Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So is HW2.0 to HW3 finally going to be available later this month?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

azred

Apr 12, 2016
Chandler, AZ
Tesla’s MCU infotainment upgrade support page clearly says those with FSD who buy the upgrade will get HW3 at same time and also says 2.0 with FSD will be invited to the MCU upgrade party in late March. I realize there are about a dozen threads on the MCU announcement but I haven’t found any posts addressing my question, so be kind, or don’t be kind, but please reply if you know. Reading any more posts on the MCU upgrade offer to seek an answer will cause my head to explode.

Last edited:
The answer is here.

Tesla will start upgrading MCU1/AP2.0 or AP2.5 vehicles (built before April 2018) starting in early April.

The $2500 infotainment upgrade appears to provide the same FSD functionality present in current vehicles, but isn't required to get the FSD computer upgrade.

And for those of us who actually use the radio (particularly FM/HD-radio/XM), we have the choice of losing the radio or getting full FSD feature support.

The answer is here.

Tesla will start upgrading MCU1/AP2.0 or AP2.5 vehicles (built before April 2018) starting in early April.

The $2500 infotainment upgrade appears to provide the same FSD functionality present in current vehicles, but isn't required to get the FSD computer upgrade.

And for those of us who actually use the radio (particularly FM/HD-radio/XM), we have the choice of losing the radio or getting full FSD feature support.
Um, ok, but hopefully someone will respond to my question. As per my original post, I already had read that Tesla Infotainment support page (although oddly I can’t find it by searching on Tesla’s Support website so I wonder if the Infotainment Upgrade page has been removed from Tesla.com and we are all just viewing an old buffered page that is visible in Google).

Given all of the heated posts on the likelihood of 2.0 to 3 upgrade in the past two years, I was surprised I couldn’t find one post yesterday celebrating this event. I realize the forcus was on MCU so maybe it was largely missed that we should get 2.0 to 3 upgrade if we have FSD starting this month. That’s a big deal to me but crickets to this board.

Um, ok, but hopefully someone will respond to my question. As per my original post, I already had read that Tesla Infotainment support page (although oddly I can’t find it by searching on Tesla’s Support website so I wonder if the Infotainment Upgrade page has been removed from Tesla.com and we are all just viewing an old buffered page that is visible in Google).

Given all of the heated posts on the likelihood of 2.0 to 3 upgrade in the past two years, I was surprised I couldn’t find one post yesterday celebrating this event. I realize the forcus was on MCU so maybe it was largely missed that we should get 2.0 to 3 upgrade if we have FSD starting this month. That’s a big deal to me but crickets to this board.

click on bob’s link- it’s the FSD computer upgrade page, not the infotainment page. Short answer, yes, HW 2.0-3.0 upgrade coming in early April

click on bob’s link- it’s the FSD computer upgrade page, not the infotainment page. Short answer, yes, HW 2.0-3.0 upgrade coming in early April
Thanks. Odd that the MCU upgrade page says they will schedule 2.0 FSD cars for HW3 upgrade — plus upgrade to HW3 at same visits for all MCU upgrades — in late March, yet the other page linked by Bob says 2.0 to 3 upgrade will be April. But if both are done even within three or four months I will be happy...and surprised!

Thanks. Odd that the MCU upgrade page says they will schedule 2.0 FSD cars for HW3 upgrade late March, yet the other page says 2.0 to 3 upgrade will be April. Seems hard to believe they would schedule me in late March for one, then schedule again a month later for the other. But if both are done even within three or four months I will be happy...and surprised!

Also from infotainment page: "Owners with Full Self-Driving Capability will receive early access to the Infotainment Upgrade and a complimentary upgrade to the Full Self-Driving Computer during their appointment."

Seems to me if you want to pay for the MCU upgrade when available (i do!), you go to the front of the line for the FSD upgrade as well and they do it at the same time. Makes sense, since you're paying for the labor.

Reactions: Gt1948
They seem to have changed the date since yesterday. When i looked yesterday they stated "late March" for us 2.0 upgraders. Now it's "early April". I suspect they will be crowded with updates so it will be hard to get a time even when we get the invite. I'm practicing patience.

Reactions: captjoemcd
Without the infotainment upgrade, upgrading to the FSD computer now for MCU1 vehicles will not provide any new features - since the only feature requiring MCU2 now is the visualization upgrades (traffic lights, stop signs, traffic cones, intersection lines).

So it would make sense to first upgrade vehicles that will be getting the MCU2 upgrade - since MCU1/FSD vehicles won't see any difference right now with the new FSD computer.

For those of us who use the radio (live news/sports), unless we have the ability to also upgrade to the MCU2 radio, we'll likely pass on the infotainment upgrade and get delayed for our FSD computer upgrade.

Reactions: markn455
Since when is someone who paid for FSD and has been waiting 3 years not a paying customer? Last come first served is not a good customer service policy.

Everyone we’re talking about has paid for FSD, we’re just talking about timing. MCU upgrade availability (I’d imagine they’re losing money on the overall engineering effort) and new FSD computers for all models is something that no other carmaker has ever done and is specifically against most automakers’ plans (planned obsolescence anyone?). Feel free to keep bitching about them, some people are never happy. I’m thrilled to give them another $2500 for a new MCU and FSD computer and go to the head of the line.

Says scheduling now for my Tesla.

Attachments

• E8E03231-623D-42A6-9A9F-F229BE3BF6B5.jpeg
    E8E03231-623D-42A6-9A9F-F229BE3BF6B5.jpeg
    223.4 KB · Views: 89
I agree. I bought a 2016 model with FSD. I was expecting the HW3 upgrade but I was _not_ expecting to get MCU1 updated. MCU1 has acceptable performance but is _slow_ compared to newer cars. I plan to keep that car for a long time to upgrade the MCU is easily worth it to me. With the update, my car is 97% of the > March 2018 cars, and I actually slightly prefer the NextGen seats in my model (snugger).

And from what I learned the cameras are basically the same with only a filter difference. I could see a green filter working better in some circumstances but I doubt it will matter. Same for the radar as the newer radar only seem to have 10m extra range (and perhaps better resolution?).

• Informative
Reactions: captjoemcd
Since when is someone who paid for FSD and has been waiting 3 years not a paying customer? Last come first served is not a good customer service policy.
You are right. If it cost Tesla 10 thousand dollars to up Grade my car to FSD, they made the deal and they should do it oldest first. I too, have been waiting and bitching for three years and now my car is scheduled for the FW3 upgrade by mobile service, June 4. I am not confident that they will do anything until I see the results. I don’t know if the MCU. Will be updated but I have paid all I intend to pay and it is up to them to make it work.

Still waiting to hear from Tesla on my HW 3.0 computer upgrade. My Apr '17 Model S has the MCU1 and was actually replaced once under warranty. I was pricing out a new Model S and the prices have come down quite a bit considering the technology and range improvements. I asked for a trade-in valuation on my S and Tesla low balled me as they have a tendency to do. The fact that they will be spending a few thousand dollars to upgrade my computer in what I hope to be a few months had no impact them or the trade in price. My car is out of warranty with 69,000 miles and has been relatively reliable except for a few appearance items going out (halos around front lights, etc..) which are not worth fixing since they don't have a real fix outside of replacing the unreliable parts and cost $2500 a side. Anyway, just thought I'd share and will continue to monitor this thread.