Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So, What exactly is the value of a Signature Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
Well, Arnold nailed it later in his post, and that is the fact that Tesla is a Silicon Valley company. They (or any other small/medium company out here) just don't DO focus groups. They take too long. Problems crop up, a few people gather in a hallway or maybe a conference room, solution is devised, everyone moves on. That's how my company works, I'm sure Tesla is the same way. When you launch a product and your customers freak out you make changes in the next version of product. Being insular is a fact of Silicon Valley life. A bunch of smart people get together who think they know how the world works and build a product to try and solve a problem they see out in the world. I'm not saying it's a good thing, I'm just saying it's not surprising.

Yup, except Tesla isn't making software or a web portal or a gadget that costs a few hundred bucks like what most of the rest of the Valley is making where it's easy enough to make the fix in later versions, or just send out a patch to fix any perceived errors or shortcomings. The Groupthink that leads to ill-conceived decisions, without doing a reality check with real live customers on those decisions, is what has led to most of the problems Tesla has had with the rollout of the S, and with Sig owners in particular.

Off topic, abut that might mean its coming on a true truck and not a dinky uhaul thing. Times ticking!

Yeah, sounds like it's arriving on a regular, big truck and trailer.

I'm hoping Tesla does something like 2 years service free or 4 years connectivity for Sig owners as a gesture for the large, interest free deposit some have had down for 40+ months. I'm not saying we're entitled to it or anything but would be a nice move on their part.

This explains a lot...cars evoke strong emotions and obviously mean more to some than others...

In the end, it is just a car and it's just a car company. Even if Tesla succeeds beyond anyone's wildest dreams, we're still just waiting on a car that takes us from point A to B. Even great shifts take years to happen and they are only clean, crisp transitions when written in the history books.

Part of me wants to be part of this shining company leading the way. The reality is a struggle to ship, struggle to make money, slowly clawing it's way into the market, creating a tipping point. That shining company will never really exist except perhaps through the lens of history...even if I wish it were otherwise.

I beg to differ. Not all 1,000 people in the US believe in the value of a Signature reservation. My father, brother, and I all have Signature performance Model S'. I am the only one with "Signature Red" (none of us opted for the "Signature White Leather"). None of us find any true value or exclusivity to being a "Signature" reservation holder. We are resigned to the fact that we paid more money to help Tesla's 2012 cash flow. We're not happy about it. It is what it is.

From our perspective we find no true value or exclusivity because we currently tell no one (outside of these forums) that our cars are "Signature." Previously, we told friends/family, etc. that we had "Signature" cars, but this led to many awkward conversations. For example, the early delivery is a matter of weeks before general production (we won't receive it until Mid/Late October). My father and I have received October delivery windows (my brother has not received a delivery window). If Tesla plans on coming anywhere near 5,000 units, general production deliveries will occur in November. So, all the friends/family we communicated that we had "Signature" cars/early deliveries are now asking "where's your car? Has your car been delayed again?" The next awkward question is: how much does your Model S cost? Being that the general public's perception is the Model S is expensive to begin with, I'm always reluctant to get into a full-blown value/cost/expense conversation. It's an exhausting conversation. The "Signature Premium" only complicates this value/cost/price/expense conversation. My father, brother, and I simply priced out a fully-loaded general production car, which is something like $6,500 less than our "Signature" equivalent (I can't remember the exact figure). That is the "price" we provide friends/family, etc. regarding the price of our Model S'. Also, the $6,500 really was not worth the red over Black or White. I love the red, but that is the only benefit I've experienced.

It is what it is. At this point, we simply want delivery of the car(s). We have no expectations of recouping our "Signature Premium," or receiving any additional benefits, etc.

Not that anyone asked for it, but my 2 cents is: Tesla could put this issue to rest by simply providing Signature Owners with:
-Additional 3 years of free "Signature 3G Connectivity" (4 years total)
-A "Signature Opportunity Console"
-4-Year Anywhere Service Plan
-A 3rd key FOB

The "Signature" premium still exceeds these proposed "Signature" benefits. My back of the envelope calculations are: $40 a month for 3G coverage (just an estimate), $2,400 for the 4-year anywhere service plan, and $2,000 for an opportunity console (just an estimate), and $325 for a 3rd key FOB.

+1 Joefee S-1092

Not that anyone asked for it, but my 2 cents is: Tesla could put this issue to rest by simply providing Signature Owners with:
-A "Signature Opportunity Console"
I might disagree with you on this one.

If 'SOC' is different in a style, labelling way, then I'm with you.
If 'SOC' provides utility that 'OC' does not provide, I have a problem with that.

