TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Slacker Radio Premium experience

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ben.krasnow, Mar 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Corsair

Corsair Member

BoringTunes

• Disagree x 1
  2. Daniellane

Daniellane Active Member

I think this is a bit out of context.
    My response was following another response to this question...
    I think I’ll hold off for now. Maybe Elon will launch his own streaming service as threatened. “Muskic”?
    Just a joke/play
    on words.

3. Spelly88

Spelly88 Member

I just got my Tesla last week and I've started playing around with Slacker... I really love how I can use a voice command to ask for any song and it'll play. However, I tried to play the same song again after an hour or so, and it wouldn't play it... Is that a limitation of the Slacker account that Tesla gives us? Or am I missing something?

4. kdday

kdday Member

That's how it is. Usually have to wait like 24 hours to replay a specific song. Spotify would be so much better if we had it!

• Informative x 1
  5. kutkuzak

kutkuzak Patrick

You can sign up for your own Slacker premium account and then you have unlimited access, your own playlists, etc.
    The free Tesla account provided for you has some limitations.

• Informative x 1
  6. Max*

Max* Charging

It's not 24 hours. I've played the same requested song at least twice in one day (I have kids...)

I don't know the exact number, but I want to say around 4 hours.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  7. Spelly88

Spelly88 Member

Thanks all... So just to confirm, if I sign up for the $10/month plan, I can replay the same song as much as I want with no restrictions? (I also have kids)

8. kutkuzak

kutkuzak Patrick

Yup - same song - all songs from an artist - specific albums, etc.

• Like x 1
  9. boonedocks

boonedocks Active Member

And create unlimited playlists and or albums - even scrub the songs forward or backwards the a specific point.

10. cmarshack

cmarshack Member

Wait, what?!? I have Slacker Premium and I cannot scrub songs forward and backwards. And definitely cannot play a specific song more than once. It just creates a "station" for that song after it plays it the first time...pretty worthless.

Can someone post a youtube video of their UI and how to ff and rr songs while they are playing? I know I cannot do that...

11. kutkuzak

kutkuzak Patrick

I believe you have to create a playlist to get the skip back and scrub functionality.

• Love x 1
  12. boonedocks

boonedocks Active Member

Correct. Or select and save a specific album under your playlist. NOT call up a specific song or request on demand. That works the same as the Tesla basic account even under your premium log in.

Premium playlist & album = FF / RW / Scrub

13. Spelly88

Spelly88 Member

Ok so you can only play a song multiple times on demand if you have it in a playlist already which you have to do from a pc?

You still can’t do the voice command on demand more than once even with premium?

14. boonedocks

boonedocks Active Member

#74 boonedocks, Aug 7, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    Haven't tried the voice command for a song over and over as we (the family ALL of them LOL) just add a favorite to their own playlist.

As for creating them, you can do it from a pc or your phone or an ipad…

Here is a quick video of my daughters playlist. (don't judge me LOL)

• Informative x 3
  15. kutkuzak

kutkuzak Patrick

The one thing I don't like about playlists is that each song played gets added to the front of your 'recent' list which I prefer to use to switch between frequently used 'channels'. So the songs quickly bump everything off. Having an album added as a favorite album lets you listen to it whenever you want but you can only skip forward (so you have to keep skipping to roll over to the beginning if you want to listen from the start). It only counts as one recent entry though.

16. cmarshack

cmarshack Member

Thank you! That is how I always envisioned the system should work. now I just have to give my kids access to Slacker online and all should be good...now just need a new MCU to fix all the loading errors...

17. DMack

DMack Member

I was speaking with a friend who works at Tesla and asked him about Spotify, and he tells me that the issue is with Spotify wanting to charge Tesla a boatload of money on licensing fees.
    That money would have to be carried over to the owner somehow, and Tesla does not want to do that.

18. ahkahn

ahkahn Member

I know a lot of people love Spotify, but personally I'm not in that camp. I much prefer Slacker, even outside of the Tesla, to Spotify. If we're talking about Tesla radio gripes for a second, I wish they would have an iHeartRadio interface, as TuneIn excludes all iHeart channels.

19. kutkuzak

kutkuzak Patrick

Before I got my Tesla I would've said I wanted Sirius/XM, and as for streaming didn't really care. Now having used Slacker, I love it. I particularly love the news feed you can have inserted into audio streams for breaking news, but also will frequently listen to the ABC news channel on the way to work for quick update on everything. I love that there's no commercials, just basic quick news recaps and coverage. The general interface could be better but my biggest gripe with Slacker itself is they only give you a *single* stream for your subscription, so someone can't listen at home on our Sonos while I listen in the car (with the same premium login). Other services offer multiple simultaneous streams.

20. dark cloud

dark cloud Member

Slacker is so much better than XM/Sirius, and it is free in my car! Enjoying Slacker very much, but I would be even happier if I could access my Tidal account in the car.

I have nothing against Spotify; it is good, but Tidal is the best if sound quality is your main concern. (320kb/s vs. lossless (over 1000 kb/s))Tidal has more song choices as well. It is just not as popular yet. If Tesla considers itself to be the epitome of vehicle technology it should employ the resources of the equivalent streaming service.

4 reasons to ditch Spotify for Tidal

Tidal and Spotify Side by Side Comparison | Sidify