Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So is wind noise really an issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have read a fair amount on TMC and also seen too many YouTube reviewers that have commented about the noise in the M3, particularly the wind noise vs the S and Bolt.

Is this an issue with the newer builds? Has Tesla managed to reduce the apparent cabin noise with some hardware fixes/tweaks?

Thanks!

I really haven’t noticed any excessive wind noise myself when traveling at highway speeds. My previous car (Mustang) was pretty loud and I always drive with the music at a decent volume level so perhaps I just don’t notice it as much as some others would. The real test would be to have several Model 3 owners use a decibel meter app on their phone and record the cabin noise at various highway speeds.

^ This. That's my take from a rental I had a couple of months ago. I took the car up and down I-280 here in the Bay Area and noted that it seemed as loud as my 18 year old BMW 3-series. If that's truly the case, then I'm fine with it too.

Trying to compare it to cars I know well... my Fisker is a bit loud at highway speeds and reasonably rough roads especially compared to my parents' Lexus ES which is noticeably quieter (e.g. you can have a conversation with each other without feeling like you're yelling). I can't remember the last time I was in an S at highway speeds so I'm not sure if its more like my Fisker or more like the Lexus in loudness/noise.

Decided to get measurements with the service loaner Model S vs my Model 3, for those who care. The Model S had a whopping 108 miles more than my 3 when I turned it back in compared to when I got home.

All measurements taken using "Decibel X" version 6.1.0 on iPhone X running iOS 11.2.5

Moving samples were captured on the same general stretch of road, with the phone directly in front of the steering wheel airbag but not touching.

The idle measurements are taken in my office parking lot with minimal nearby traffic, but not completely silent. I didn't think to capture the S in my garage with the door closed, which would have been ideal.

Model S - December 2017 build, 19" wheels:

0mph, fan off, 30 seconds: avg 49.6dB, max 51.8dB
0mph, fan set to 3, 30 seconds: avg 68.4dB, max 68.6dB

65mph, fan off, on smooth surface, 10 seconds: avg 84.0dB, max 87.4dB

Model 3 - January 2017 build, 18" wheels:

0mph, fan off, 30 seconds: avg 51.2dB, max 52.6dB
0mph, fan set to 3, 30 seconds: avg 56.9dB, 58.5dB

65mph, fan off, on smooth surface, 10 seconds: avg 82.8dB, max 85.0dB

The noise depends on where you are seated.
S and 3 are comparable if you are to sit in the front seats, S is tad quieter.
I've only sat in the Rear of an S on highway speeds and that noise is very noticeable. I have gotten feedback that the rear cabin noise in the S is louder than the 3.

I really haven’t noticed any excessive wind noise myself when traveling at highway speeds. My previous car (Mustang) was pretty loud and I always drive with the music at a decent volume level so perhaps I just don’t notice it as much as some others would. The real test would be to have several Model 3 owners use a decibel meter app on their phone and record the cabin noise at various highway speeds.
I tested with a DB meter app on my iPhone and found the 3 to be within 1 DB of the S at 65. So mine is quite quiet at 63 db with the S just a little quieter at 62. About the same as a normal conversation at home.

Just ran a test on my phone between my S and 3. Here are the results:

Road noise test (30mph)
Model S: 48dB
Model 3: 50dB

Wind noise test (70mph)
Model S: 54dB
Model 3: 57dB

Calm night - no wind. No traffic either. Road noise test lasted around 3min 30sec each. The numbers posted are the average for that duration. Wind noise test last around 1min 45sec.

Car details:
2014 Model S 85 Michelin Primacy all seasons (stock)
2018 Model 3 18" Aero stock tire, Feb 2018 build.

I consider both of my cars quieter than stuff I've driven in the past. Model 3 is a tad noisier than S according to the phone, but to my ears the difference is really minimal.

Last edited:
Have read a fair amount on TMC and also seen too many YouTube reviewers that have commented about the noise in the M3, particularly the wind noise vs the S and Bolt.

Is this an issue with the newer builds? Has Tesla managed to reduce the apparent cabin noise with some hardware fixes/tweaks?

Thanks!
I do not notice any abnormal wind noise , the car has more road noise than my MS, but the car costs half what my MS did when it was new, so I would not expect it to be as quiet. but probably close to most other small sedans.

Road noise test (30mph)

Wind noise test (70mph)

Calm night - no wind. No traffic either. Road noise test lasted around 3min 30sec each. The numbers posted are the average for that duration. Wind noise test last around 1min 45sec.

Car details:
2018 Model 3 Feb 18" Aero stock tire, Feb 2018 build.

I consider both of my cars quieter than stuff I've driven in the past. Model 3 is a tad noisier than S according to the phone, but to my ears the difference is really minimal.
Thanks - very helpful!

Initially, it was hard to measure road noise (because of the squealing noise coming from the back seat).
But the 3, compared to the S is pretty close in that you can have a conversation using normal speaking levels even at highway speeds.

One of the first things we noticed in our S

Road noise test (30mph)

Wind noise test (70mph)

Car details:
2018 Model 3 18" Aero stock tire, Feb 2018 build.

What did you use to measure? dB or dB(A) or dB(C)?
I did a quick test in my 2014 P85D with 22" rims PSS tires. New in rear, almost fully worn in front. 30 mph, 58-60 dbA, 70mph, 68 to 73 dbA.