Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Side View Mirrors Stopped Folding (Model X) - Software Issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up an inventory Model X 90D at the beginning of the month and it's been relatively problem free so far. But two days ago I noticed the mirrors stopped auto-folding when I locked the car. Finally today I looked into it and I realized I cannot even get the mirrors to fold when I press the dedicated button on the driver door.

I can still adjust the mirror angle, but the housing itself seems stuck in the open position. There are no noises coming from the mirror motors, it's like the car decided it can't allow the mirrors to be folded. I also tried rebooting the center screen, but no luck. Any ideas?

I just picked up my Model X 75D today and have the same problem. Even the dedicated fold button on driver side arm rest doesn't work.

However, I know the mirror fold works physically because if I do the Easter egg Christmas light show, the mirrors will fold and unfold during the show.

The loaner X I was driving for a week did not have this issue.

Just wanted to post an update on my experiences so far:

1. Tried reset center console (push and hold both scroll wheels) -- did not fix
2. Tried reset dash console (push and hold both buttons above scroll wheels) -- did not fix
3. Factory reset using the Settings UI -- did not fix
4. Called Tesla support and they told me to try #1 again -- did not fix

They have setup an appointment for me to bring the car into local service center.

I have almost the opposite problem, they always fold just fine for me, but when i do the christmas show, they don't fold...??

maybe a setting i'm missing.

lol this car is so quirky! Get this, I've done the Model Xmas a few dozen times since I got the car 5 Aug (people love it!). And the first few times I was disappointed the mirrors didn't wiggle like they do in the video. I even re-watched the Tesla video to see if I was remember it wrong. I chalked it up to Tesla having pushed out a slightly different Model Xmas than what they showed on-line since my mirrors folded just fine every-time I locked the car or used the button.

But the night before I noticed my mirrors stopped folding, I did Model Xmas and saw the mirrors wiggle for the first time. It's as if the mirror failure is somehow related to them starting to wiggle during Model Xmas. I will run Model Xmas again tonight and see if they fold. Crazy!

• Funny
Reactions: Peteybabes

2. Tried reset dash console (push and hold both buttons above scroll wheels) -- did not fix

They have setup an appointment for me to bring the car into local service center.

I am having the same issue from 2 days ago. I'll try the above to see if it fixes.

Update: The service center confirmed it was software related and uploaded the new 2017.32.17 722130c software for me to install at home in the hopes it would fix the folding mirrors. I've applied the software update and my mirrors appear to be working again. Hopefully the problem is permanently fixed.

I got same problem on my car that the side mirrors didn't fold. So i brought my car to service center last week and they said it was a software issue, and they fixed it by reinstall the software for me.(took them few days, so i got a loaner over weekend.) But after i did xmas on the loaner car, the side mirrors stopped folding too. So i guess it's a bug for new software with xmas.

Update: The service center confirmed it was software related and uploaded the new 2017.32.17 722130c software for me to install at home in the hopes it would fix the folding mirrors. I've applied the software update and my mirrors appear to be working again. Hopefully the problem is permanently fixed.
How do I get this software update? The same issue happened to me once the XMAS show was played? Do I have to go to the service center or can they push it to my car, if I contact them?

Appreciate the help.

I got same problem on my car that the side mirrors didn't fold. So i brought my car to service center last week and they said it was a software issue, and they fixed it by reinstall the software for me.(took them few days, so i got a loaner over weekend.) But after i did xmas on the loaner car, the side mirrors stopped folding too. So i guess it's a bug for new software with xmas.
Same problem here - after the Christmas show on build 17.26.17 there were no issues, but after the Christmas show on 17.34.2448cfc the side mirrors won't fold either when locking the car or when pressing the physical fold button on the armrest.

How do I get this software update? The same issue happened to me once the XMAS show was played? Do I have to go to the service center or can they push it to my car, if I contact them?

Appreciate the help.
It appears that any software update (either re-applying the same update or installing a new one) should fix the issue at least temporarily. The SC pushed 17.32.17.722130c to my car last week and it fixed the issue. However, once I did Model Xmas again, the issue returned. I don't think it'll be fixed until I install another s/w update. And even then, it'll only be permanently fixed if they address the Model Xmas issue that is breaking them.

Interesting to find this thread, as I have been having the same issue since yesterday - I used the Xmas Easter egg for the first time this weekend, and the folding mirrors stopped working afterwards. Hoping for a software fix soon, then!

It appears that any software update (either re-applying the same update or installing a new one) should fix the issue at least temporarily. The SC pushed 17.32.17.722130c to my car last week and it fixed the issue. However, once I did Model Xmas again, the issue returned. I don't think it'll be fixed until I install another s/w update. And even then, it'll only be permanently fixed if they address the Model Xmas issue that is breaking them.

The Xmas show stopped my mirrors too. Both the button and locking the doors don't fold the mirrors.

They've changed (fixed?) the folding mirror code in 17.34. This is probably causing issues with the xmas script, which in turn is causing issues with the folding mirrors.

The mirrors used to be able to fold at any time with no restriction. This has changed. Now you can only fold them below 10MPH, and if they are folded when you start moving, they automatically unfold at 10MPH. Also, the mirrors used to unfold when you opened the door. Now they unfold when you unlock the car.