Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So What Do We Think Of The Polestar 2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't seen any reviews say the handling is better.

Better
As for handling, here again it is slightly better than the Model 3. Despite the Polestar's weight you will be hard-pressed to endure any body roll thanks to excellent suspension aided by the EV advantage of having all the battery heft low down in the floor of the car.
Polestar 2 review: the best EV there is right now | WIRED UK

Push harder and the Polestar feels balanced and considered. Unlike the Tesla Model 3 (particularly in Performance spec), the Polestar 2 feels like a more in-depth interpretation of how to make an electric car feel dynamic and capable down a challenging road. That’s because it doesn’t seem to rely on a speedy steering rack or sticky tyre profile to ‘feel’ sporty, rather it relies on an inherent balance that’s surprising considering the Polestar’s XC40-derived chassis.
https://www.evo.co.uk/polestar/202867/polestar-2-performance-pack-review-ride-and-handling

Different
The 2 handles like a properly developed car, not a straight-line dragster that’s wayward in its responses. Better than a Model S? Certainly. Better than a Model 3? Different, as the car sits a little higher, but it’s bloody close.
Polestar 2

It feels more planted and grown-up than the hyper-pointy Tesla Model 3 rival.
Polestar 2 electric car review: we drive the Tesla Model 3 rival in the UK

Sorry to press you on the powered charge flap thing, but what exactly about it being powered makes it a quality of life improvement? I genuinely want to understand.

I've had ICE cars that pop the flap open on a button. My current car opens the flap on a push. Neither approach keeps me awake at night.

No idea. From what I understand it comes down to 4 factors.

1) residuals
2) car cost
3) discount
4) interest rate.

for Tesla I understand because they’ve shifted so many the residuals aren’t great as there are a lot due to come to the market shortly from old leases which has pushed this down. They also don’t offer discount so the lease companies have limited flexibility.

the only thing I can figure is Polestar’s is new so the residuals are higher as it’s unknown and they might be offering lease discounts for shifting them.
I've been assuming/hoping M3 residuals will be good. Assumed there will be strong demand for used one. So few available so far though there is no way to tell. Other Teslas have always been quite good I thought?

I looked at this, I wasn’t convinced it has that much as standard beyond a regular car.

It’s nice enough but the more I look at it, the less I like it. It’s a little boxy, a bit heavy and the interior whilst solid isn’t mind blowing.

That being said the cheap lease deals are alright and will be attractive.

Agreed, all those features I listed are in my 2017 Audi A4 however I had to spec and pay for them when I ordered it. Before I started looking at EVs seriously I was going to get a new A3 as the new interior is far better than the awful outgoing one, and even now many of the features I take for granted are either still optional extras or like the 360 cameras restricted to the top spec model (which is diesel only). On the 2020 Audi A4 most of these features are still optional extras.

As in my head I'm only comparing between the M3 LR and Polestar 2 the Polestar certainly feels like a more comfortable stepping stone away from my A4 to the EV world than the radical change of the M3.

A cheaper lease deal would probably be the clincher for me though.

Sorry to press you on the powered charge flap thing, but what exactly about it being powered makes it a quality of life improvement? I genuinely want to understand.

I've had ICE cars that pop the flap open on a button. My current car opens the flap on a push. Neither approach keeps me awake at night.

It's simply nice, when you've got a charging cable in your hand, not having to open the flap and close it yourself. Especially if you're laden with shopping or other things at the same time. It's especially convenient if coupled with a Tesla destination charger, home charging unit or Supercharger. Because you can control the flap using a button on the charger. It is lovely being able to rock up to a Supercharger, grab the cable from it, push a button on the cable and have the flap open. Then when you're done, push the button on the charging cable, unplug and hook it back up.

