Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker Any Song only worked in the beginning [Confirmed - pending resolution]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried several song demands this morning, and every single one worked as they did when I took delivery of my car.

It seems Slacker fixed the issue on their end.

:cool:

It worked yesterday for me, but not today. I wonder if its requesting the same song over and over? My son always wants Gentleman by Psy (which voice control hears as "Gentleman by Side"), and it worked yesterday, but not today the three times he asked for it. Clearly the issue hasn't been fully resolved. Slacker obviously doesn't have a lot of 5 year olds on staff!

I tried several song demands this morning, and every single one worked as they did when I took delivery of my car.

It seems Slacker fixed the issue on their end.

:cool:

I observed the same... HOWEVER...

if Slacker had a problem with your specific songs before, it will still have them, and it's due to licensing. For example, try to bring up "Thrift Shop" by Macklemore. It'll take about 15-25 songs typically before it starts. When you use the Slacker app on the phone, you'll get an error message on that station, referring to a license limitation.

I'm becoming more convinced that this is related to how many times you ask for a song. Any time I ask for a "new" song (i.e., one I haven't asked for before) it pulls it right up. But, when it's one of my kids' songs (i.e., they've asked for it multiple times in the past) it doesn't bring the song right up. It's like it goes to my History tab and pulls up Call Me Maybe Radio (or whatever song they wanted) and continues where it left off the last time we pulled it up.

I'm becoming more convinced that this is related to how many times you ask for a song. Any time I ask for a "new" song (i.e., one I haven't asked for before) it pulls it right up. But, when it's one of my kids' songs (i.e., they've asked for it multiple times in the past) it doesn't bring the song right up. It's like it goes to my History tab and pulls up Call Me Maybe Radio (or whatever song they wanted) and continues where it left off the last time we pulled it up.

Very possible. As I noticed that when I tried the feature what it does is sets up an on-the-fly '[requested song] station' which has the sang requested as the first song played. Them it'll continue to play other 'similar' songs on that new station. So calling it back up agai may just resume that station, not ith the original song, but with another 'similar' song...

It appears to be a function of that plus another factor - perhaps song demand across Slacker.

I can repeatedly ask for "classic" songs (like "Jet Airliner" by Steve Miller Band, or "Life is a Highway" by Rascal Flatts) and it will come up nearly every time (95%). Asking for a new song, even the first time, seems to be a shot in the dark.

I logged out of my "Plus" account and logged back in with my Tesla account, and tried to play "New York, New York" by Sinatra...worked perfectly on the Tesla account. Than I logged back into my PLUS account and it DID NOT play NY, NY. Very strange as to what songs can play and on what account. Also the playlist on my PLUS account did not play on the TESLA account. I am using the PLUS account since I paid for a month and will see how it goes before I renew and hopefully Tesla and Slacker figure this all out.

I can pull up somewhat obscure songs almost at will (I called up Seasons of Love from Rent this morning without a problem), and at the start of the weekend Gentleman by Psy (my 5 year old's favorite song) came up fine the first time we asked for it. Every other time he was in the car (and there were several over the weekend), it didn't work. Assuming he's not in my car this week, I'm sure he'll ask again this weekend, and if it comes up again, then I'm going with the "recent history" theory, which is that you can call a song up once, but not over and over again, at least not in a short time window (within a couple of days).

I logged out of my "Plus" account and logged back in with my Tesla account, and tried to play "New York, New York" by Sinatra...worked perfectly on the Tesla account. Than I logged back into my PLUS account and it DID NOT play NY, NY. Very strange as to what songs can play and on what account. Also the playlist on my PLUS account did not play on the TESLA account. I am using the PLUS account since I paid for a month and will see how it goes before I renew and hopefully Tesla and Slacker figure this all out.

Interesting. My test earlier was with my separate plus account (can't set the "no explicitl lyrics" bit through the Model S UI) and all on stations that I'd previously generated, though I hadn't played them in a while.

Call or email ownership and they will give you your password for slacker. It sounds like Tesla paid for a few months for most. I have a signature and have a year-long subscription to Slacker Plus. I would pay the difference to upgrade, but I'll wait until they support it on the Model S.

It seems like most of the frustrations are born out of the Plus subscription expiring and not realizing it.

I'd love to be able to replay a song, or to play albums. Hope they update the app soon!

Can you upgrade the tesla account yourself?

Boy I wish there was a way to have a sticky on this subject as the information and guessing swirls in all directions. I know I've done a lot of complaining but also attempting to clarify so we can all be on the same page and Tesla can address the problems. I feel very sure that there are two distinct problems.

1) The Tesla is mostly not compatible with premium accounts and so premium functions are mostly not available even if you are using your own Premium account that you've paid for. One feature of a Premium account is an increased # of songs that can be called up directly above and beyond the provided Plus accounts that Tesla gives as a trial. (Normal Plus accounts, according to Slacker, should not call up any songs directly but the Tesla accounts do making them some unknown Plus+ type). Another feature of premium is the ability to call up songs repeatedly. The Tesla/Slacker trial account limits how many times you can play a song-- I'm not sure of how long that limit is but seems to vary by song and can be up to many days long.

2) The problem that spawned this particular thread is that a week or so ago, the trial accounts stopped offering up ANY songs directly for many people. However, Premium accounts continued to behave in that Plus+ fashion; allowing some songs to be called up but not the full set that could be called up on other devices.

So... when one says "I called up this song yesterday but it doesn't work today" that's the limiter on the Slacker account-- it's there by design. If you have a Premium account, it's there but NOT by design.
What I (and perhaps you) would like to see Tesla do:
1) Restore the trial accounts to the functionality that they had before (apparently they're working on that)
2) Make it clear what that account is and does and what Slacker features it's supposed to include
3) Make the car compatible with Slacker premium so if we choose to pay for it we can have all Slacker premium features including the enlarged pool of songs to play directly and including the ability to play a song as often as we'd like.
Hope this helps to focus the discussion in a way that will lead to Tesla doing the above!

Not sure how the Plus accounts work, but I can play any song available in my MS as many times as I like using Play Lists from my Premium account. And as far as I can tell I can play any song on demand that is allowed by licensing. ( using voice command "Play X by Y" or simply "Play X" )

I've started using my Slacker Premium account at work too and have built up a very nice Favorites Playlist. Just logout/login in the car and its updated. Close enough for now...

If yo update a playlist on your PC/Mac/phone, how do you get the Slacker interface in the car to see the updates other than log out and back in? I added 5 songs to a playlist 2days ago but the MS still doesn't show those songs in the playlist.

Also, the interface needs to have a 'cache' mode like the phone interface for offline playing ideally...

If yo update a playlist on your PC/Mac/phone, how do you get the Slacker interface in the car to see the updates other than log out and back in? I added 5 songs to a playlist 2days ago but the MS still doesn't show those songs in the playlist.

Also, the interface needs to have a 'cache' mode like the phone interface for offline playing ideally...

I was going to try rebooting to see if that would update without logging out/in. (anyone try this?) Logging out/in wouldn't be a big deal, but when you logout it erases your username and you have to retype....