Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SiriusXM radio on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
if you've done this drive, I'm not sure at all why you're asking "where do you go without cell service?" unless things have changed in the past three years, that entire drive from rapid city to Cheyenne is a complete dead zone. no service for hundreds of miles...at least it was when we did it in the summer of 2018.
On my 50 state tour last year, part of it was from West Yellowstone, MT across Wyoming (via Greybull) to Sheridan, continuing to Spearfish, SD. Then north to go across North Dakota to Minneapolis then south zig zagging between the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers before heading back north and east to go to New England. Anyway, saw no dead zones anywhere across the country around Interstate Hwys. Really had to stretch to lose a signal as I did on that Montana to Coeur d'Alene road around 20 miles parallel and north of Interstate 90. Very scenic, no signals, but I at least expect some signage to verify I hadn't made a wrong turn as my battery slowly drained. I did make it.

i can't speak for anyone else, but IMO the real value in SXM is the live talk/news/sports content that you can't get from slacker or spotify. all of that stuff alone is worth the $100/yr rate you can easily get by calling in on your renewal date - the music is just a bonus.
Absolutely. I also find the human-curated playlists are much more aligned with my tastes than the algorithmic mismosh that Spotify gives me.

Radio programming is still an art form.

Given what you’ve said, I recommend you not tackle streaming SXM through the phone over BT. The only way to change channels is on the phone; you have to start the app on your phone; etc. (Yes there are ways to partially ameliorate these and other issues, but it’s still not seamless by a long shot.)

I would start with the Tesla-supplied streaming service; there are times when I don’t want to break out my phone and I just bring up Tesla’s classic rock channel. The biggest issue is the streaming is not very reliable; you can find lots of threads about constant rebuffering using the Tesla streaming, going back years, with no fixes in sight. I don’t know if the other paid options like Spotify and Tidal have this issue or not.

Sometime last fall, I was trying to decide how I wanted to add SXM to my M3. Someone posted about how they purchased the Amazon Echo Auto, and in tandem with their iPhone, can change SXM channels through simple voice commands. (Alexa)

I decided to do the same, and I've gotta say it's been simple. I keep the unit in the little caddy under the arm rest, and it plugs in right there as well. When I've got the audio set to Bluetooth, I have full voice commands over anything to play through my phone, including SXM channels. ("Alexa, play Classic Vinyl on Sirius XM")

The unit only costs around $40, and IMO is a no-brainer.

Reactions: smartypnz
Sometime last fall, I was trying to decide how I wanted to add SXM to my M3. Someone posted about how they purchased the Amazon Echo Auto, and in tandem with their iPhone, can change SXM channels through simple voice commands. (Alexa)

I decided to do the same, and I've gotta say it's been simple. I keep the unit in the little caddy under the arm rest, and it plugs in right there as well. When I've got the audio set to Bluetooth, I have full voice commands over anything to play through my phone, including SXM channels. ("Alexa, play Classic Vinyl on Sirius XM")

For me, this falls under my comment about “ways to partially ameliorate”; I personally dislike voice commands for most automotive functions, and do not want to add a third party box to the car to accomplish the functionality anyway. I’m sure there are other people like you who have no significant reservations about this way of integrating SXM into the car, but I’m equally sure there are significant numbers of folks who share my opinions too. Either way, the Tesla customer would be better served by Tesla focusing on value-added UI, infotainment, etc., improvements instead of more elaborate Easter eggs. IMHO.

(and I’ll add that I knew all of this going in and decided it was a trade off I was willing to make, and I don’t regret that decision, but that doesn’t stop me from some amount of missing what I used to have :confused:)

For me, this falls under my comment about “ways to partially ameliorate”; I personally dislike voice commands for most automotive functions, and do not want to add a third party box to the car to accomplish the functionality anyway. I’m sure there are other people like you who have no significant reservations about this way of integrating SXM into the car, but I’m equally sure there are significant numbers of folks who share my opinions too. Either way, the Tesla customer would be better served by Tesla focusing on value-added UI, infotainment, etc., improvements instead of more elaborate Easter eggs. IMHO.

