Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smartwatch as a key?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
if i can get an inanimate object (like a ring) to be an NFC key for my car why cant i get my NFC watch (Garmin in this case) to do it?

Because, as @Gasaraki said, those "inanimate object like a ring" keys are made by someone buying a keycard from Tesla, and using chemicals to melt the plastic of the keycard, and remove the actual chip from an official keycard.

They then take that "official chip from a tesla keycard" and embed it in a ring or something. Unless you can "embed official keycard from tesla" into your watch (not likely) you wont be able to do it. You could do it into a cellphone case or something (people have done that) but unless you can take apart your garmin watch, and embed the actual tesla keycard chip from a keycard you melted the plastic off of, its not going to work.

• Informative
Reactions: Gasaraki and vickh
I think the rings are actually made from the chip in your key card, that's why they work.

Glad I saw this b/c I was going to buy a generic NFC ring. i'm surprised that NFC tags aren't programmable someway.

OT but what's the cheapest current TESLA ring solution? surprised TSLA doesn't offer it

Last edited:
I think the cheapest ones are right under $100 USD. Haven't checked in awhile.
I bought the COLMO ring on Amazon for $120. It works fine via RFID (no internet required) and is a nice backup to my iPhone-as-key. The COLMO ring pairs with a Model 3 or Y using the same procedure as pairing a Tesla keycard. We have two Teslas and I was able to pair my ring with both of them.

Curious why anyone would give their Tesla login info to a 3rd party app. Until my apple watch can show up as a key under security in the Tesla App, and in the car itself, no thank you. I think the delay is apple wants car manufacturers to use the Apple Key system and Carplay and Tesla in not about to give up any of the experience to Apple.
If you are paranoid you can genereate your own tokens for the Tesla API and feed to the third party app.
The well known apps don't store your login info, the just use it ones to create the API token.

Reactions: joshendy
They are using low emissions bluetooth for the phone as key, not regular bluetooth.. and I wouldnt hold my breath. Likely be a support nightmare because many people with watches dont have LTE versions, and wouldnt understand why their watch didnt open the car, etc.

Thats my guess as to why tesla doesnt have a watch complication for iPhone or watch app for android. support concerns.
I don't have a Tesla yet, I am buying a house first. As soon as we settle on the house, I'm allowed to get my Tesla (I was thinking Model 3, but I have been thinking about a Model Y). I know that my decision to purchase isn't even a drop in the bucket to them, but there are a few things that I feel like they are going backwards on.
  • Keyless entry with a keypad- I shouldn't need anything- I want a sleek vehicle, so a physical button keypad could be replaced with a capacitive system for backup [this system would be great when your battery dies or device malfunctions- cards are bulky and not an answer]
  • First Party, Direct Bluetooth Support in the Tesla software for Apple Watch & Google Wear (other devices like the fitbit Versa 3 might also be possible)- For what Teslas cost, like service centers, "good enough" will no longer do. When I go to the gym, I want to be able to be able to work out without having to carry anything.
I know there are third party work arounds, but they do not work the same technologically (they work through your phone, might be less reliable) and they usually aren't free.

I don't have a Tesla yet, I am buying a house first. As soon as we settle on the house, I'm allowed to get my Tesla (I was thinking Model 3, but I have been thinking about a Model Y). I know that my decision to purchase isn't even a drop in the bucket to them, but there are a few things that I feel like they are going backwards on.
  • Keyless entry with a keypad- I shouldn't need anything- I want a sleek vehicle, so a physical button keypad could be replaced with a capacitive system for backup [this system would be great when your battery dies or device malfunctions- cards are bulky and not an answer]
  • First Party, Direct Bluetooth Support in the Tesla software for Apple Watch & Google Wear (other devices like the fitbit Versa 3 might also be possible)- For what Teslas cost, like service centers, "good enough" will no longer do. When I go to the gym, I want to be able to be able to work out without having to carry anything.
I know there are third party work arounds, but they do not work the same technologically (they work through your phone, might be less reliable) and they usually aren't free.

"Cards are bulky and not an answer?" Thats got to be the first time I have ever heard someone call a credit card "bulky". If you dont carry credit cards, that would be because you have those in your smartphone which is also a key. "keyless entry with keypad" is definitely going backwards, since thats been around for at least a couple of decades, and is only for getting into, not driving, the vehicle.

The more ways there are to get in your car, the more chances "someone else" will figure out how to unlock it and drive off with it. With that being said, I imagine that at some point smart watches will be used as actual keys, so I do see that as not only possible, but likely at somepoint. There is almost no chance that there will be any sort of touchpad on the side of the car to unlock it, though.

Reactions: dmurphy

First and foremost, welcome! Congratulations on both your home and your upcoming Tesla!

Now, having said that …. As usual I agree with @jjrandorin. The RF card is the furthest thing from bulky as a backup. It sounds a little unusual until you use it and realize just how brilliant it actually is. Slips right in your wallet, easy cheesy.

If you’re still concerned, there is a key fob available for purchase.

And if THAT isn’t enough, apps like Stats for the Apple Watch would give you the ability to use it to unlock and start the car. Over cellular too, if your watch supports that.

That’s at least 4 ways of access, all of which work well.

If I’m guessing, you’re coming out of a Ford. That keypad sounded good 20 years ago, but here in 2022, it would give a Tesla a strong Crown Vic vibe …..

You’ll find over time that the things you were concerned about pre-Tesla become non-events. At least that’s what happened for me.

Congrats again - focus on the home closing and then worry about everything else … nothing more important than the place you call home!

You’ll find over time that the things you were concerned about pre-Tesla become non-events. At least that’s what happened for me.

Totally my experience as well. Before owning a Tesla:

"Oh, a phone, no backup key ...", no issue, card is super easy to carry as a backup and iPhone (and Watch + Tessie) work perfectly. And the key cards are thin and and very durable (and even waterproof).

Kind of off the original topic, but another common one:

"There's only a center display for basic car data like speedometer ...", no issue, I was used to it by the end of 30 minute drive home from delivery :)

I think the rings are actually made from the chip in your key card, that's why they work.

I thought any NFC chip that can be programmed, triggered/read and within the frequency spec will work. iPhones sandbox their NFC a bit more (so it's only accessible through an app interface), but it's my understanding an Android device, with NFC, can be setup as a NFC key[?]

Like once setup, you don't even need to run the Tesla app, you can just tap the phone like you would a keycard.

A capacitive keypad on the glass B-pillar is not a bad idea, because you wouldn't see it when you weren't using it.

You can use your Watch with cellular with a 3rd party app, to open your car. For the gym, I wear a lanyard which has my vax card, ID, and keycard. Of course, I can take off the lanyard and put it in a hip pocket.