Compare that with the alternative which usually involves a contactless payment (if you're lucky), or opening up an app (if you're not). Opening the charge flap and plugging in. Sometimes pressing a button on the charging unit to initiate the charge. Then undergoing the process in reverse to end the session. It's just a hassle and even more in the current environment, when you want to minimise uneccesary touching of things. I was able to operate a Supercharger recently by just using one hand to touch the cable. And get some alcohol hand gel out of a bottle with the other. If the charge flap needed to be operated manually it would still be possible. Just an extra thing to touch (twice) - no big deal as it's my own car, but again just nice not having to. Like many people who enjoy Teslas I like the simplicity of the whole ecosystem and the user-friendly nature. It's something many come to quickly appreciate when they actually own a Tesla and especially if they've experienced the alternatives.

Last edited:
Reactions: roadcred
I've been assuming/hoping M3 residuals will be good. Assumed there will be strong demand for used one. So few available so far though there is no way to tell. Other Teslas have always been quite good I thought?

I don’t think they’ll be bad. But for example, the quotes I’m getting now compared to last year are considerable more to a factor that I’ve had to extend the lease by a year when searching and accept more down on a deposit.

Speaking to a few finance companies it can only be down to the residual being less.

Interestingly this page on the Polestar website suggests software updates for the car will only be done during servicing - Pure progressive performance | Polestar

I guess that won't apply to the Android Automotive apps but not clear if it would apply to the OS itself. Also the Manual (available on the above link) only suggests media can be played via the Apps or via a Bluetooth connection, no mention of support for using say a USB stick filled with FLAC media, that's disappointing.

The in-depth Video Reviews are coming out now;

CarWow:

CarPervert:

Autogeful:

Seems to be a real competitor in the UK for those considering the LR Model 3. Most reviews seem to be noting the following benefits over the Model 3.
PoleStar 2:
+ Powered Hatchback, Better Interior and Exterior Design, Google Infotainment System, Matrix Headlights, High Capacity Tow-Bar, Drivers Dashboard, 360 Camera System, Smaller Size and Build Quality

However the Model 3 LR they note still does well with a slightly better driving experience, longer range and Super-Charger network.

Is there anything I'm missing between the two cars?

Reactions: GSP and LongRanger
Still no details about phone app, every review says the key is cheap and rubbish feeling and that in a future update you'll be able to use your phone. That's fine, I'm not particularly put off by that, but can I download an app on my phone to set the climate control or check on my battery charging status or is that delayed as well?

Need more information from Polestar themselves, so far everything I can find out about it is from reviewers!

How often does it need servicing? Can I take it to the Volvo dealer down the road for that? Where do I go if I have a problem?

Still no details about phone app, every review says the key is cheap and rubbish feeling and that in a future update you'll be able to use your phone. That's fine, I'm not particularly put off by that, but can I download an app on my phone to set the climate control or check on my battery charging status or is that delayed as well?

Need more information from Polestar themselves, so far everything I can find out about it is from reviewers!

How often does it need servicing? Can I take it to the Volvo dealer down the road for that? Where do I go if I have a problem?

Agreed with the key. And I'm concerned too with the lack of Phone Key on launch and Apple Car Play on the car infotainment system. Both have been promised with a OTA update.

Regarding servicing, Polestar has stated that you get 3 years servicing, with them doing pick-up and drop off from your home address. Not sure what this servicing includes thou? Other than a wheel rotation?

Given the choice between a powered charging flap and a powered tailgate I’d take the powered tailgate every day of the week.

As you might tell from my other posts today I was torn between the M3 and the polestar 2.

The car looks a lot better than the M3 both inside and out. It’ll be more reliable too. Inclusion of android auto is also a massive plus.

The reason I plumped for the Tesla is I really like the performance of the performance. I want it for driving fun. Also the more sophisticated cruise control appeals to the geek in me and being able to use super chargers as well as most other chargers makes the M3 just that little bit more practical (until you have to drop your shopping to open the boot of course!)

• Informative
Reactions: Arran
Given the choice between a powered charging flap and a powered tailgate I’d take the powered tailgate every day of the week.

