to the family will calm me down enough to wait for an AWD Model 3.

*pulling hair out*

I think the fundamental disagreement is that non-owners feel like they are demonstrating loyalty to Tesla by waiting in line at stores, or reserving online on Day 1. Further, they've been waiting for two years for their car. They find it hard to acknowledge that someone who didn't go through this loyalty ritual of waiting can cut in line simply because they become an owner.

The reality is that by buying a car, you are giving Tesla more lifeline to survive, build out more cars, and achieve their mission: to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport by bringing compelling mass market electric cars to market as soon as possible. While buying a car might not necessarily demonstrate that the buyer was as loyal as the "waiters," their purchase does have a much bigger financial impact on Tesla's chances of success. They are up against all sorts of forces that want them to fail, and there's still no guarantee at this point they will survive.

Some of us are dying for Model 3 ramp-up to increase so we can get our car faster. Some of us are dying for Model 3 to ramp up faster to ensure the biggest catalyst for technological advances in the automotive industry will survive to continue to do so.

You people are aware that Tesla has started delivering cars a year earlier than they originally announced during the Model 3 reveal, aren't you?

If you have been following Tesla for a long time, it feels "late". They had been talking about "Bluestar" way back in 2008...

This was posted by Tesla shortly before the "reveal":
Reserving your Model 3
...Model 3 production is scheduled to begin in late 2017. When production begins, we will begin deliveries in North America starting on the West Coast, moving east...

Those of us line waiters on the west coast had hoped to have our cars by now. My original delivery estimate said "Nov17-Jan18"

Putting down a deposit before even seeing what the car looks like, before knowing features, before knowing specs, feels like some kind of loyalty.
The talk of rewarding line-waiters doesn't seem to have materialized the way we had hoped.
I keep running into people new to Tesla who just bought/leased a Model S or X and got invited right away to configure a model 3. They are like "maybe I should get one of these for my spouse/kid/cousin..." and I am agonizing inside that they can randomly ponder getting one right away while I continue to wait...

Reactions: jsrawa and ggies07
I actually don't mind waiting right now. Let OTHER people's cars have the early model problems, plus I don't want to drive it in the road salt. Driving my '11 Challenger R/T is fun too, I'll miss it once I get my 3 and sell the R/T.

I still have to order my "model" and some battery number logos from ebay, and find a local sign place or 3D printer who can make me a factory looking "3" emblem. My 3 WILL have "Model 3" on the trunk lid! And probably a 55 for the battery, I think its true capacity is somewhere between 50 and 55, plus the anti bricking buffers.

Plus, I am getting my credit card paid down quite well, I hate to go and slam another $2500 on it for the deposit when I place my order, and start paying it down all over again. :eek:

Last edited: