Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So What Do We Think Of The Polestar 2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I pre-ordered one of these 18 months ago, then cancelled it and bought a Model 3. Reasons: had to wait another year, had the M3 since August. Plus, the styling is nice and such but it does look like an ICE design that's been switched to an EV. In fact, this goes for pretty much every other EV you see... they still have a big bonnet and a grill, or filled in grill. Tesla seem to make the only cars proportioned as a EV... I like that small front end this-is-the-future look.

You have to call them. They took it off the other day apparently, due to some error on the site or something.

I can send you the quote they sent me if you want. - I’m going with the Tesla nonetheless as it looks like Yorkshire lease have done a good deal.

I'd be interested in the quote you got if you don't mind. Is this a business lease or a personal one, I did see Yorkshise Fleet mentioned a few times but thought they dealt exclusively in business leases.

Tesla has a huge advantage over electric cars from other manufacturers, and it is not styling or battery improvements or autonomous driving. Tesla has and continues to expand a charging infrastructure that no other manufacturer can match. At least in the US, it doesn’t appear that anyone is even trying very hard to create this. Without a widely distributed charging infrastructure, an EV is just a city car, and so too limited for widespread adoption. Elon was very perceptive to understand that early, and so Tesla has a huge lead over other competitors. Not sure how Audi or Ford or Polestar or Rivian will fix that problem. I think it would be a huge mistake for Tesla to license out use of superchargers to other manufacturer’s cars. There are going to be way too many 3s and Ys very soon anyway. Need to expand what Tesla has quickly.

Tesla has a huge advantage over electric cars from other manufacturers, and it is not styling or battery improvements or autonomous driving. Tesla has and continues to expand a charging infrastructure that no other manufacturer can match. At least in the US, it doesn’t appear that anyone is even trying very hard to create this. Without a widely distributed charging infrastructure, an EV is just a city car, and so too limited for widespread adoption. Elon was very perceptive to understand that early, and so Tesla has a huge lead over other competitors. Not sure how Audi or Ford or Polestar or Rivian will fix that problem. I think it would be a huge mistake for Tesla to license out use of superchargers to other manufacturer’s cars. There are going to be way too many 3s and Ys very soon anyway. Need to expand what Tesla has quickly.
I agree it's an issue but probably less of one in the UK than then US. We are a very small densely populated country so many people could own an electric car and never need to Rapid charge. I also think the number of non Tesla Rapid chargers is increasing very Fast. The Govt if firmly backing EV's so people see investing in the chargers as worthwhile they seem to be going up everywhere right now.
EV's are massively political in the US with the oil interests fighting them at every turn. We are lucky that we don't have that issue. The only real opposition to EV's I see in this country seems to be From Daily Mail/Express/Telegraph commenters..

>>Android? You mean those phones that shamelessly copied the iPhone and now have a 75% market share? that Android?<<

iPhone? Apple? The company that shamelessly copied the Android? You mean that company that shamelessly copied the Xerox
PARC mouse? <g>

Reactions: Beady3647
I agree it's an issue but probably less of one in the UK than then US. We are a very small densely populated country so many people could own an electric car and never need to Rapid charge. I also think the number of non Tesla Rapid chargers is increasing very Fast. The Govt if firmly backing EV's so people see investing in the chargers as worthwhile they seem to be going up everywhere right now.
EV's are massively political in the US with the oil interests fighting them at every turn. We are lucky that we don't have that issue. The only real opposition to EV's I see in this country seems to be From Daily Mail/Express/Telegraph commenters..

In Australia Tesla has a big problem in some ways: huge country, small population and very few supercharger stations. You can run from Brisbane down the East coast through NSW to Melbourne - there's a station every few hundred miles (though if one's out of action you are right royal screwed), but apart from a couple from there to Adelaide and one in Perth there's nothing. Of course there are a few destination chargers and ex-Tesla ones in many places but for road trips they are next to useless unless you can overnight there.
The ROTW looks at the US with envy charger-wise (if not politically....) but to get EVs past the tipping point supercharger installation needs to be very significantly ramped up and it takes quite a leap of faith to do that when in millions of square miles few will be using them. Chicken/egg.

I've followed a thread about the Polestar on Pistonheads, which is generally very anti Tesla and whose forum typically attracts a large proportion of the Internet's tossers and motoring bores.

And a lot of people have a lot to say about the Polestar, the Tesla and EVs in general.

What no one has touched on is that we actually know very little about the Polestar. It looks great, I'm sure it will be great and, in all honesty, it was only Tesla's Supercharger network that finally won me over.

But one advantage for Tesla, from the perspective of a potential owner, are the current owners. There are hundreds of thousands of cars out there, and a huge number of owners that are happy to share information. This arms us with essential technical information with regards to battery degradation etc. These things are so important when it comes to EV ownership, and are often overlooked by those that otherwise have so much to say - and is information that we just don't have about the Polestar.

I'm sure all of those who are gushing over the interior quality of the Polestar (and seem desperate for Tesla to fail), will feel very silly if the car proves to be horrendously unreliable or has batteries that die after 10 minutes.

(My point here isn't to bash the Polestar, I like the look of it a lot and could have been a potential customer - merely to point out that, when it comes to long term EV ownership, that there is a lot more to consider than a lot of the blowhards give credit for!)

I was going to post something similar in the Pistonheads thread, but couldn't be bothered with the inevitable bullshit that would arrive in response.

Last edited:
I’m sure its way ahead on build quality\quality control ...
Indeed this is the area that could cause Tesla to lose their lead. My girl needed a 700 mile car for her job, so she ended up with a “cheap” Merc. The quality and design of the interior is miles better than that of our Teslas, and it’s dead quiet inside given the sporty ride. And they put the reversing camera under the badge which only pops open while reversing - no need to wipe them out every two minutes! In many ways is a better designed car, though Tesla’s are undoubtedly better gadgets.

By the same token you don’t exactly get unbiased opinions on a Tesla forum . . . . .

You're right, and you get it with anything. The issue is when opinion is presented as fact.

People also often cite a Tesla owner's positive opinion of their car is because they own a Tesla, and completely overlook the potential that someone may have chosen to buy a specific car with their own money BECAUSE of their opinion of it.

Last edited: