Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker Any Song only worked in the beginning [Confirmed - pending resolution]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Totally happened to me the other day, as well. I had to backtrack and say, uh well most of the time it works, lets try a different song. followed by: ok well lets just pick a category.
I think my guest was still suitably impressed and is strongly leaning toward getting her own MS, but I was wondering why it wouldn't go straight to a song anymore.

I guess I understand if its a licensing thing, but what a tease...

I caved and got the premium subscription today. It still works slightly differently than the way it did with the version that came with the car originally. All these little fees are gonna kill me. Can't wait to see how much they'll charge for 3G :crying:

Mine stopped playing the actual requested song over the weekend. This is very annoying, particularly after Elon touted it on CNBC. My kids loved it and it was great for demoing the car.

Just called OE but landed in voicemail...

Update: called OE again and complained to the guy, then a few hours later got a call back from my voicemail and complained to him as well. Both were aware of something but didn't seem to be taking it very seriously - a Slacker issue. I made it very clear that it a) was promoted by Elon on CNBC, and b) it is a bad ownership experience and takes away from the "wow" factor when demoing the car.

Update: called OE again and complained to the guy, then a few hours later got a call back from my voicemail and complained to him as well. Both were aware of something but didn't seem to be taking it very seriously - a Slacker issue. I made it very clear that it a) was promoted by Elon on CNBC, and b) it is a bad ownership experience and takes away from the "wow" factor when demoing the car.

Good for you PeterK. We should all take 2 minutes and call the OE # to report this problem. (877) 798-3752 x4.

Confirmed: Slacker Problem with Song On Demand for Model S Owners

Just heard back from the Tesla Ownership rep. regarding the issue I raised about the loss of the Song on Demand feature for Slacker. Tesla had escalated to Slacker and got confirmation that an error occurred on Slacker's servers affecting Model S Owners with Slacker Radio Plus subscriptions (basically everyone with a Model S that hasn't had their Slacker trial expire). Slacker committed to issue a fix by late this week and that the Song on Demand feature should be back in operation by next week. There was some vagueness on Slacker's part as to whether it will be operational by beginning of next week or whether it would be by Wednesday 5/8.

Anyhow, kudos for those like minded folks on the forums who brought this to the attention of Tesla and Slacker.

Hopefully we can report that it is back up and running next week.

(repost)

Tesla just called me back and said they were in contact with Slacker and Slacker says they are working on fix to restore the previous on-demand behavior.

Still going to keep my Premium account though. It's working well and I already have a very nice playlist put together.

Ken

Good to hear - perhaps this can be merged with the original thread.

EDIT: Another response from Tesla:
We have confirmed with Slacker that there was an issue with their system that gave rise to the song selection problem that you were experiencing. They are working on a fix and estimate that they will have it out on Friday. Please try it out again then and let us know if it’s working better for you.

Last edited:
anyone else think this has something to do with Musk's tweet scheduled for today?

That's a good theory, especially since it was mentioned this was supposed to be "fixed" today. The "problem" could stem from the level of service (from slacker) we owners have. So perhaps upping the ante means giving everyone full premium access to slacker and keeping it live for another X months.

Can anyone confirm whether this has truly been resolved or whether a date has been identified when they think it will be resolved? Did we put the [Resolved] tag up too early?

No, not been resolved yet. Just tried 3 songs that I knew for a fact was available instantly before, but weren't available after the bug:
* Metallica - Enter Sandman
* Madonna - Die Another Day
* Aerosmith - Pink

All of them still got pulled up, but 30 songs or so down the line. So it's not like they were removed either. They just don't show up first, so I'd call that a repro of the bug.