Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Size of USB drive needed for TeslaCam?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know I need to have a folder titled "teslacam" for the dash cam but to use the same drive for music do I need to have a music folder? Or just drag and drop the mp3s right into the drive directly? Thanks!
If you want to use the same drive for both Teslacam and music, you'll need to partition the drive. One partition for Teslacam and one for music. By the way, the folder name for the dashcam is "Teslacam" with a a capital "T".

• Helpful
Reactions: PrGrPa
Microsoft confused sooo many people with that, including your service person apparently.

When they developed NTFS, they wanted to migrate everyone to their fancy new file system. To do that, they created an arbitrary limit in Windows; a Windows computer will not format a FAT32 drive larger than 32 GB.

There's nothing whatsoever wrong with larger FAT32 drives, and Windows will happily read and write to them if a third party application or non Windows computer creates them.

I've been using a 240 GB partition for two months with no problems, and I can't see any reason your 500 GB would cause an issue.

I think your technician got confused by the Windows limit - he knows it has to be FAT32 to work correctly, but doesn't know the 32 GB limit is Windows trying to push their proprietary file system rather than a limit of FAT32.

I use a 125GB USB drive that I had no problems formatting FAT32 on my Windows10 PC.

My screen has been still been turning blk or would freeze so yesterday tesla informed me that I need to install a smaller HD.

They also reboot my car down and had me update it yesterday to fix this error.

I've kept all issues record on my phone since day one which has been over #25

the bigger the better. I have a 256 gb sandisk ultrafit and a 128 gb on standby. Seems no matter what eventually the drive fills up and needs to be reformatted. One of these days they'll build that feature directly into the car - "your usb drive is full, ok to reformat?" or USB drive corrupt, press OK to repair.

You shouldn't need to reformat it- just delete the files you don't need.

Since the car can't know which Sentry or other saved video is important it can't just randomly delete that stuff automatically.