As you might tell from my other posts today I was torn between the M3 and the polestar 2.

The car looks a lot better than the M3 both inside and out. It’ll be more reliable too. Inclusion of android auto is also a massive plus.

The reason I plumped for the Tesla is I really like the performance of the performance. I want it for driving fun. Also the more sophisticated cruise control appeals to the geek in me and being able to use super chargers as well as most other chargers makes the M3 just that little bit more practical (until you have to drop your shopping to open the boot of course!)

Beauty is subjective. I’d say it certainly doesn’t look better either externally or internally and I’m not a Tesla fan boy.

Beauty is subjective. I’d say it certainly doesn’t look better either externally or internally and I’m not a Tesla fan boy.
True it’s subjective and a lot of my friends like the M3 I just find it really bland, it looks like 15m of “car”. I’m not normally an SUV fan too but I just much prefer the design of the polestar. I don’t go on cars looks though. My current car I think looks really really good for what it is, but the driving is numb, the cabin old fashioned and the experience really lacking. When I get the M3 I know I’m going to prefer the opposite: sacrificing looks for sheer driving pleasure and an ultra modern cabin and an exciting experience

The performance model is a dream, but just a bit out of reach for myself, come September I'm going to be torn between the Model 3 LR and Polestar 2. Charging network is another big thing I need to consider, but with Ionity expanding across the UK, and InstaVolt coming to McDonalds soon will it be that big of a difference?

PoleStar is tooting their 'Pilot Plus' system, which does auto-steer and maintain your speed & distance; similar to Autopilot. But there hasn't been any references towards lane changing, etc offered by the FSD package.

Still quite a few unknowns for me to commit. Real world range is also a bit lower than I expected. And, not sure I could commit to supporting the Chinese economy more than I already do. Good car though!

I'm concerned about the real-world range as well. Some reporters are stating they were getting the advertised 290~ miles in their testing. Others no where as close. Until the first shipments happen, and we start to see customer videos I think we're going to be in the dark.

The performance model is a dream, but just a bit out of reach for myself, come September I'm going to be torn between the Model 3 LR and Polestar 2. Charging network is another big thing I need to consider, but with Ionity expanding across the UK, and InstaVolt coming to McDonalds soon will it be that big of a difference?

PoleStar is tooting their 'Pilot Plus' system, which does auto-steer and maintain your speed & distance; similar to Autopilot. But there hasn't been any references towards lane changing, etc offered by the FSD package.

I'm concerned about the real-world range as well. Some reporters are stating they were getting the advertised 290~ miles in their testing. Others no where as close. Until the first shipments happen, and we start to see customer videos I think we're going to be in the dark.

I’m not sure it’s a realistic comparison for the LR. It’s more pitched at the standard + given that the 290 will be way over stated.

Reactions: EVMeister
I'm going to be torn between the Model 3 LR and Polestar 2. Charging network is another big thing I need to consider, but with Ionity expanding across the UK, and InstaVolt coming to McDonalds soon will it be that big of a difference?

The issue with non-Supercharger networks isn't so much the overall number of charging points available, across the country. It's the number of points at any given location. I'm not sure if that's something Ionity will effectively address. The Supercharger network is also expanding. Having experienced a number of EVs with different charging solutions, I'd say it's going to be much nicer having the option of using Superchargers only for Teslas as well as the other charging points. Compared to only being able to use the "other charging points", which all other EVs (including Teslas) will also be able to use.

I haven't read much into "Pilot Plus", but I personally find Autopilot very nice in stop start traffic. Does "Pilot Plus" work at very low speed like Autopilot or not? No doubt in my mind that Autopilot will continue to get better and better, "Pilot Plus" not so much. I agree that real world range is a bit of an open question at the moment. I really don't think it will come close to the real world range of the Model 3 LR, even with the slightly larger battery capacity. It isn't as aerodynamic, it's heavier and the underlying battery technology is... Likely not as tightly controlled as in a Tesla.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arran