Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So… Highland is out…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A lot of people are getting bent out of shape over the removal of stalks...and even are threatening to leave the brand. It reminds me that big user interface update and people swearing never to have another Tesla because of the removal of the tire pressure card.
At the end of the day..the minimalist approach to interiors and driver controls...is very divisive, but everyone here has embraced it...so why not go all the way 🤷‍♂️
looking forwad to the no steering wheel or chair update.....people will still buy these cars :rolleyes:

I don’t fancy driving a car without an indicator stalk but would happily give it a go on a test drive.

Despite a lot of views on this forum that Tesla and EM just cost cut the whole time I’m happy to see that there are a lot of upgrades which will increase production costs so, whether right or wrong (e.g. removal of USS), they generally seem to want to remove stuff that they believe is (or will be) redundant - as I suspected all along.

Seeing the carwow reviews it does look like a nice incremental improvement. Like I found, to a lessor degree, moving from 2019 to 2021 models.

As I have always tried to avoid mass market cars I can’t see myself getting a third M3 even though it would be a shallow reason not too. Far too many M3s and MYs in West London now.

• Funny
Reactions: Parrog
A lot of people are getting bent out of shape over the removal of stalks...and even are threatening to leave the brand. It reminds me that big user interface update and people swearing never to have another Tesla because of the removal of the tire pressure card.
At the end of the day..the minimalist approach to interiors and driver controls...is very divisive, but everyone here has embraced it...so why not go all the way 🤷‍♂️
I think it was more the energy consumption card than the tire card and as @Tony Hoyle said the complaints worked and they brought them back so you are actually making the argument for complaining, same with the steering wheel.
that aside a useful tire pressure card and the stalks are not quite the same.
After the steering wheel and pedals themselves I think I would argue that the indicator/headlight stalk is the most fundamental and consistently applied driving control in a car with the possible exception of the speedo. Its in the same place and works pretty much the same way on almost all cars out there and it controls essential safety related features. As such you should probably think very very hard before deciding to mess with it and if you do you should think very hard about what you do. Changing something like that just for the sake of it would be a dumb thing to do and thus far I have not seen any explanation of why this has been done and why it is a good idea.
Innovation is good, change for the sake of it or minor cost saving not so much.

Reactions: Bernard_S
wouldn't stop all the times the wipers go crazy on completely dry windscreens!

Although ... a "sensitivity" button could solve that too.

Use the stalk (whilst you still have one!) to indicate "Too frequent" or "Not frequent enough" intermitted wipe. Software can learn from that, and adjust accordingly.

The sensitity "twist" knob I had on older cars with intermitted wipe needed fiddling with all the time. "Behaviour correction" input would adjust the algorithm, not just a potentiometer! and would result in a more personalised configuration and be a persistent change (stored in the profile)

I may have spotted the UK (and I think European issue). When the boot it open, there are no rear light so a car stopped with hazards on and the boot open isn't correctly illuminated at night - screenshot taken from a video.

View attachment 970478

The BMW iX has the same issue, so they put more lights that you can see once the boot is open

View attachment 970479

I'm guessing this is a regulation, and either way, for a company priding itself on safety, I kind of think hazards should still be visible when the boot open, unless they've achieved this some other way?

I think someone has also suggested there's no rear fog light, but no idea if thats true

28:00 on that video

I just don't get how you are meant to go round a roundabout with no stalks? I constantly use indicators and there is no way I will like buttons on the wheel.

I'll give it a go, but I can't see it working out. The Wipers wind me up the more I use them I think, such a basic thing these days and Tesla refuse to fix it. They had their chance for Highland, but decided not to bother.
Voice commands ;)

Actually, looked at that way, you have a good point. Everyone knows that the auto wipers just deliver a really bad experience, particularly at night; and that after four years of promised software improvements ("deep rain" - anyone remember that?) it's still bad. Highland would have been a great opportunity to do what everyone else does and fit proper rain sensors on the windscreen. On the same theme, they could have brought back the tried and trusted USS sensors since park distance measurement is now as bad a train wreck as the wipers. But they ignored all these irritations - all of which are really well known day-to-day frustrations experienced by most of their user base.