(and I’ll add that I knew all of this going in and decided it was a trade off I was willing to make, and I don’t regret that decision, but that doesn’t stop me from some amount of missing what I used to have :confused:)
I agree totally. A lot of this is relevant to personal expectations and what type of vehicle you are currently in. I've really enjoyed features like HUD, CarPlay, satellite radio and I've been struggling for months now deciding if I can handle such a bare bones vehicle that takes me back 15 years in regards to cell phone connectivity and music playing options. Even simple ipod music functionality from plugging in your phone would be better than bluetooth quality music or having to invest time into managing a USB music library.

Reactions: mycroftxxx
I agree totally. A lot of this is relevant to personal expectations and what type of vehicle you are currently in. I've really enjoyed features like HUD, CarPlay, satellite radio and I've been struggling for months now deciding if I can handle such a bare bones vehicle that takes me back 15 years in regards to cell phone connectivity and music playing options. Even simple ipod music functionality from plugging in your phone would be better than bluetooth quality music or having to invest time into managing a USB music library.

Coming out of several cars that had all 3 of the above ... the only one I really miss is satellite radio.

The HUD (which, previously, I really liked) I'm finding not just unnecessary - but distracting - now on Model 3. I've got an appreciation for the clean, clear, wide open view ahead of the steering wheel.

CarPlay was always a hack to me. The limitations and restrictions on list length and the clunkiness switching between apps etc -- Tesla's system is *much* better for me.

Satellite radio I do miss. I've installed my own satellite receiver in Model 3, but honestly - think I'm going to go back to the Echo Auto + cell phone method. It's simpler - I don't love voice commands either but this one I think I can handle.

Anyway -- my point is to give them a try. I found the things I thought were important, turned out to not really be missed.

Now, blind spot indicators in the side view mirrors? Those, I could use right quick and in a hurry!

I picked one of these up when it was on sale for $25 and I have to say it was well worth it! The only issue I have is that I don't often remember the channel name or number! (But I can always find Channel 20!)

Will be ordering a long range model 3 soon. Just curious why Tesla could not just put the Sirius/XM streaming app on the screen. I listen at home on the amazon echo streaming as I have the total Sirius/XM package on my car.
I swear I read last year that there was talks of Tesla possibly providing an Sirius/XM app but I don't know if anything ever came from it. I don't see why they wouldn't as why wouldn't you want to offer apps that make your vehicles more attractive especially given that EV alternatives are now starting to sprout from other automakers.

I see no reason why they can't offer Sirius/XM as an option

They could off all sorts of things as an option.

But each app requires development time from someone at Tesla- and someone to document it- and someone to support it- and someone to update it as needed.

Tesla has hinted they will eventually offer some version of an app store that permits 3rd party developers to do most of this work- but not until the fleet is large enough for it to be worthwhile--- in the meantime Tesla has to decide how they want to spend their own internal resources.

Right now you can stream SXM on your phone over BT. The choice Tesla made most recently to add a native service was Tidal, since it provides an option for actual quality improvement option over using your phone than an SXM app would not.

They could off all sorts of things as an option.

But each app requires development time from someone at Tesla- and someone to document it- and someone to support it- and someone to update it as needed.

Tesla has hinted they will eventually offer some version of an app store that permits 3rd party developers to do most of this work- but not until the fleet is large enough for it to be worthwhile--- in the meantime Tesla has to decide how they want to spend their own internal resources.

Right now you can stream SXM on your phone over BT. The choice Tesla made most recently to add a native service was Tidal, since it provides an option for actual quality improvement option over using your phone than an SXM app would not.
So fart apps and 'boombox' are more important than music apps. Got it. Seems backwards, though.