Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So… Highland is out…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
See page 74 of the manual (https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/model3/en_eu/Owners_Manual.pdf ). There's a dedicated button for the wipers on the steering wheel.

Thought it interesting they have a dedicated rear camera button. Not sure I can think of any instances, apart from towing, where instant access to rear view camera is necessary but not automatically triggered such as reverse.

Also, non functioning cruise control light. Is that a light that in future will turn on to make it more obvious that you are back in full control of the car? A few times it’s not been obvious that I’ve inadvertently dropped out of autopilot because the car has tracked so well and don’t notice the bing from the numerous bongs. First you realise you are back in control is the car not steering for a corner! Would be good to see better indication of what mode you are in. But it does specifically say cruise control so probably not that.

where instant access to rear view camera is necessary but not automatically triggered such as reverse.

I turn rear camera on for manoeuvring, I would like it to stay on as I back-and-fill multiple times, rather than flicking between map / Rear Camera - there isn't much lag, but its enough to annoy me. For example, I know there is space behind me, so I can reverse ... but if the camera is already on I can check for pedestrian etc. as I'm selecting reverse.

Thought the new car was supposed to be gigacasted? Turns out that's not the case at all

This was speculated, but never confirmed. It's not a lot different than the old 3 in the "guts", so if Tesla wanted minimal production impact, this is how they would go. They would not have to teardown and rebuild the production lines, etc.

This doesn't, however, exclude a cast version in the future. We have seen at least 3 different versions of the Model Y.
- dual rear gigacast, regular non-cast front (original Fremont 2170 version)
- single rear gigacast, regular non-cast front (2nd/current Austin/Berlin/Shanghai/Fremont 2170 version)
- double gigacast front+rear (Austin 4680 version only)

So, many different ways to skin the cat. I personally would prefer a double gigacast front+rear 3, but Tesla is all about volume production and I guess we will have to wait for that until they want to retool the lines for it.

The giga castings are probably being prioritized for the $25,000 car in Austin

If rumors are true, they are not the same size castings. The Y uses casts from a 6,000-lb press (that's force, but it corresponds with size). The CT from a 9,000-lb press (much much bigger).

For the $25,000 car, the rumor is this week that Tesla wants to try to use a single piece casting (they were awarded a patent for this back in 2019). This may not pan out as it is quite the technological hurdle, but if it does, it would mean presses and casts larger than the CT castings and require something like a 12-16,000-lb press. It would be massive in size.

Big Reuters article on it this week, but it's all speculation at this point and may not even be true.

Anyway, my point is that the CT presses would not be used for the $25,000 car, ever. Wrong size. The Y presses probably are the wrong size as well, unless they abandon the sing-gigapress idea.

• Informative
Reactions: Bouba
This was speculated, but never confirmed. It's not a lot different than the old 3 in the "guts", so if Tesla wanted minimal production impact, this is how they would go. They would not have to teardown and rebuild the production lines, etc.

This doesn't, however, exclude a cast version in the future. We have seen at least 3 different versions of the Model Y.
- dual rear gigacast, regular non-cast front (original Fremont 2170 version)
- single rear gigacast, regular non-cast front (2nd/current Austin/Berlin/Shanghai/Fremont 2170 version)
- double gigacast front+rear (Austin 4680 version only)

So, many different ways to skin the cat. I personally would prefer a double gigacast front+rear 3, but Tesla is all about volume production and I guess we will have to wait for that until they want to retool the lines for it.
I think Berlin has a front+rear cast when using the BYD Blade batteries?

• Helpful
Reactions: bkp_duke
Tesla UK sending out emails this morning about ordering a Highland. They say order online and send them the RN number. Prices will be the same.
That sounds pretty risky to me, relying on “sending them” (how?) the RN and trusting that they’ll honour it. You will have ordered what’s shown to you on the order page (i.e. the current gen car).

What happens if you order a P? Does that mean you can get 0% financing on Highland cars?

I think Berlin has a front+rear cast when using the BYD Blade batteries?

Could be, I was basing solely on those I've seen tear-down information for. Berlin is a bit hazy on that mark, nothing 100% confirmed.

Regardless, my main point was how many different manufacturing configurations of the same car there are. Just because we don't see a cast 3 yet, doesn't mean it's not going to happen. Fremont, for example, is taking much longer time for the transition to Highland (and we have confirmation through permits that they have started working on the production lines). We also see new construction at Fremont, a very heavy foundation structure - so there is some indication we might see a different type of Highland 3 out of Fremont than Shanghai.

A few years ago Sandy Munro had a one-on-one interview with Elon (there is a YT video) and asked him why the 3 had not been transitioned (at that time, about 2020) to a cast setup like the Y. Elon was very clear, it was because it would take too much time to take the lines down and rebuild them for castings, when they were having trouble keeping up with orders. I suspect that is why the Shanghai lines were down for so little time, they wanted to move things over ASAP and have as little impact on sales of cars from their largest production facility as possible.

@randompixel Can you please share the email?
Good Morning,

I hope you are well, I am reaching out to you regarding the New Model 3 "Project Highland" the Refreshed model 3.

Along with all of the new features in the model 3 and the redesigned front and rear of the highland model and a whole new interior look and design.

The price point will remain the same for orders placed now, following this link - https://www.tesla.com/en_gb/model3/design#overview

You can place the £200 deposit via the website to pre-order your car Model 3 Highland, once done please send me the RN number so I can make sure you are one of the 1st in the UK to get your hands on the Model 3 Highland.

If you would like a call back to discuss more please let me know and I will reach out to you.

Good Morning,

I hope you are well, I am reaching out to you regarding the New Model 3 "Project Highland" the Refreshed model 3.

Along with all of the new features in the model 3 and the redesigned front and rear of the highland model and a whole new interior look and design.

The price point will remain the same for orders placed now, following this link - https://www.tesla.com/en_gb/model3/design#overview

You can place the £200 deposit via the website to pre-order your car Model 3 Highland, once done please send me the RN number so I can make sure you are one of the 1st in the UK to get your hands on the Model 3 Highland.

If you would like a call back to discuss more please let me know and I will reach out to you.
Hmmm - that mail clearly isn't an official Tesla marketing mail (just going by the grammar errors). Plus, the ordering page is just the standard one for the current car. Sounds like some sales guy is taking it upon himself/herself to garner RNs and then dish out deliveries single-handed ("I can make sure that you are one of the 1st in the UK..."). Does this person have the authority to allocate RNs to arriving cars? I'd like something more than a mail like this to convince me it's anything other than a rogue member of the sales team.

Hmmm - that mail clearly isn't an official Tesla marketing mail (just going by the grammar errors). Plus, the ordering page is just the standard one for the current car. Sounds like some sales guy is taking it upon himself/herself to garner RNs and then dish out deliveries single-handed ("I can make sure that you are one of the 1st in the UK..."). Does this person have the authority to allocate RNs to arriving cars? I'd like something more than a mail like this to convince me it's anything other than a rogue member of the sales team.

Definitely a bit fishy. I've received Nigerian scam emails with better English than that! :)