Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smaller and Lighter wheels make you faster, more efficient, and offer better road hazard protection.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A full second difference is almost 50 feet difference 0-60 mph. You couldn’t be more wrong unless you are driving around in a 50 foot car that does 0-60 mph in about 3 seconds.

View attachment 870165

View attachment 870166
You’re talking fantasy. I’ve owned the model Y performance and you’re never gonna get 3.2 seconds. Maybe with perfect conditions- 3.7 seconds.

I’ve owned , both

I'm convinced there are enough practical benefits to 18's. Is there a good forged (or sufficiently light) aero wheel option for 18" ? I was hoping to get the aero highway range boost. I saw an earlier thread where people were using M3 stock aero wheels.

I'm convinced there are enough practical benefits to 18's. Is there a good forged (or sufficiently light) aero wheel option for 18" ? I was hoping to get the aero highway range boost. I saw an earlier thread where people were using M3 stock aero wheels.
If you are near Maryland:

There is another aftermarket 18 with aero caps, but not sure why you wouldn't snag the Tesla wheels, especially at used prices like above.

If you are near Maryland:

There is another aftermarket 18 with aero caps, but not sure why you wouldn't snag the Tesla wheels, especially at used prices like above.
Aftermarket:

Switched from the stock wheels to 18" EV01+ aero wheels with 235/45R18 PS4S tires. Managed to drop my 0-60mph PB from 3.20 to 3.09s. This was without any weight reduction beyond the wheel/tire setup. It's possible that with ideal conditions and removing the passenger & rear seats that I could break into the sub-3.0 second range. I'd settle for a 2.99.. maybe with weight reduction and on a prepped dragstrip instead of the street.

Details via SMT (ScanMyTesla):
90% SoC
49C battery cell temp mid
453kW max discharge power
104F ambient temp
44psi tire pressure

EV01 wheels 0-60 PB.jpg

Last edited:
Over a few dozen runs I have seen about a 0.1s decrease going from my race set to my daily set. The wheels are the same, but the tires are about 5lb heavier (each) on the race set. The first thing I notice after installing the race set is the increased regen rolling distance and, to a lesser degree, the slightly slower acceleration.

Last edited:
Reactions: MacO512 and EVolv3d
There has been a lot of debate about what effects smaller and lighter wheels have on the Model 3 Performance. I am here to end that debate.

I realize your post is now just over a year old, but I want to thank you for indeed ending the debate-- or at least providing something more than total speculation. These sorts of real-world tests with objective data are extremely helpful for sorting through all the hype and nonsense posted online about this topic. Thanks again.

What disproves the acceleration limited theory is regardless of the accuracy of their methods, it clearly is "approximately" 1 full second faster 0-60.
Even if their measurements were off by 50%, it still puts the last nail in the coffin of the acceleration limited via computer theory.
That's an M3P, it does 0-60 in 3.2 seconds.

They didn't even use a Dragy, and they were on the street. Then they simply relied on the display that was being recorded. It's probably the worst potential testing environment you could use as a basis for measuring this, other than just having someone eyeball it and use a stop watch.

These guys removed the most weight. Result 0-60 time dropped from 3.8 to 2.8 seconds.
Posted and discussed in this very thread starting on post #93, just 18 posts before yours, back when the video came out in May:

Reactions: Lindenwood