Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Size of USB drive needed for TeslaCam?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or just have a very simple setting that says automatically delete the oldest files. That way there is a running stream of several weeks of footage. This is how most DVR systems work.

Except depending on key size, how long you leave it parked, and how busy the area its parked in are, you can entirely fill the key before you have the chance to review its contents at all- so auto-deleting what might be evidence of damage to your car before you can look at it is a bad plan.

Except depending on key size, how long you leave it parked, and how busy the area its parked in are, you can entirely fill the key before you have the chance to review its contents at all- so auto-deleting what might be evidence of damage to your car before you can look at it is a bad plan.

So you’d prefer it to stop recording than overwrite the oldest file. That’s the beauty of having an option.

So you’d prefer it to stop recording than overwrite the oldest file. That’s the beauty of having an option.

Exactly, it's just as bad if the flash drive runs out of free space and just stops recording. You could miss an important event if that happens. I'd rather have the oldest recordings overwritten instead of just stopping recording entirely because there's no more free space on the drive. I'd be very happy if Tesla added a toggle to enable overwriting the oldest recordings on the drive.

The flash drives fail because of the high data rate video being recorder to them continuously independent of any Sentry files. The solution is bigger, more tolerant drives.

This simply is not true.

The data rate here isn't even remotely "high"

It's about 1.5 MB/sec... which is 2-3 times slower than the slowest USB 2.0 drives out there can write sequentially, let alone the much higher speeds decent or good ones are capable of.

Again this is a software problem not a hardware problem

See also folks getting these BS errors and/or 0 byte or corrupted files even with high end storage including SSDs.

Can you recommend me an exact drive that works for you?

This one from Amazon (not too expensive) works beautifully for me: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078SWJ3CF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is small, portable, light-weight and easy to keep in the little compartment with the USB connectors.

I have two partitions on it, about 200GB for the dashcam (first partition) and the rest as a music partition. Both formatted with third-party (free) as FAT32.

I am new to Sentry. Please clarify.
I take this 128 Gb flash drive and make a folder called TeslaCam?
When it is full (which it will not inform me?), I save files I deem relevant and delete the others?
How much electricity is used when I keep Sentry on when it is parked?

Reactions: PrGrPa
I am new to Sentry. Please clarify.
I take this 128 Gb flash drive and make a folder called TeslaCam?
When it is full (which it will not inform me?), I save files I deem relevant and delete the others?
How much electricity is used when I keep Sentry on when it is parked?

Yes, the drive needs to be formatted in FAT32 (and now ext4 works too apparently, but that's mostly for Linux users). Tesla recently added a warning to let you know when the drive is full. I think there may also be a warning now when it's low on space but I can't remember for certain. As @Saghost mentioned most report seeing a loss of about 1 mile of range per hour that Sentry Mode is activated, but if your car encounters/records a lot of events it could drain a little more than that. The high end would probably closer to 2 miles of range per hour which isn't that bad at all.

Reactions: Chirojan
I recommend using a single-level cell (SLC) flash memory as it was designed specifically for data-logging applications (lookup large tables, video surveillance, high performance IOPS SSD)

Most of what you see out there for usb memory sticks is based on multi-level cell (MLC) architecture which is a lower cost that comes with lower useful life and decreased reliability.

Happy to bore you with more technical details but no need.

SLC flash is what you see today marketed as high-endurance so for our purpose of recording dash cam videos I recommend pricier high endurance flash memory media types. For myself, I went with sandisk microSD 256gb @$56 vs $30 usb or sd card with MLC flash.

All these flashdrive errors are likely attributed to them getting corrupt and failing from the excessive dashcam read\write cycles. It's not a speed issue, it's a cycle issue.

Highly recommend an endurance type card.
SanDisk 256gb Endurance
Samsung 128gb Endurance

As for the ease of viewing. I have an Android personally and use the TeslaCam Reviewer app. With this 4 in 1 SD Card Reader Adapter I can review any clips quick and easy. The app shows you all 3 cameras at once and ability to play at high speed.