Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So… Highland is out…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Poor numbers for this quarter, and they will only get worse when the refreshed Y is released to further alienate people.
You're adding 2 + 2 and getting 5. Pretty poor effort from a software engineer... This "demand issue" isn't Tesla specific let alone to do with the refreshed Model 3. People are really struggling in the current economic environment and interest rates make leasing relatively unattractive. And that's the only route for many to have their new car. It was widely reprted that BYD outsold Tesla in EVs during Q4 2023. But they took more of a hit than Tesla for Q1 2024 if you look at EV sales and delivered fewer than Tesla.

Looking on Tesla’s website. The APR of the Model 3 in UK has gone up on a PCP and Model Y is less than 2%. I’m thinking their big issue at the moment is shifting the Model Y which is where most of their production is to be fair.
Wow. Ordered just in time when it was 9% (even that was terrible)! Oddly thought my Black Horse paperwork shows 8.5%

Reactions: FastLaneJB
You're adding 2 + 2 and getting 5. Pretty poor effort from a software engineer... This "demand issue" isn't Tesla specific let alone to do with the refreshed Model 3. People are really struggling in the current economic environment and interest rates make leasing relatively unattractive. And that's the only route for many to have their new car. It was widely reprted that BYD outsold Tesla in EVs during Q4 2023. But they took more of a hit than Tesla for Q1 2024 if you look at EV sales and delivered fewer than Tesla.
Yup.

Slow ramp of new 3 in Fremont and the unplanned shutdown of Berlin due to arson attack account for nearly all of the production slump and a good chunk of the delivery miss, which was further contributed to by ships from Shanghai going the long way round Africa causing further delivery delays of up to a quarter judging by posts on this site, and that’s before you add on the seasonal Q1 weakness compounded by interest rates.

Interesting to see BYD down 43% QoQ when they had been flagged as the cause of Tesla’s latest “demand problem” - 2024 still looks likely to be flat YoY on 2023 sales which would mean a slight reduction in existing models likely made up by Cybertruck. However if interest rates get cut anywhere in 2nd half then all bets are off and plausibly could even trend toward a YoY beat. Q2 will paint a much better picture assuming no/few disasters.

I can accept the slow ramp and factory closures hitting production but they’re still making a lot more cars than they’re selling. 50k more this quarter, last year it was +18k, +15k, -5k and +10k so already 12k more this year to date than the excess in the whole of last year - you could argue it’s just as well there were some production issues.

You can also argue that the MY really needs the facelift to reinvigorate it.

Either way, if it’s just the one quarter it’s a blip, if it’s 2 quarters it’s a trend. if it’s 3 quarters below last year it will be getting painful for them.

Reactions: MD70
I mean I don't know how much weight it will hold in the UK but there's been a few articles floating around in the US saying that people are actively avoiding Tesla's due to Musk.

The comments section on reddit was filled with thousands of people claiming the reason they wouldn't buy a tesla is cause of him alone.

I do feel like they may have just saturated whatever EV market they can, they've sold a lot of vehicles over the past couple of years, and EV's are still expensive for every day cars.

Don't forget the huge depreciation we've seen on EV's as well, which will put people off.

I can accept the slow ramp and factory closures hitting production but they’re still making a lot more cars than they’re selling. 50k more this quarter, last year it was +18k, +15k, -5k and +10k so already 12k more this year to date than the excess in the whole of last year - you could argue it’s just as well there were some production issues.

You can also argue that the MY really needs the facelift to reinvigorate it.

Either way, if it’s just the one quarter it’s a blip, if it’s 2 quarters it’s a trend. if it’s 3 quarters below last year it will be getting painful for them.
Yeah I mean maybe it’s just hard to revamp two cars at around the same time as they might not have enough people to do that. However the moment the Highland hit, the Model Y is far less desirable. If you need the space or want the low APR then sure but the new 3 brings a lot to the table (Other than stalks).

Last edited:
Yeah I mean maybe it’s just hard to revamp two cars at around the same time as they might not have enough people to do that. However the moment the Highland hit, the Model Y is far less desirable. If you need the space or want the low APR then sure but the new 3 brings a lot to the table (Other than stalks).
The botched and much delayed Model X refresh proved that to be very true.

One at a time minimises the damage from throughput challenges as you ramp the new stuff even if it does create a bit of an Osbourne effect for the sister car on the same platform. Arguably they’d be better differentiating each model a bit more at this point to avoid the same thing in future but then you lose some of the economies of scale of the platform sharing, though less of a problem today vs when they were at low volumes.

Reactions: FastLaneJB