Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta for legacy Model S/X with MCU1 (2022.8.10.8)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope it goes quick for me. My car is still in the shop. But cameras got done Saturday. The tech thinks I likely need halfshafts and I have a ongoing coolant issue so that’s stuff is getting sorted out as well. A little longer wait but better to make sure my car and suspension is good as can be before beta.

Rumor from most recent MCU1 owners to advance to .10 said it didn’t indicate anything in the app. The had to go in the car to see the update.

Just a heads up.
image.jpg

So the alternative is small claims court?

It looks like the car thinks it's configured to be "Enhanced Autopilot" instead of "Full Self-Driving Capability." Does the app > Upgrades > Software Upgrades show a purchase/subscription option for that? Alternatively, what shows up under app > Upgrades > Manage > Active for this vehicle?

Here's what it looks like for someone with MCU1 and FSD Capability receiving 2022.8.10.10:
67a50822-9815-4aea-bccb-4b9088bc4ae4-jpeg.890784
Seems to be a glitch with the equipped Autopilot package showing the wrong feature set. I bought mine from Tesla inventory with the FSD feature included/active back in December 2020, and got Beta in June 2022. Through reboots, upgrades, MCU1 to MCU2, etc. my screen still says "Enhanced Autopilot" even though I've had Beta for 8 months now.

Attachments

• PXL_20230201_224628879.jpg
    PXL_20230201_224628879.jpg
    511.1 KB · Views: 73
Through reboots, upgrades, MCU1 to MCU2, etc. my screen still says "Enhanced Autopilot" even though I've had Beta for 8 months now
Interesting. Clearly something isn't quite right as my16p100d was able to push the FSD Beta request button as well as get service for the camera retrofit, but maybe some condition for sending FSD Beta vehicle software changed in the mean time potentially as part of wide release no longer checking for Safety Score or opt-in. E.g., FSD Beta request button visibility within the vehicle checked "FSD Capability method 1" and Tesla server side pushed updates to eligible requesters vs. now with FSD Beta wide release, Tesla server side pushes updates checking for "FSD Capability method 2" that happens to be reflected via "Enhanced Autopilot."

I would suggest reaching out to Tesla Service highlighting that the Software screen is displaying "Enhanced Autopilot" instead of "Full Self Driving Capability" and maybe even ask if that's why FSD Beta / 2022.8.10.10 isn't available for the vehicle. Although I suppose there's the risk of too much information resulting in Tesla Service giving a generic "you'll get updates when they become available for your vehicle."

Reactions: dbldwn02
It looks like the car thinks it's configured to be "Enhanced Autopilot" instead of "Full Self-Driving Capability." Does the app > Upgrades > Software Upgrades show a purchase/subscription option for that? Alternatively, what shows up under app > Upgrades > Manage > Active for this vehicle?

Here's what it looks like for someone with MCU1 and FSD Capability receiving 2022.8.10.10:
67a50822-9815-4aea-bccb-4b9088bc4ae4-jpeg.890784
I guess I will try a support ticket:

Attachments

• 49C7216A-4685-49E0-82AB-B52C3A0C6E8B.jpeg
    49C7216A-4685-49E0-82AB-B52C3A0C6E8B.jpeg
    135 KB · Views: 75
Interesting. Clearly something isn't quite right as my16p100d was able to push the FSD Beta request button as well as get service for the camera retrofit, but maybe some condition for sending FSD Beta vehicle software changed in the mean time potentially as part of wide release no longer checking for Safety Score or opt-in. E.g., FSD Beta request button visibility within the vehicle checked "FSD Capability method 1" and Tesla server side pushed updates to eligible requesters vs. now with FSD Beta wide release, Tesla server side pushes updates checking for "FSD Capability method 2" that happens to be reflected via "Enhanced Autopilot."

I would suggest reaching out to Tesla Service highlighting that the Software screen is displaying "Enhanced Autopilot" instead of "Full Self Driving Capability" and maybe even ask if that's why FSD Beta / 2022.8.10.10 isn't available for the vehicle. Although I suppose there's the risk of too much information resulting in Tesla Service giving a generic "you'll get updates when they become available for your vehicle."
I actually did try having Service address the "Enhanced Autopilot" package mislabel, and they basically said "engineering will look into it, your car is OK to drive though." This was before I even had Beta though (may have even been prior to the request button appearing). For what it's worth, Service told me that their system shows that my car had FSD already equipped. So it really seems like a localized issue. I thought about factory resetting the car to see if that would fix the issue, but it doesn't bother me enough and I use FSD Beta without issue. Also, i don't want to deal with re-configuring everything lol

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Support called me and went through the requirements checklist with me. My recollection is that the latest Tesla app must be installed on your phone (don’t know why) - check
FSD be purchased or subscribed to - check
New cameras - check
Software version higher than 2021something - check
FSD Queue button pressed - check

So they confirmed I have all prerequisites but don’t know why I haven’t received the update. They said they would “send over new software in a different format” OTA and that if nothing changes in a week I might need to come in in person. They also said there is a waiting period but they don’t know what it is and what it depends on (geographical location etc)

They also recommended I completely uninstall the app and reinstall it.

