Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So, What exactly is the value of a Signature Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the definitive answer to the question posed by this thread is: It depends on a lot of things we can't predict today. For example, in my case, I'm hoping for a delivery date next month that will just about ensure that I get both the $7500 tax credit and a $2500 incentive from the State of California. Delivery next year could mean one or both of those have become unavailable to me. The California incentive, in particular, is time limited as it involves a sum of money being handed out first-come-first-served with no guarantee that more will be available. So I will not complain about paying more for my Signature Model S. I will just look forward to having it as soon as I possibly can.

I think the definitive answer to the question posed by this thread is: It depends on a lot of things we can't predict today. For example, in my case, I'm hoping for a delivery date next month that will just about ensure that I get both the $7500 tax credit and a $2500 incentive from the State of California. Delivery next year could mean one or both of those have become unavailable to me. The California incentive, in particular, is time limited as it involves a sum of money being handed out first-come-first-served with no guarantee that more will be available. So I will not complain about paying more for my Signature Model S. I will just look forward to having it as soon as I possibly can.

A solid reason... But with the sig premium you're paying, isn't that like the people who drive 20 miles out the way to save 5¢ a gallon?

A solid reason... But with the sig premium you're paying, isn't that like the people who drive 20 miles out the way to save 5¢ a gallon?

Hard to say at this point. Certainly if I get the entire $10,000 and things change enough that I would not get it had I been something like P3500, it will have been a bargain to pay the extra ~$7000. And, I will have all the other benefits of being a sig customer, whatever those turn out to be. If only the $2500 California incentive would be at risk (probably the more likely case on a look back basis in a year or so), then you are right that on a purely dollar comparison basis, I'll be worse off. But there are intangibles as many have noted. I do want Tesla to succeed and don't mind to some degree making a contribution to that hoped-for outcome.

Unfortunately it seems like the major benefit of the sigs is to late comers who could jump the line by 6 months to a year. Those that had an early sig reservation will see minimal delivery advantage and as discussed the optioning differences are minimal. That certainly is not a great way to reward those who had $40k deposits for years. However as a sig reservation holder who dropped back to production in June after being told that there would be no additional perks or benefits to the sig I would be upset if something extra was offered now.
When I reserved a model X i chose GP as I have no expectation of added value for the sig since I reserved relatively early.

I sent a message to GeorgeB and the Tesla ownership email when this thread first appeared, and no response. I was hoping that it would at least garner a "got it, stay tuned", but nothing.

It sounds like the guy is getting hundreds of e-mails. He has a lot on his plate and has to do rapid fire prioritizing. His #1 priority now is getting the cars out to us.

I sent a message to GeorgeB and the Tesla ownership email when this thread first appeared, and no response. I was hoping that it would at least garner a "got it, stay tuned", but nothing.

This issue was really well-covered when they first announced Sig pricing and "options". Tesla is quite adamant that early delivery, Sig red, white leather, Sig badging/etching, and I guess 3G connectivity are more than sufficient to justify the extra cost of a Sig and extra deposit. No matter how much reasonable people might disagree, this is one area where Tesla seems to have considered the criticisms and decided they were comfortable with their decision.

In the end, from a financial perspective they were right because they sold out the Sigs. We'll see what happens with the X, but based on the S experience it makes very little sense to reserve a Sig X until they get very close to production and/or selling out the Sigs, or you've got lots of money to burn, or want to make a contribution to Tesla.

We'll see what happens with the X, but based on the S experience it makes very little sense to reserve a Sig X until they get very close to production and/or selling out the Sigs, or you've got lots of money to burn, or want to make a contribution to Tesla.

The ramp up of Model X production will be much faster than Model S production. Tesla will have a well tested production line, a well trained staff, and streamlined supply chain by end of 2013. The first 1200 Model X signatures could be produced within 4 weeks. Tesla will have to throw in something else, since early delivery of Signature Model X effects to 2 weeks earlier (in average) - that won't pull in 1000 reservations. But perhaps Tesla is the halo car maker of 21st century then, and they will sell anything they can offer at any price (doesn't that sound familiar :biggrin:)

It makes sense for prospective Model X Sig reservation holders to wait till the options and pricing are announced (will probably be mid-2013). Why lock up all that money now? Maybe best to get a P reservation now and upgrade if there's any perceived value.

Model S Sigs sold out back in Feb (?) a couple of months after the options and pricing were announced.

