Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So That's Where They Hid the Model 3 Subwoofer...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is great, glad I found it! I am planning to do a full audiophile upgrade to the Model 3 as a way to prototype a high-end subwoofer enclosure product that goes under the trunk floor. Based on this site, it seems like there would be interest for some seriously high-end audio equipment in the Tesla cars. Updates to come over the next year.

This is great, glad I found it! I am planning to do a full audiophile upgrade to the Model 3 as a way to prototype a high-end subwoofer enclosure product that goes under the trunk floor. Based on this site, it seems like there would be interest for some seriously high-end audio equipment in the Tesla cars. Updates to come over the next year.

You are familiar with Reus Systems?

thinking of ordering a Rockford P3SD48 P3 8" with dual voice coil @ 4 ohm to replace the stock sub and run it off the stock amp

any thoughts?

• 8" shallow subwoofer with dual 4-ohm voice coils
  • anodized aluminum cone with M-Roll Santoprene™ surround
  • power range: 50-150 watts RMS (75 watts per voice coil)
  • peak power handling: 300 watts
  • frequency response: 38-250 Hz
  • sensitivity: 82 dB
  • top-mount depth: 2-5/8"
  • sealed box volume: .20-.70 cubic feet
  • ported box volume: .75 cubic feet

I think that it is probably very well matched to the rest of the car and only produces extremly low sub-frequencies with the normal low bass down to about 60hz or so probably comes from the door speakers.
Doubt you will add much to the system by replacing it with a custom 150W RMS sub.

If you are after superlowend rumble you are just not gonna get it with 150 watt RMS in a sedan trunk, especially not with road noise. Impossible. 150 watt RMS is laughable for subbass. The closest I ever got was with my old E46 compact which had a 200W RMS sub under each seat. The small cabinet nature meant It would roll off at 45hz or so but you got decent rumble via vibration under the seat down to that frequency which made it sound a lot more powerful than it actually was. It also had a lot less issues with room modes/frequency cancelation which is a huge issue in sedan trunks.

Last edited:
Curious to some solutions as well....Not very impressed by the sound system, especially bass. Coming from a 2011 Toyota Tacoma JBL Sound system (which also has a sub behind the rear seats), which is amazing compared to the Model 3 system....
Sedans very rarely sound as loud as trucks/vans/hatchbacks/suvs with the same size equipment. Especially if you still want to be able to use your trunk.

Curious to some solutions as well....Not very impressed by the sound system, especially bass. Coming from a 2011 Toyota Tacoma JBL Sound system (which also has a sub behind the rear seats), which is amazing compared to the Model 3 system....

I know what you mean, but I’m referring to quality of should too. Again, definitely and audiophile type of criticism.

I very much doubt that a 2011 Toyota with a JBL sound system will have a higher quality sound system than the premium model 3.

Anyway, you cannot compare a pickup truck to a sedan. People completely underestimate the issues a sedan causes with bass frequencies. I actually think Tesla would have possibly gotten a better sound with infrarumblers under all seats and then shallow mounted subwoofers in the cabin. Perhaps in the middle of the front of the car where the driveshaft normally goes.

I very much doubt that a 2011 Toyota with a JBL sound system will have a higher quality sound system than the premium model 3.

Anyway, you cannot compare a pickup truck to a sedan. People completely underestimate the issues a sedan causes with bass frequencies. I actually think Tesla would have possibly gotten a better sound with infrarumblers under all seats and then shallow mounted subwoofers in the cabin. Perhaps in the middle of the front of the car where the driveshaft normally goes.
Is what it is...I’ve driven that truck EVERYDAY for 8 years, 3 hours a day.....and just switched to the M3 for a week. Not trolling, just my experience.

I used to geek out on custom sound systems in my first few cars too, the Toyota Tacoma JBL system was the first system I didn’t touch/upgrade because it was pretty good. Now I appreciate it even more haha.

I Don’t have much experience in other comparable “sedans” to the M3 with “premium” sound systems to experience if it truly is a huge disadvantage compared to trucks/suvs. You guys may be right....But still, wish it was more of a wow than a “meh”, just my opinion. Love the car either way....

