Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So… Highland is out…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But Liam, the video was specifically about Tesla's implementation of what they call the heat pump / super manifold so I don't understand when you say you'd be surprised if its fundamentally different (to what you think). It isn't a air source or ground source heat pump so you cant really compare it to those systems.

What was presented is the facts, with all the components of the Tesla system laid out and explained just how they all work together When I watched that video it took me well over two hours because i was pausing whilst i took everything in, i needed to absorb it and understand before moving on, I found it all fascinating but I've always been into the minutia of how things work.

Now given the facts that below 10 degrees the heat pump consumes well over 7.5Kws to generate heat you can understand why Tesla added an extra 7KWhrs to the HV battery size - they had to demonstrate the Heat Pump provided additional range - without the extra 7Kwhrs then there is little in it. Bear in mind its an American car, people in the states tend to nip out to see a friend 200 miles away and think nothing of it, here in the UK we have much shorter journeys - so the American experience of the Heat Pump will be a lot different to ours.

The only thing I don't know is how long the lossy generation operates for and how well the inverters and motors naturally generate heat as a by-product of being used, but no matter what people say - on short cold runs the heat pumps consume more power than the resistive heater, on long runs the heat pump is more efficient.

I missed the video link between responses somehow, so will take a look - thanks. I certainly haven't heard any feedback, especially here in Norway where we have plenty of cold mornings and short trips to childcare/work, of a heat pump car being less efficient than an old resistive heater car for this usage. Interesting topic (or should that be off-topic!)

It is uncommon in the US to have privacy glass in a saloon as the boot is not exposed to outside. So Model 3 rocked up without it and Model Y had it. I don’t expect this to change with the highland model.
But it's not in Europe or elsewhere outside of North America. Since these markets are supplied from Shanghai there's really no reason why it's not done other than pure laziness on Tesla's part.

But it's not in Europe or elsewhere outside of North America. Since these markets are supplied from Shanghai there's really no reason why it's not done other than pure laziness on Tesla's part.
Your previous thread has those discussions, so I do not want to repeat again including the laziness from Tesla.

Reactions: bkp_duke
But Liam, the video was specifically about Tesla's implementation of what they call the heat pump / super manifold so I don't understand when you say you'd be surprised if its fundamentally different (to what you think). It isn't a air source or ground source heat pump so you cant really compare it to those systems.

What was presented is the facts, with all the components of the Tesla system laid out and explained just how they all work together When I watched that video it took me well over two hours because i was pausing whilst i took everything in, i needed to absorb it and understand before moving on, I found it all fascinating but I've always been into the minutia of how things work.

Now given the facts that below 10 degrees the heat pump consumes well over 7.5Kws to generate heat you can understand why Tesla added an extra 7KWhrs to the HV battery size - they had to demonstrate the Heat Pump provided additional range - without the extra 7Kwhrs then there is little in it. Bear in mind its an American car, people in the states tend to nip out to see a friend 200 miles away and think nothing of it, here in the UK we have much shorter journeys - so the American experience of the Heat Pump will be a lot different to ours.

The only thing I don't know is how long the lossy generation operates for and how well the inverters and motors naturally generate heat as a by-product of being used, but no matter what people say - on short cold runs the heat pumps consume more power than the resistive heater, on long runs the heat pump is more efficient.
So I’ve not watched this video but have seen Tesla Bjorn’s videos on this and it’s never pulled close to what you’re suggesting even when he’s in like -20C. Also Out of Spec have done something on this also.

My wife’s car can heat up or cool down in 2 - 3 minutes max from whatever temp the UK can throw at it. I just don’t believe when there’s so much evidence that they are vastly more efficient all over the Internet that it actually isn’t.

Hi GlynG.

It isn't a air source or ground source heat pump
I think it is an air source heat pump. It's 'pumping' heat from the outside air into the cabin (or vice versa); heat which is transferred into (out of) the vehicle initially (finally) through the radiator. Yes it can also pump heat from other sources like the motors and battery, in an attempt to increase efficiency, but if they are cold then this won't happen.

below 10 degrees the heat pump consumes well over 7.5Kws to generate heat
The power draw of the heat pump depends on what is being asked of the system, not solely on the exterior temperature. While it may be able to draw up to 7.5kW, it certainly doesn't have to be doing so (like an old-school air conditioner). Presumably you meant "When you first start driving and the cabin's cold and you turn the heat up...".

