Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Side detection collision avoidance, or my imagination?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if this has been discussed, but after searching this forum and googling and looking in manual, I couldn't find much information on it.

Ok, so something happened I had never seen yesterday and because I had passengers and had a lot on my mind on way to a hospital, I can't say with 100% certainty that what I'm about to describe happened exactly as written. But, it was interesting.

I consider myself a diligent lane changer, always check over my shoulders after looking in my mirrors and signaling, so the following situation rarely happens to me. I was on the freeway doing ~65 mph (Autopilot off) and wanted to change lanes one over to the left on a 5 lane freeway in San Diego. I signaled, looked in the mirror, and almost simultaneously as I checked my blind spot over my shoulder (don't ask why I didn't check the instrument cluster, dumb of me), began ever so slightly to initiate the lane change (really felt confident the lane was clear). Whoops! -Someone was there, and before they had a chance to honk or maybe even notice, I was correcting back into my lane manually. However, at nearly the same time (all happened quickly) I heard a tone I had never heard before (I think a triple chime) and I swear the steering wheel was correcting me even more aggressively back into my lane. I have seen the video of the model S on AP avoid the utility truck coming into its lane, but I wasn't on AP at the time.

My question is, does this sound legitimate or is any of this in my mind because I was somewhat distracted? If this is legit, can anyone point me to where this is written in the manual or release notes because I can't find it anywhere. Thanks!

I know I've read that before AP was enabled that the Tesla would make it hard for you to steer (as in stiff steering like if power steering is turned off) into something (this would include a vehicle or obstruction in your blind spot); however, you could override this by continuing to steer that direction. Not sure I've heard of it auto-correcting to prevent a wreck like in your case... would be curious if that's the case too. But glad the vehicle avoided allowing you to wreck (even if you hallucinated it).

Also the video you reference is also the same Tesla owner who tragically died recently while using auto-pilot.

Question. While in AP and a car is veering into your lane, how does the AP react? I don't yet have an S but was curious about this because on the test drive this happened and I did not notice any avoidance by the S. Now, it could be because I was quick to grab the wheel being this is all new to me.

Question. While in AP and a car is veering into your lane, how does the AP react? I don't yet have an S but was curious about this because on the test drive this happened and I did not notice any avoidance by the S. Now, it could be because I was quick to grab the wheel being this is all new to me.

If you notice it, best to react yourself. AP is not a replacement for human driving/reactions, which is what has caused many of the so called AP related crashes as owners have forgotten or not realized this. There are a couple of documented cases where the Tesla veered out of the lane/slowed to avoid a vehicle that didn't notice it and came into the Tesla's lane... including one caught on a dash cam (owner is the same that recently died in the AP fatality in May that is the first fatality while AP is engaged so far).

Had a somewhat similar experience over this past weekend. Someone was moving into my lane and the car started to nudge me over. AP was in use in my case. I was surprised that it steered me rather than braking, but whatever happened did so too fast for me to really record the details. And I intervened in any case, and all was well.

Apologies if this has been discussed, but after searching this forum and googling and looking in manual, I couldn't find much information on it.

Ok, so something happened I had never seen yesterday and because I had passengers and had a lot on my mind on way to a hospital, I can't say with 100% certainty that what I'm about to describe happened exactly as written. But, it was interesting.

I consider myself a diligent lane changer, always check over my shoulders after looking in my mirrors and signaling, so the following situation rarely happens to me. I was on the freeway doing ~65 mph (Autopilot off) and wanted to change lanes one over to the left on a 5 lane freeway in San Diego. I signaled, looked in the mirror, and almost simultaneously as I checked my blind spot over my shoulder (don't ask why I didn't check the instrument cluster, dumb of me), began ever so slightly to initiate the lane change (really felt confident the lane was clear). Whoops! -Someone was there, and before they had a chance to honk or maybe even notice, I was correcting back into my lane manually. However, at nearly the same time (all happened quickly) I heard a tone I had never heard before (I think a triple chime) and I swear the steering wheel was correcting me even more aggressively back into my lane. I have seen the video of the model S on AP avoid the utility truck coming into its lane, but I wasn't on AP at the time.

My question is, does this sound legitimate or is any of this in my mind because I was somewhat distracted? If this is legit, can anyone point me to where this is written in the manual or release notes because I can't find it anywhere. Thanks!
Yes, thats how is is supposed to operate. It's great to hear it actually works as advertised!

Yep, you experienced collision avoidance.

Side Collision Avoidance - disappointing?

Thanks Max, that was exactly the thread I was trying to search for, guess my search ability sucks on here. I read that whole thread, sounds like that is exactly what I experienced.

Personally, I thought it worked great, granted I was already correcting my mistake, but had I been a less capable driver then SCA would have saved the day. Just wish Tesla would have more documentation on this, maybe even a video displaying this feature in action on their website.

Thanks Max, that was exactly the thread I was trying to search for, guess my search ability sucks on here. I read that whole thread, sounds like that is exactly what I experienced.

Personally, I thought it worked great, granted I was already correcting my mistake, but had I been a less capable driver then SCA would have saved the day. Just wish Tesla would have more documentation on this, maybe even a video displaying this feature in action on their website.
In hindsight, maybe it wasn't that disappointing. I expected a more sudden jolt to get me out of perceived danger, but I guess if it works and can do it smoothly, even better.

That was the only time in over a year that I've experienced it.