TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Sleep detection

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by xjeldc, Apr 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. xjeldc

xjeldc New Member

When using Auto Pilot there is a lot less to do as a driver. If you are sleepy, it easy to fall asleep. I would like to have a wideo camera that watches to drivers face. There are researchers that have studied how to detect sleeping from video images. When detected, I would like to get an alarm sound and if the driver don't react quickly enough then the car should drive to the side of the road and slowly stop the car. Please implement this, can't be expensive to do.

2. David99

David99 Active Member

I have seen such a product more than 20 years ago. It was a set of glasses that monitored your eye lids and would sound an alarm when they stayed closed longer than a certain amount of time. I guess today it could be a little more sophisticated.

Send it to Tesla as a suggestion.

3. Xaff

Xaff Member

While this could be a great feature to have for the current state of Auto Piolt, it does not have long term value considering Tesla's vision is to have completely anonymous cars and therefore would not be much of a safety issue if you fell asleep.

4. Jim R

Jim R Member

I have this feature in my Mercedes E250. The car monitors my actions during the first 15 minutes of driving. If it notices I'm getting sleepy or not watching the road, an alarm tells me to take a break. It was called Attention Assist in 2014. You can read up on it on a Mercedes site. (or not :) ) I see two "camera-like" things in the sun visor area on the drivers side. I'm not really sure of all that it does, but it does warn me when I have my eyes off the road too much.

5. deonb

deonb Active Member

Weird. Why would it only do it for the first 15 minutes?

6. Jim R

Jim R Member

It's my understanding (hey, I only drive the car!) that it monitors for 15 minutes to get a baseline of your driving. Then it monitors for changes. Again, I'm the driver, not the engineer who built it. Not sure why Tesla didn't buy that technology from Mercedes. They did buy the shift control lever - that's an exact copy on one in my Mercedes.

7. Scannerman

Scannerman Member

Am I to assume, you would also be comfortable, riding on an Airliner, while the entire crew slept!?

Scannerman

8. Xaff

Xaff Member

If it was equipped to be fully autonomous and proven reliable, sure. Especially since there are air traffic controllers that are monitoring the planes and air traffic space.

9. Ames

Ames Member

I wonder if the Attention Assist feature comes with a snooze button?

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  10. SureValla

SureValla Member

As I understand it the current AP requires you to touch the steering wheel every minute to signal you are still paying attention. However, I could see a situation where someone falls asleep with their hands on the wheel.

11. pinski

pinski Going Plaid

I don't believe that's the case. The only experience I have is test driving a Model S with AP and I let it barrel down the highway without any input or touch from me for a good five minutes.

12. tga

tga Active Member

You mean the air traffic controllers who can't hail the sleeping crew to fix a problem because, well, they're sleeping? ;)

13. proven

proven Member

The current AP software will ask you to touch the wheel periodically to make sure you are still there. And by touch I mean cause a little bit of torque on the wheel.

The time between the car asking you to do so varies and based on my observations, it seems to do it based on the type of road, how defined the lines are, and how fast you are going relative to the speed limit. If you are going the speed limit on a divided highway with nicely painted lines, it may be 5+ minutes without it asking. If you are going 15 over the speed limit and the lines aren't great it will ask you more frequently.

The first warning is just a visual cue on the dash. If you don't touch it after a short period of time it will beep at you as well. If you still don't touch the wheel the car will put the hazard lights on and slowly stop the car. I haven't tested this so I don't know how long after the beep warning it will stop the car, but I've read that it will stop the car right there in the middle of the road (no lane changes or getting off to the side).

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  14. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

As near as I can tell, there is no fixed time interval required by the AP. It isn't that simple.

And yes, I can envision a scenario where the driver falls asleep while on AP with one or two hands resting at the bottom of the steering wheel. I'm sure this happens many times every day around the world on cars with no self-driving capability. And people die.

15. pinski

pinski Going Plaid

Cool! Thanks for the clarification! My experience was on a perfectly lined and paved interstate going about 72 in a 70, so that would make sense why I never received any notification.

16. Xaff

Xaff Member

If airplanes become fully autonomous, I'm sure air traffic controllers would be able to send instructions directly to the plane without the need of a flight crew. That or someone within the airline company that would be responsible for managing everything on the plane remotely.

17. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

I'm not sure asleep with your hands resting on the steering wheel will count for autopilot as input. It doesn't detect people touching the wheel. It detects somebody applying torque to the wheel.