...you can understand why Tesla added an extra 7KWhrs to the HV battery size [.] ...without the extra 7Kwhrs then there is little in it.
There's a logic failure here. So what if the heater / AC can use 7.5kW - why does that mean we need a larger battery? The heat pump is more efficient than a resistive heater (in cabin heating mode) so you will use less energy in cold conditions than in the older cars, so you'd expect increased range even if the battery were the same size.

on short cold runs the heat pumps consume more power than the resistive heater, on long runs the heat pump is more efficient
The heat pump can't be less efficient, that's basic physics; therefore I would suggest that the only way this could be true is if the cars with heat pumps were heating more than just the cabin - perhaps they're heating the battery as well as the cabin whereas the resistive heater cars were just driving around with a cold battery (I'm not sure under which conditions the pre-heat-pump cars try to heat the battery using the motors, other than when navigating to a Supercharger).

majority of the heat produced though is by the motors and their inverters, other sources are minuscule
I disagree that the most significant source of heat is the motors. More likely, it's the external radiator - unless you're on a race track perhaps. One could argue that heat produced is indeed greatest in the motors - if you call converting electrical energy into heat "production", and hence disregard the transfer of heat from ambient air into the radiator. But that's an irrelevant technicality because (I attest) heat gathered for use by the heat pump will still be dominated by the radiator. What's the efficiency of the motors? 95%? Now at freeway speed we're using about 15kW (very roughly; 350km range from ~50kWh over ~3.5 hours). The electrical losses (and hence heat generated) is therefore about 750W. That's not nothing but certainly well below the potential output of the heat pump (and PTC heater), and likely below cabin heating requirements in cold weather.

Keen to hear if I'm misunderstanding something. Cheers. :)

OK I watched the video! And a bunch more. I have to say - to anyone remotely interested in engineering, the whole long video is absolutely worth watching - fascinating! To address a couple of your points though...

First - it absolutely is an air sourced heat pump! The video goes into detail around 15:50 about how ambient air, drawn through the radiator, is one of the primary energy sources. So in that sense it really is very much like a domestic heat pump, which was my original comment on the topic ('surely it works like a normal heat pump?'). But of course it's so much more - it's a multiple source heat pump. And just how many sources was the fascinating part of the video - almost any heat generating process you can imagine in the car can be harvested by the system - amazing engineering!

Second - you say at 10C it is consuming 7.5 kW and is less efficient than the old resistive PTC system. I honestly don't know how you got that from the video! 10C is, according to the guy in the video, just the temperature below which they may start to use the 'lossy' resistive heat generation sources if needed to boost output from other sources. But if it actually uses any of these sources or not depends on the demand - he showed a demonstration of the car at standstill, plugged into a rapid charger, pre-heating the battery for rapid charging. But that's a very specific scenario where you don't care much about energy consumption and just want to heat the battery as fast as possible, so of course you'll throw everything at it, hence you see 6 kW resistive heat from the drive units being generated.

But just heating the cabin at a balmy 9.5C ambient won't need anything more than the ambient air source heat pump. In fact that won't be too far off the sweet spot for the air source heat pump (or any air source heat pump worth its salt) - Tesla claim up to 5.6 peak COP, which most probably includes maximum contribution from the other 'free' sources. Even on a cold start/short trip at 10C with no extra sources initially available, the air source heat pump will be something like COP 3-4, so way more efficient than PTC (always effectively COP=1).

So if it's way more efficient than PTC at 10C, even standing still or a short trip, the performance certainly doesn't fall off a cliff anything below 10C and somehow become less efficient than a PTC! Tesla Bjørn did some testing with PTC and heat pump Model 3s at 3C just standing still and maintaining cabin temp. The heat pump car consumed a bit over a third the energy of the PTC car, suggesting a COP almost 3 at 3C, which doesn't sound unreasonable at all.

You'd have to go down way below zero for the air source heat pump circuit COP to get down near 1. Even when it does, it has now reduced to the same efficiency as a PTC system. There is literally no possible situation when it is less efficient than PTC - that's not possible! Even if it's so cold the air source part is useless and it runs entirely on the lossy generation sources it is running at COP=1 and is equivalent to a PTC system.

