Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So What Do We Think Of The Polestar 2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jason71

May 8, 2019
Shropshire
Reviews of the Polestar 2 are starting to come in and it doesn't look terrible:
Polestar 2 2020 UK review | Autocar
On paper it is clearly has similar specs to the M3 LR though is a hatchback of course.
Can't match the LR for range on paper 471km/292miles (WLTP). not helped by being 200KG heavier no doubt.
I think I would probably have wanted to take a look at one before ordering my LR if that had been an option a year ago but the M3 would probably have won out in the end for range, Superchargers and not being so new that no one really knows what it's really like, and maybe the Tesla factor as well :). But it's good to see some competition coming none the less.
I'm not going to bother with a poll. That would be pretty pointless on a Tesla forum.

Reactions: Cogarch and GSP
I quite liked the look of this when I first saw it and it's got a nice interior, however the Google Auto is a turn off (especially as it's been announced Apple CarPlay has been delayed until next year). Also the lack of its own charging network is a downside.

There's not much details on leasing so far but from the sites I've seen so far it's about £80pm more than the LR

Reactions: zayn
I saw it at last year’s Geneva Motor Show. Polestar had a big stand, really well presented. The car looked very nice, but it’s not a Tesla. For some, of course, that’s an advantage, but not for me.

Part of the reason for the extra weight is because it is built on the Volvo XC40 platform, which also explains why there's a transmission tunnel. The shorter range than long range model 3 is probably down To being slightly less aerodynamic but for most users it won’t make much difference. I can see the appeal, though would miss the supercharger network and not sure how I feel with a car using android as the OS.

They were moved to a facility in Belgium for pre-delivery inspections

Pre-delivery inspections. A concept perhaps not top of the pile in Tesla M3 Delivery 1:01

Mine has just come back from the bodyshop after panel re-adjustment, chrome trim replacement and door realigning...all of which were identified on delivery.

That's a nice car but I think Tesla tech wins in the benefit comparisons.

Last edited:
It’s great that some serious competition is beginning to come to the market. A monopoly is never in the interest of the consumer. And outside of this forum there are, if I may commit heresy, plenty of people who don’t think Teslas are the be all and end all.

Lack of supercharging is probably the biggest negative.

For most Tesla drivers this is probably true. For me, though, my longest trip is usually a 200 mile return drive to Snowdonia and there isn’t a supercharger in sight. After 6 months I still had 760 of my 1000 free charging miles left so not a game changer for me.

It's probably a decent car, but looks horrendous, particularly in profile, in my opinion.

I don’t mind admitting that I think my M3P is downright ugly. I often look at it with deep distaste. Perhaps the ugliest car I’ve ever owned. But then I didn’t buy it for its looks.

Reactions: pdk42 and TM3P1
It’s great that some serious competition is beginning to come to the market. A monopoly is never in the interest of the consumer. And outside of this forum there are, if I may commit heresy, plenty of people who don’t think Teslas are the be all and end all.

For most Tesla drivers this is probably true. For me, though, my longest trip is usually a 200 mile return drive to Snowdonia and there isn’t a supercharger in sight. After 6 months I still had 760 of my 1000 free charging miles left so not a game changer for me.

I don’t mind admitting that I think my M3P is downright ugly. I often look at it with deep distaste. Perhaps the ugliest car I’ve ever owned. But then I didn’t buy it for its looks.
That’s a bit harsh. From the back and sides it looks quite good. I confess, it’s a bit goldfish bowl from the front :p

It's a cross-over cross-over.. sorta 1/3 suv 2/3 saloon. Not bad looking, fairly staid but if the report is correct about internal space beign tight for large adults then perhaps a bit pricey. Useful for a longish daily commute or trips within range of home charging. Rivals really need to create a rival supercharger system of multiple chargers with no messing aboiut needed to use them. That would be the game-changer.

It's a cross-over cross-over.. sorta 1/3 suv 2/3 saloon. Not bad looking, fairly staid but if the report is correct about internal space beign tight for large adults then perhaps a bit pricey. Useful for a longish daily commute or trips within range of home charging. Rivals really need to create a rival supercharger system of multiple chargers with no messing aboiut needed to use them. That would be the game-changer.
A bit off topic but Not sure how long the supercharger network will be the massive benefit it is now. New chargers seem to be going up a quite a rate now. When every Mcdonalds has a couple of 125kw contactless instavolts etc will it matter that much anymore?
I do like the way though that most supercharger sites are at least 8 deep. what I bugs me about other chargers is that they are usually only 1 or 2 so I am always worried that they might be occupied, iced or broken. And at the moment most are much slower as well.