Put another way, I don't want ill-will between Sig and Non-Sig owners with regard to utility aspects of the Opportunity Console.

Put another way, I don't want ill-will between Sig and Non-Sig owners with regard to utility aspects of the Opportunity Console.

I don't see any ill will resulting here. I'm perfectly fine that those who lent $40,000--or even $5,000 to Tesla for three years should get something for their money more than just red paint, a few weeks earlier delivery (maybe), and a couple of badges. (I'm assuming they will get their choice of SOC free or at a significantly reduced price).

If 'SOC' provides utility that 'OC' does not provide, I have a problem with that.

I should have clarified. A "Signature opportunity console" would be a free (or prepaid, really) opportunity console (same as everyone else). Not a different opportunity console. I attempted to demonstrate that 4 years of 3G service (estimated at $40 per month), the $2,400 Anywhere Service plan, an Opportunity console ($2,000 estimate), and a 3rd Key Fob would total the Signature premium we already paid.

So, "Signature" should be a synonym for "prepaid" features/benefits (i.e., 3G service, opportunity console, anywhere service, etc.).

- - - Updated - - -

One final thought on this:

I do agree with you. Tesla should not put a separate Opportunity Console for Signatures. However, if there was different "badging" for the opportunity console, would you (or anyone) even notice? The only exterior "badging" is the engraved "Signature" on the side of the car, which isn't that noticeable. From what I remember at the test drive, that area of the Model S didn't grab my attention. And the engraving does not contrast the material. I could be wrong. If some one has seen a "Signature" or "Founders" Model S recently and believe the "badging" caught your eye from a distance beyond 1 or 2 feet, please tell me.

The only other "Signature" badging is on the speedometer, which is software. I object to Tesla referring to this software as "badging" because it would be a great software update if anyone (regardless of Signature) could name that aspect of your car. If you wanted it to read "Joel's Model S," why not give us the option to do so? After all, it's just software. Here's a quick analogy: I believe it is appropriate when Apple "engraves" the back of your iPod to consider that "badging," but when you name your iPod "xxxx's iPod" through the iTunes software, that does not constitute "badging."

My point is: the "badging," unless someone tells me otherwise (or when I receive my Model S and believe this is not the case), is really not that noticeable or unique of a feature/benefit.

Last edited:
The Roadster Sig badge (seen here in one of the first 100 Roadsters, on display at one of the National Plugin Day events) is very cool! I hadn't seen that before. Once the dust settles in terms of production rampup, maybe, Tesla can put such a plaque together for each Model S Sig and install it after the fact during a service visit?

My pictures from the event in Cupertino, CA are here: Photos - Google+
I spent most of the day giving rides, I don't much information about some of the cars on display...

roadster_sig_badge.jpg

One final thought on this:

I do agree with you. Tesla should not put a separate Opportunity Console for Signatures. However, if there was different "badging" for the opportunity console, would you (or anyone) even notice? The only exterior "badging" is the engraved "Signature" on the side of the car, which isn't that noticeable. From what I remember at the test drive, that area of the Model S didn't grab my attention. And the engraving does not contrast the material. I could be wrong. If some one has seen a "Signature" or "Founders" Model S recently and believe the "badging" caught your eye from a distance beyond 1 or 2 feet, please tell me.

The only other "Signature" badging is on the speedometer, which is software. I object to Tesla referring to this software as "badging" because it would be a great software update if anyone (regardless of Signature) could name that aspect of your car. If you wanted it to read "Joel's Model S," why not give us the option to do so? After all, it's just software. Here's a quick analogy: I believe it is appropriate when Apple "engraves" the back of your iPod to consider that "badging," but when you name your iPod "xxxx's iPod" through the iTunes software, that does not constitute "badging."

My point is: the "badging," unless someone tells me otherwise (or when I receive my Model S and believe this is not the case), is really not that noticeable or unique of a feature/benefit.

The only Signature I have seen had a script "Signature" badge on the rear of the car above the bumper (passenger side). Did that turn into vapor? :crying:

The only Signature I have seen had a script "Signature" badge on the rear of the car above the bumper (passenger side). Did that turn into vapor? :crying:

Yes. That is gone. That is gone and so is the "P85." If we can all agree that software is not "badging," the only "badging" is on the side of the car.

I'm with AnOusider on this - @GG's picture is "Badging." That and the "Signature" previously displayed on the bumper @v12to12v referenced.

I'm holding out hope that "Signature" = "Prepaid" options that are available to all....