So, quick summary - at 10C the heat pump is a good few times more efficient than PTC, even cold start/short trips, not consuming 7.5kW as you say. It's never less efficient than PTC! And that is all in line with all the tests and owner feedback I have seen. Amazingly engineered system - the functionality and integration/packaging is incredible - a genuine example of where Tesla really did embarrass the competition, no bs.

Last edited:
I've not read the full thread, nor watched the video, but at the time it came out I was very much under the impression the whole point of the Octovalue thing was to have multiple options in harvesting/cooling and heating of multiple components. It may have an air source option, but it also has others, and taking heat from a hot motor may be a better option than cold air at times, it may be taking heat out of the battery when supercharging, or putting heat into the battery to precondition. It may be heating the cabin, or it may be cooling the cabin

I'm not sure its worth falling out over or side tracking a thread on the highland to talk about a component that is in all Teslas built today.

I've not read the full thread, nor watched the video, but at the time it came out I was very much under the impression the whole point of the Octovalue thing was to have multiple options in harvesting/cooling and heating or multiple components. It may have an air source option, but it also has others, and taking heat from a hot motor may be a better option than cold air at times, it may be taking heat out of the battery when supercharging, or putting heat into the battery to precondition. It may be heating the cabin, or it may be cooling the cabin

Absolutely correct.

I'm not sure its worth falling out over or side tracking a thread on the highland to talk about a component that is in all Teslas built today.

Also correct! :) Claims were made about the heat pump that were so out of whack with my understanding I had to question it and look deeper into it. Glad I got to the bottom of it, helped dispel some incorrect information, watched a very interesting bunch of videos, and now willing to steer back on path! :)

Exactly… there’s no choice … you can’t have a Highland, or any other recent Tesla with a different heating/cooling system. At one time I speculated that the PTC heater might be a bit faster bringing the car to temperature but that was disproved too!

It has been seen in practice that the heat pump cars operate more efficiently. That’s really all we need to know.

Anyway, the system is clearly “state of the art” and well worth the accolades that come Teslas way whenever any serious engineer takes a look at it.

In other news came across something that's a bit old but talk of a different motor for the Model 3 Performance. It won't be a Plaid sadly but it might get a Plaid rear carbon wrapped rotor. The issue is those motors are only made in the US so maybe they are building a line to make them in China but it's not ready yet.

I guess if just one rotor is wrapped it'll lose power at higher speeds from the front but the rear should be stay solid so it'll be an improvement. The Plaid motor though isn't a hairpin design so not quite as efficient. Also wonder if any battery change as the LG battery would be limiting.

So not a tri motor Plaid but still a noticible performance bump.

In other news came across something that's a bit old but talk of a different motor for the Model 3 Performance. It won't be a Plaid sadly but it might get a Plaid rear carbon wrapped rotor. The issue is those motors are only made in the US so maybe they are building a line to make them in China but it's not ready yet.

I guess if just one rotor is wrapped it'll lose power at higher speeds from the front but the rear should be stay solid so it'll be an improvement. The Plaid motor though isn't a hairpin design so not quite as efficient. Also wonder if any battery change as the LG battery would be limiting.

So not a tri motor Plaid but still a noticible performance bump.
I also read somewhere that they’re unlikely to use the plaid motors because of the packaging constraints. They couldn’t make a RHD MS with the motor as they couldn’t fit in the steering rack, and the M3 would have even less room. That said they fit in two at the back. Maybe it’s to do with weight distribution, but whatever, I dare say the usual Twitter suspects will produce a lot of speculation while we wait for the truth

I also read somewhere that they’re unlikely to use the plaid motors because of the packaging constraints. They couldn’t make a RHD MS with the motor as they couldn’t fit in the steering rack, and the M3 would have even less room. That said they fit in two at the back. Maybe it’s to do with weight distribution, but whatever, I dare say the usual Twitter suspects will produce a lot of speculation while we wait for the truth

Has nothing to do with packing constraints in the S for RHD. There is plenty of room for the carbon wrapped motor, which is smaller than the old motor it replaced.

And yes, should they choose, they could put that motor in a 3.

Has nothing to do with packing constraints in the S for RHD. There is plenty of room for the carbon wrapped motor, which is smaller than the old motor it replaced.
Well thats at odds with pretty much everyone including a number of Tesla staff for thinking that. I kind of think people in the RHD markets may have followed the RHD story closer than someone who's not.

One guy even told me that they looked at introducing a MS+ rear wheel drive only version a bit like the the old P85+ but that was ruled out due to the small numbers.