Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Since Tesla Wall Connectors are out of stock...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is my other best option? I had an electrician look in my garage and all the electrical is right there, he said its a simple install. His idea was to mount a Nema 1450 wall connector and he said I can use an adapter with that. If and when I can get my hands on the Tesla Wall Charger, would that just plug into the Nema 1450 wall connector that will be installed?

You are jumbling up a lot of terms that don't make sense with each other.
His idea was to mount a Nema 1450 wall connector
Tesla doesn't make a 14-50 wall connector anymore.
and he said I can use an adapter with that.
If it's a wall connector, it doesn't need an adapter.
If and when I can get my hands on the Tesla Wall Charger,
It's a wall connector.
would that just plug into the Nema 1450 wall connector
How would you plug a wall connector into another wall connector?

I think maybe you are talking about getting a 14-50 outlet installed? There is a mobile charge cable that comes with the car. It only comes with the adapter for regular wall outlets, that is called a 5-15. If you want to buy an adapter for a 14-50 outlet or a 6-50 outlet or some other type, those are $35 each from the Tesla site. If you want to get some familiarity with what the different outlet types are, Wikipedia has a good page on that.
NEMA connector - Wikipedia

And by the way, you don't need to buy any kind of wall mounted unit at all if you don't want to. I've been using my original mobile charge cable hanging on my garage wall as my permanent charging at home for over 6 and a half years. It is plugged into a 14-50 outlet.

I'm using a 14-50 outlet, and a Tesla wall connector, hooked up via a 'pigtail' to it - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002RL9JAW

So if you have that outlet installed, and buy the mobile connecter 14-50 adapter, you can use that to charge while waiting for the wall connector to arrive.

Note that when doing this you will be limited to 40A charging with the wall connector (80% of 50A), direct connection would allow a 60A circuit allowing 48A charging.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pilot1226
I really hate this of so many people adding pigtail cords to their wall connectors. It's meant to be a hardwired device; install it as a hardwired device!
Then why did Tesla sell a version with a 14-50 cord connected to it for a while :)

This was the easiest for using an existing 14-50 outlet, would have hardwired it if that wasn't already there (and in a slightly inconvenient place so did not want to mount the WC there).

Rocky is the resident SME on this but here's my understanding for the 3 products offered by Tesla - one is standard equipment with the car and the other two are purchases:

Car comes with plug-in Gen 2 mobile connector bundle with 5-15 removable plug for use with standard 120v electric. Can purchase a 15-40 removable plug for $35 so you can use the connector with 220v circuit…or optional purchases:

· Hard wired wall connector ($500) will max charge at 48 amps with 60 amp circuit breaker; or,

· Plug-in corded mobile connector ($520) with permanent 14-50 plug will max charge at 40 amps with 50 amp circuit breaker

What is my other best option? I had an electrician look in my garage and all the electrical is right there, he said its a simple install. His idea was to mount a Nema 1450 wall connector and he said I can use an adapter with that. If and when I can get my hands on the Tesla Wall Charger, would that just plug into the Nema 1450 wall connector that will be installed?

You are in a situation that is confusing because there are a lot of different options, all of which will work just fine. Your electrician's idea will work, and it obviously he knows Tesla equipment well.

Since in the meantime you will be using this $35 adapter (Gen 2 NEMA Adapters) there is no reason that you need the wall connector. You can install the 14-50 and forget about the wall connector completely.

I had a NEMA 14-60 receptacle installed. You can plug the mobile connector into It with an adapter and you can put a 60 amp plug on the wall connector and get the max 48 amp out of the wall connector.

I had a NEMA 14-60 receptacle installed. You can plug the mobile connector into It with an adapter and you can put a 60 amp plug on the wall connector and get the max 48 amp out of the wall connector.
There is no 14-60, it's a 14-50 and the "50" indicates a 50amp circuit breaker so with a plug-in you'll get 40 amps. You can get 48 amps with a permanently installed wall connector and a 60amp circuit breaker.

Last edited:
There is no 14-60, it's a 14-50 and the "50" indicates a 50amp circuit breaker so with a plug-in you'll get 40 amps. You can get 48 amps with a permanently installed wall connector and a 60amp circuit breaker.
You might want to come check out my fictitious NEMA 14-60 receptacle in my garage. I get the 48 amp charging rate with a 60 amp plug on the wall connector.

Attachments

• 6F3BDD4B-38A8-4931-9061-8E0FFF1A1D6F.jpeg
    6F3BDD4B-38A8-4931-9061-8E0FFF1A1D6F.jpeg
    25.3 KB · Views: 94
  • Informative
Reactions: ArtK and Wyomingtim
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: rvnc
Thanks for all the great help. It sounds like I need to have a NEMA 14-60 receptacle installed, then I will plug into that using the adapter.
The good thing is if you want to hardwire the wall connector you can just remove the 14-60R and hardwire it since the 60 amp circuit is already there. If you put in a 14-50R you can’t because it’s just a 50 amp circuit.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
The good thing is if you want to hardwire the wall connector you can just remove the 14-60R and hardwire it since the 60 amp circuit is already there. If you put in a 14-50R you can’t because it’s just a 50 amp circuit.
Hi
I am about to get my electrician to install a 50 amp circuit for a Nema 14-50 receptacle. So what you are saying is instead install a 60 amp circuit and install a 14-60 receptacle? Then use the pigtail shown above to connect the tesla provided home charger to the 14-60 receptacle?

Is this correct per code and wont cause any problems?

Just a nubie question, what is 14-60 connection normally used for?

Hi
I am about to get my electrician to install a 50 amp circuit for a Nema 14-50 receptacle. So what you are saying is instead install a 60 amp circuit and install a 14-60 receptacle? Then use the pigtail shown above to connect the tesla provided home charger to the 14-60 receptacle?

Is this correct per code and wont cause any problems?

Just a nubie question, what is 14-60 connection normally used for?
Yes, run everything by your electrician. If you ask to install the 14-60R this should be standard, but just make sure they install a 3 conductor + ground circuit/cable. The wall connector doesn’t use the neutral and neither does the mobile connector, but if you want to plug something else into that receptacle it may want a neutral. If you hardwire the wall connector the electrician may save money by running a 2 conductor + ground circuit since the wall connector doesn’t need a neutral. One day if you switch chargers it may require a neutral.