I guess it's all about saving face, since any impartial and rational view of the problem would lead to them just fixing it.
Frankly though I don’t think it’s hurt their sales. Especially not compared to the money they save over all the cars they sell by ripping these things out. Also I suspect most people don’t even know they are missing.

The stalks though I think could be a step too far and is going to make people have second thoughts. They also will notice they are missing on this one so it’s not only something people on forums and in the know are aware of.

if they can’t achieve park assist then they’ll never achieve summon, there’s a lot riding on this update. if that was a number cam, I fell like it’ll be broken by road debris in a week, unless it retracts.
Front camera is a no, saw a video from OutOfSpec Reviews just now and he specifically looked down in the grill, nothing there.

Call me the odd one out here but I don’t think Vision Park Assist is terrible. It’s not great but it’s not a show stopper. I still feel a bit uncomfortable nosing in but I rarely do that in any car anyway, reversing when you have the camera as your main view and that as a backup is fine for me and the wife. I do think it can improve, more so on HW4 from the better cameras over time.

Interestingly in the early days of computing, there were lots of dedicated co-processors for everything. Then as general CPU’s died off they killed most of those off as the CPU could do it all. These days though moving back to dedicated hardware for some tasks as it does it better and more power efficient. Tesla is just in their general CPU cycle, the dedicated parts will come back sooner or later 😉

Last edited:
They obviously did plan to put a bumper camera in as it was in some of their images on their website and then removed. It seems fair for Teslascope to have predicted this. Possible this will just be one of Tesla’s normal changes to the car with no warning at some point.

Seeing as we now know what Highland is and hence likely that Model Y refresh is extremely similar. Wonder if that’ll impact the Y’s sales much or hardly at all. Probably the latter as most won’t know.

They obviously did plan to put a bumper camera in as it was in some of their images on their website and then removed. It seems fair for Teslascope to have predicted this. Possible this will just be one of Tesla’s normal changes to the car with no warning at some point.

Seeing as we now know what Highland is and hence likely that Model Y refresh is extremely similar. Wonder if that’ll impact the Y’s sales much or hardly at all. Probably the latter as most won’t know.
It’s only fair up to a point but you shouldn’t really claim something will happen and then later claim they’re still finalising the design and what hardware they’ll include. I think it’s fair Tesla have looked at it as a possibility, so why not just say that?

Irrespective, people are getting excited about a parking camera that’s been on other makes of car for years. I can’t see what value it brings to autopilot/FSD

Irrespective, people are getting excited about a parking camera that’s been on other makes of car for years. I can’t see what value it brings to autopilot/FSD
I thought the "excitement" was that due to the lack of USS so Teslas have massive blindspot in their parking sensor coverage and it sucks. People though this was going to fix it.

Reactions: randompixel
It’s only fair up to a point but you shouldn’t really claim something will happen and then later claim they’re still finalising the design and what hardware they’ll include. I think it’s fair Tesla have looked at it as a possibility, so why not just say that?

Right but companies change their minds or plans as well. At the time they reported it, it could have been on the design and no discussions for it not to be there. Then at the last minute something cropped up and they removed it. Could be something as simple as not able to source enough cameras in time to add it without impacting the number of cars they can build.

I mean just saying I appreciate these leaks and aware they aren’t always accurate. Possible some make stuff up for the attention but the rest I think are just reporting what they’ve heard at the time. Things can and do change when a product is still in design. This happens all the time say with Apple rumours as well.

Kind of agree with you though, for autopilot probably of no value so it’s mostly just for parking. Don’t believe it allows them to even do a 360 degree parking view like other cars have because the side cameras aren’t at the right angle for it either.

Also it’s got to be a nightmare for developing autopilot if you have so many different configurations. I imagine to train the neural networks it’s not just training on HW3 but for each of the different cars that will have a slightly different view of the world based on their camera locations being all slightly different. A Model Y will see a slightly higher view of the world vs a 3 for instance. Add to this HW4 with potentially varying numbers of cameras, it feels like you’d have too many different combinations that will slow them down. After all they haven’t even offered FSB Beta on HW4 yet and it’s been shipping for a good while on Model S / X.