Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So… Highland is out…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
9.5% on the 3!
Yeah exactly. They are just milking the early adopters, it’ll drop I think maybe in 3 - 6 months I suspect.

Lots of EV’s are on lower APR’s at the moment to try to keep sales numbers up. Or they play other tricks like on the Eletre I ordered the guaranteed final value seems really high. I don’t expect it’ll be worth what they are saying after 4 years but it is a way of them discounting the monthly payments without dropping the APR.

Shame nobody gives a sh1t about the loyal customers.
It’s just business.

As an example I had a BMW 335d, M5, M760Li and a Mini Clubman from a BMW dealer in the space of maybe 5 - 6 years. The guy I dealt with left the dealership and when I wanted a BMW M8 Convertible they didn’t seem all that interested in speaking to me. So I don’t buy from them anymore…

Reactions: zoomer0056
It’s just business.

As an example I had a BMW 335d, M5, M760Li and a Mini Clubman from a BMW dealer in the space of maybe 5 - 6 years. The guy I dealt with left the dealership and when I wanted a BMW M8 Convertible they didn’t seem all that interested in speaking to me. So I don’t buy from them anymore…
Agree. But with Musk’s flip-floppping, I’ll order next week and in 4 weeks it will be 0% APR, 5% cheaper and 5000 miles of supercharging 💥

There's nothing bang for buck out there to get you the grin inducing performance of the M3P.

If you're not that attached to that performance then there are options.
With various leaks via the service manual it is suggested there may be a forthcoming ludicrous M3 including sport seats based on the Model S. In other models 'ludicrous' is a step-up in performance so probably worth waiting to see (if wipers, poor matrix lights, vision without sensors, no stalks, screen for gear change, unpredictable software etc etc are all acceptable). However if @Pagemakers needs a car by March it's debatable whether this will be available and almost certainly without any incentives.

Reactions: Roy Batty
I was very close to buy a Volvo instead of a Highland, but ended up with the Highland only because of the following things
  • Efficiency
  • Charging speed
  • Range
  • Charging network
  • Software

Reason for considering a Volvo
  • Customer service (Tesla has none)
  • Build quality
  • Paint that doesn't peel off after just one winter on salted roads
  • Matrix lights that actually works and turns when turning the steering wheel so that it is possible to see what is in the turn at night
  • Comfort

When comparing the updated Model 3 Highland to other vehicles of similar size, such as Volvo, Polestar, Hyundai or Kia,
I wonder how much the trunk access could be a deal breaker?

I was just watching those two videos, of the Model 3 Hiland and the new Toyota Prius
(which have exactly the same length and the same height):

2024-updated-tesla-model-3-rear-trunk .jpg 2024-updated-toyota-prius-rear-trunk .jpg

Note: I noticed that in the new Model 3 Highland, the body-in-white got some modifications. There is still no front or rear casting,
something that would have made easier to build the Model 3 in Germany using the Model Y production line.
But the front firewall and the rear speaker-shelf have been removed from the body in white.
This helps the production line by installing in advance components to the firewall and the speaker-shelf.
However, since the Model 3 trunk don't have a horizontal shelf part of the body, it could be easy converted the Model 3 into a hatchback.

Shame nobody gives a sh1t about the loyal customers.
Why would they? What benefit does it bring them?

Not being funny but when people say this I wonder what relationship they imagine they have with these profit-seeking companies that they think they are somehow indebted to your custom.

You don't get a "loyal customer" discount off of a new iPhone or any other bit of tech really. You tend to only see incentives when these companies are hurting for demand. If Tesla can sell a car 10 times over that they would have sold to you with a discount as a loyal customer, then they have no incentive to offer you that discount in the first place.

Reactions: boombap
Fair enough but they offer said incentives on the S, Y and X
Yeah but that’s because they need to because otherwise demand isn’t high enough right now.

I don’t think Highland will materially improve demand for the Model 3 either beyond an initial 1 or 2 quarter spike. Sadly for you and your timeline it doesn’t seem like you can wait but early adopters often get a raw deal.

I think they’ll go same route, no price discount but a lower APR to reduce the monthly payments.

Reactions: boombap
Why would they? What benefit does it bring them?

Not being funny but when people say this I wonder what relationship they imagine they have with these profit-seeking companies that they think they are somehow indebted to your custom.

You don't get a "loyal customer" discount off of a new iPhone or any other bit of tech really. You tend to only see incentives when these companies are hurting for demand. If Tesla can sell a car 10 times over that they would have sold to you with a discount as a loyal customer, then they have no incentive to offer you that discount in the first place.
Generally speaking a lot of businesses value existing customers because they repeat purchase and become advocates for the brand. Churn of your customer base is often a measure companies talk of

The cost of customer acquisition is typically much higher than retention. Maybe Tesla doesn’t feel that at the moment, although starting to offer transferable FSD and now transferable free supercharging may be a sign that’s changing

Reactions: ACarneiro
but dismissing valid criticism, or pushing false positive views does and trying to sweep value issues under the carpet is negligence.
I do not own Tesla, so just by criticising or pushing imagined false positive view isn’t going to change the presence or absence of stalks!

The problem is, without people reading about issues (with anything), they cannot make an informed decision and the manufacturers won't be embarrassed into doing anything about them. And by the time you have committed to something, it may be too late to change your mind. Its pathetic the stuck record of 'go buy something else then' when the reality is that its not always possible. I tried (ordered an EV6), until pretty much overnight the £ gap to move on changed from 10k to near 30k.
The comment I made was taken out of context - the comment was specific to presence/absence of stalks. I don’t think anyone has bought the car other than paying the £200 deposit. There is not much of personal experience in UK other than few LHD Model S without stalks. Informed decisions are pretty clear here - if you want stalks buy something else or wait for Tesla to provide that as an option. There is nothing wrong in saying that. I guess you want Elon/Tesla to revert their decision of not including stalk and may want them to throw in some apology to British public. I am sorry you may be right about stalks but this is someone else’s decision. You can express your dissatisfaction and then decide what you want to do with that.

My personal view of Tesla and their cars now is very different to the one that I thought that I was buying into 6+ years ago and had blindly idolised prior to that. As they say, don't meet your hero.
People change their views over time whether it is about a car or relationship or their partner, or any other material stuff. I guess that is considered ‘normal’.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrBadger
With regards to the indicator buttons, lack of stalks, and UK roundabouts - I saw this last night.
With the highland model 3 Tesla has increased the steering ratio so now compared to the "old/current" model 3, you need to turn the wheel even further in roundabouts which will compound the indicator issue - for those of you trying to mimic and trying to visualise what the stalkless indicator would be like.

You can't make this stuff up.

Tesla has adjusted the ratio, moving from 10.3:1 to 10.6:1, requiring the driver to use more steering input for the same turn.