The more subtle and hard to spot badging and Sig signatures are, the more exclusive and valuable they become. :cool: :smile:

I don't believe that there is a difference between the Sigs and and P's that is significant enough set them apart and make them more valuable at resale.
If the Sigs got upgraded with the Performance Plus modifications and other improvements "on the house", then I would believe it would impact resale.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian H View Post
The more subtle and hard to spot badging and Sig signatures are, the more exclusive and valuable they become.
I don't believe that there is a difference between the Sigs and and P's that is significant enough set them apart and make them more valuable at resale.
If the Sigs got upgraded with the Performance Plus modifications and other improvements "on the house", then I would believe it would impact resale.
No, no, not subtle enough! Too showy and obvious. Preferably, it would be something only an insider would know how to spot.
:tongue:

if you ignore that some of the sigs are being delivered very out of order -- the last few hundred sigs were reserved well after the first 1000 P's, if some Ps get theirs before the last Sig its not horrible. The sigs got to cut in line, but the line is fuzzy there.

Yes, I admit that the "sig premium" is well worth it for me - my original P# was 8xxx and I'm rather excited to get mine earlier. As a result, I don't think I have anything to complain about, although I'm getting itchy... a few weeks ago, I was fine with waiting because I had a lot of infrastructure things to get done -- electrical work, etc. Now I'm just anxiously twiddling my thumbs, trying to plan the delivery to dodge a few business trips and a baby boy due in late November. Come to think of it, having the model S in my hands to do the frantic hospital rush seems rather exciting when I think about it (the baby boy's delivery will take place 50 miles away in St. Louis).

I was hoping for today, on my birthday, but it didn't seem to be in the cards unless a trailer shows up today without notice...

Also, there has always been the issue of Sigs that will be delivered after some early production models. It would be incredibly problematic for Tesla to shut down the line for a week or two just to make sure the final Sigs get in the hands of reservation holders. However, the vast majority (90+%) of Sig holders will have their cars early.

You're right that it's obviously that the end of the Sig line would overlap (for deliveries) with regular production (Rs and Ps), but as noted, the late Sigs generally got to cut the line by a some decent amount. My personal issue is that I was P96, and so gave myself apparently no advantage whatsoever in bumping up my reservation (actually, I reduced my choices in terms of options I didn't need and exterior colors to choose from). I completely agree that it would totally ridiculous for Tesla to shut down deliveries just to make sure all Sigs got theirs first, but given some of the batching issues, we have Sig Specials who still haven't gotten their cars, and with this quality control issue, it's very likely that there may be some general production deliveries before Sig Specials get theirs.

Again, all of this would be a lot less noxious if Sigs hadn't put down an extra $35k for the privilege and are paying at least an extra $7500 for the car.

But I think the Signature advantage will pay off in the long run, as Tesla's going to treat you very specially for having a signature reservation.

I sure hope you are right, but as a Sig reservation holder I've seen absolutely no evidence that this is the case. In fact, I would say every piece of evidence is to the contrary. Free connectivity for a year is the only bone they've thrown us, and without sounding ungrateful, that's not exactly making up the difference. Given Tesla's repeated inability to meet deadlines (my original MVPA said September and now I'm really half-expecting I won't get the car until after Thanksgiving), I'll be very happy to just get my car and I'm really not expecting much else from them.

It's sad it has gotten to this point for me, but Tesla chose this path when they chose to charge a premium for the Signatures. My frustration is a direct result of that, and nothing else. Even if I were paying exactly the same as a non-Sig I'd be 95% less annoyed by this whole situation. This is why I never got worked up about the $600/year for service -- I already got taken to the cleaners for $7500 by Tesla, so what's another ~$2000?!

At least you get a tour, I'm told no tours for P.

Where did you hear that? Just curious, as I was hoping to do a factory tour. If not, I have to start thinking of where I would like it delivered.

Then, I'll have a bone to pick with GeorgeB!

Its time to build your Model S | Blog | Tesla Motors

No mention of Sigs alone here (of course, this was written way back in March):

I have very exciting news to share on how we plan to deliver Model S. I am very pleased to introduce "Tesla Personal Delivery." We will deliver your car wherever you like: your home, your office, your friend’s house, your hotel on vacation, or anywhere else that makes you smile. During Tesla Personal Delivery, we will explain all the features that make Model S great and make sure you know everything you need to know about owning the most advanced car on the planet. We will do so in a personalized, one-on-one way to make sure you get the most out of your Model S from the first moment you sit behind the wheel. We will also offer the option to take delivery at our Fremont factory. Along with the detailed explanation about your Model S and its technology, you will get a tour of the factory to see where your Model S was born. We are very excited about Tesla Personal Delivery and the Factory Experience. Both will be great ways to meet your new car.