Is what it is...I’ve driven that truck EVERYDAY for 8 years, 3 hours a day.....and just switched to the M3 for a week. Not trolling, just my experience.

I used to geek out on custom sound systems in my first few cars too, the Toyota Tacoma JBL system was the first system I didn’t touch/upgrade because it was pretty good. Now I appreciate it even more haha.

I Don’t have much experience in other comparable “sedans” to the M3 with “premium” sound systems to experience if it truly is a huge disadvantage compared to trucks/suvs. You guys may be right....But still, wish it was more of a wow than a “meh”, just my opinion. Love the car either way....
It is hard to get good sound in a sedan, especially if the sub is in the trunk. It tends to pull the low frequencies (effectively the whole sound stage) to the back with any volume. There are a couple of luxury sedans that actually have the subs up front which help prevent localization of lower frequencies when applying volume.

That isn't to say it isn't possible, you end up having to use a ton of sound reading material to stiffen all the metal that would vibrate.

To be honest, I hadn't thought a whole lot about upping the sub bass in the car yet. I am kind of hoping someone else adds a high power amp and speakers first, lol.

Reus doesn’t currently make a product for model 3, and there’s certainly room for more than one product anyway.

I wish more people were digging into the sound system. I want to know exactly what it’s made of, but don’t have the free time anymore.

Looks like they made one at least? This guy got the first one done on his as a prototype. Looks pretty clean...
Reus audio upgrade for Model 3

But yeah, wondering if there is a mid step upgrade without going over $3k haha...

Reactions: flashflooder

+1

I will be doing a 3-way front stage with ScanSpeak drivers and a JL 12W7 in a fiberglass enclosure in the hidden trunk compartment. The 8" sub is in a good spot (nice and tucked away) for those wanting to add 25-60hz low end to compliment with a 12" in the hidden compartment.

I'm hoping to use all of the same components from the system in my STI (Mosconi, JL, Scan) integrated with the factory HU. Well, if you can call it a HU, that is.

Anyway, I know it can be done in the S and made to look stock, but we'll see how it goes in the 3. I may elect to keep some of the OEM components and/or wiring depending on the manufacture quality... but I doubt they're on the level of Scanspeak/Mosconi.

Anyone know who manufactures the OEM sub?

It is hard to get good sound in a sedan, especially if the sub is in the trunk... It tends to pull the low frequencies (effectively the whole sound stage) to the back with any volume.

Easily addressable with a good DSP with time alignment ;).

Edit: PS - DIYMA is a great resource for anyone looking to venture into the world of audiophile auto sound.

Last edited:
I'm actually pretty underwhelmed by the bass as well. The $200 powered self-contained 10" subwoofer I stuck in my FR-S put out a lot more thump.

It's very impressive for a stock system, but it's no match for any kind of aftermarket, dedicated sub woofer. I think the stock sub is only getting 50-80W RMS, and it's only 8" at best (one person reported it being 6", I haven't checked personally).

Great news - I figured this out and installed a 12" subwoofer running off the M3 amp. Turns out there are actually 4 wires going into the 8" sub, not 3. Those 4 wires are because it's a dual coil subwoofer running 2 x 80w at 4ohms. This matched the MTX 12" sub with box I had in the garage.

The colors going out of the amp to the sub were different than the ones inside the sub enclosure.
They were:
From Amp:

Green, Red, Purple, Brown
And were changed to

Green, Black, Red, Blue

Green to green (pos)
Red to Blue (neg)
Purple to Red (pos)
Brown to Black (neg)

Rather than removing the sub and creating all kinds of drama, I just disconnected the connections to the speaker itself and ran extensions from the sub enclosure to my speaker box.

I think that the sub is running off a series to the door speakers because there's a sound change for sure. As time allows I'll update. For now, I have substantially more bass and the sub hits well. Not as well as having it's own dedicated higher wattage amp, but I like to keep my teeth in these days anyways.

Hope that helps!
j
So is this what the wiring is doing, converting 2 ohm amp output into dual 4 ohm stock speaker? My box is already setup for 2 ohm, should I just go direct from amp?
1-dvc-4-ohm-sub-wired-to-2ohm-e1485223197772.png