Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So: 2020 MY or 2016 MX at the same price?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a Model Y on order for about $54,000. I just saw an ad for a local Model X with 56,000 miles for about the same price. The X is loaded and sold for $119,000 four years ago. Should I dump the Y order and go for the X??
I looked up the X you’re considering. It looks very nice. I get a little nervous about Tesla’s for sale from used car dealers though. It’s not Tesla certified AND you can’t talk to the previous owner and get a feeling for their charging habits.

All things being equal I might go for the X. Unfortunately the falcon wing doors are a hard pass for my wife.

I've got a Model Y on order for about $54,000. I just saw an ad for a local Model X with 56,000 miles for about the same price. The X is loaded and sold for $119,000 four years ago. Should I dump the Y order and go for the X??

No warranty, range is likely at 250 miles, and old computer HW vs new battery with 316 mile range, 5 yr 50K mile warranty, and latest HW.

Hands-down get the Y!

You should really take an X and Y for a test drive.

It’s a bit of crap shoot with an older X.

Personally, I’d wait for a Used Raven X within your price range. I had a 3 and traded for an X and would never get a Y. And I didn't need the space.

That X will have vastly slower charging, less range and a much slower touchscreen computer. On top of that, its old enough to potentially cost you quite a bit more in repairs even over the next 3 years.

On the positive side, its bigger, so if you really need the size it may still be worth it to you.
This. Tesla is already starting to kill the old technology in the model S by crippling range and charging speeds. It’s coming soon to the newer S/X.

Battery day will see an update for both of these models and now is not the best time to invest in S/X tech.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I like to speak with the former owner on any used car purchases. Often their name is in the car or I ask the dealership. I also like to see the service records. This was easier in the past.

My 2016 90D was a joy, but I didn’t buy it at lease end because of fear of missing out, FOMO. I really miss having an electric car.

The Y will have the latest technology. I’d only buy the X for the size and the nicer ride.