Btw, I still have a safety score. It’s… 82, but that shouldn’t matter, should it?

No resolution yet but at least they took the time to call, look into it, and were nice about it.

The geographical thing makes me wanna park my car in LA for a few days and see if that does anything (I live in rural California)

TessieRed, what’s your status?

Support called me and went through the requirements checklist with me. My recollection is that the latest Tesla app must be installed on your phone (don’t know why) - check
New cameras - check

So they confirmed I have all prerequisites but don’t know why I haven’t received the update. They said they would “send over new software in a different format” OTA and that if nothing changes in a week I might need to come in in person. They also said there is a waiting period but they don’t know what it is and what it depends on (geographical location etc)

Btw, I still have a safety score. It’s… 82, but that shouldn’t matter, should it?

No resolution yet but at least they took the time to call, look into it, and were nice about it.

The geographical thing makes me wanna park my car in LA for a few days and see if that does anything (I live in rural California)

My status is definitely not good. I tried to talk to my Tesla about the update and they are really just blowing me off honestly.

As of yesterday the “FSD Beta for MCU1 owners is for early access and employees only. I argued that is incorrect and beta has been on wide release for some time. Only thing preventing MCU users with cams is the software not being pushed.

I am very frustrated at this point. Tesla is just to brush me off like I’m some kind of dumbass that doesn’t realize their is no apparent rhyme or reasons as to why we haven’t received the update.

Now if the reason was in regard to not all MCU1 vehicle configurations not being ready for the update I could accept that.

I’m also in CA.

Attachments

• A47A8491-6CCF-42BB-90B6-20975A7EA1CF.png
    A47A8491-6CCF-42BB-90B6-20975A7EA1CF.png
    280.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 494CC99D-E993-4CD6-BF6F-E1AF8F0F411C.png
    494CC99D-E993-4CD6-BF6F-E1AF8F0F411C.png
    282.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 85AFDE8C-137B-4283-98C0-A2D50335DC47.png
    85AFDE8C-137B-4283-98C0-A2D50335DC47.png
    289 KB · Views: 57
  • F960AEF5-FDE0-45EA-830B-242BC58A6B78.png
    F960AEF5-FDE0-45EA-830B-242BC58A6B78.png
    303.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Informative
Reactions: byeLT4 and dbldwn02
That is frustrating, but I suspect he's telling the truth regarding Service's inability to request the FSD Beta software for your car. Seeing how little MCU1 cars actually received 2022.8.10.10 (currently 11 on TeslaFi), it really does seem like MCU1/Tegra FSD Beta is in some sort of weird test phase or staggered rollout. I agree that the Wide Release status is misleading with MCU1 being largely left out, but we are preaching to the choir :(

That is frustrating, but I suspect he's telling the truth regarding Service's inability to request the FSD Beta software for your car. Seeing how little MCU1 cars actually received 2022.8.10.10 (currently 11 on TeslaFi), it really does seem like MCU1/Tegra FSD Beta is in some sort of weird test phase or staggered rollout. I agree that the Wide Release status is misleading with MCU1 being largely left out, but we are preaching to the choir :(
I know.. BUT I called in to Tesla support today to see what response I got since it’s easier to brush someone off via text.

I called in and was informed that via over the air diagnostics they could see one of my newly installed cameras in not working properly. I have had no issues except, the right repeater thinking large semi trucks are one lane closer than they actually are when attempting to change Lanes and subsequently aborting the lane change.

They said this malfunction is stopping me from receiving the update. No mention at all about the update being for Early Access or Employees only.

My service appointment is set for tomorrow and they said it will be addressed then.

I will push the Tesla Tech for an OTA update following the malfunctioning camera replacement. I will even let him calibrate the cameras and drive if he is willing to in order to see if the update is truly available after this camera fix.

Reactions: fcastrillo86
New cameras - check

See my status update reply below. Tesla Mobile Tech is coming tomorrow and him and I will figure this out once and for all.

Looks like there's a 2022.8.10.11 going out that probably doesn't include FSD Beta as it's available globally. So at least past experience of people updating "ahead" of FSD Beta would result in delays until there's a newer version. E.g., those on 2022.8.10.8 upgrading to 2022.8.10.11 then getting RCCB cameras installed correctly might not then be able to "downgrade" to 2022.8.10.10 with FSD Beta.