Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So, what's next after 7.1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would encourage everyone here to tweet their thoughts to Elon Musk. I don't know if it will make any difference, but the more people who voice their feelings the better chances we have that Elon and Tesla will address our concerns. Just a thought.

- - - Updated - - -

How do we get Elon to read this thread, showing our cmbned disappointment? Maybe we all send an email to Tesla's feedback email address (what is it again?) with a link to this thread and the message, "READ IT".
Other car companies ARE going to catch up at this rate, and Tesla is going to have lost some of the most dedicated brand ambassadors (some of us) by the time that happens.

Tweet your disappointment and make it public.

Elon Musk (@elonmusk) | Twitter

I would encourage everyone here to tweet their thoughts to Elon Musk. I don't know if it will make any difference, but the more people who voice their feelings the better chances we have that Elon and Tesla will address our concerns. Just a thought.

- - - Updated - - -

Tweet your disappointment and make it public.

Elon Musk (@elonmusk) | Twitter

Done.

ba30b109233a048e267cac4d0b20acee.jpg

If you have to turn off one of the features because you don't believe it will work correctly, I'm not sure how you can call it perfect....

You missed my point entirely, I have NEVER had that functionality work correctly regardless of the NAV system whether it be Garmin, TomTom, in car, etc... It's not a fault of Tesla, I just don't find the traffic base rerouting to be worth it period so I leave it off... I have no idea if Tesla's system works better, I have had it off since day 1... ;)

Jeff

- - - Updated - - -

I have often wondered why Tesla doesn't simply contract all of this out directly to Garmin and put the onus on them...???

Jeff

Oh my. I was going to start a similar thread, but focused on the entertainment system. OP was focused on AP which I also agree is far from complete so let's start there... for me, red light and stop sign stopping is a must and I see no reason why it's not known to be planned.

If the lawyers would sign-off on such feature.:rolleyes: Probably not until autonomous is ready in 2 years EST.
Lawyers are fine with stopping, it's a good thing for safety so no worries there. I'm pretty sure it's coming and in contrast with S4WRXTTCS I'm betting it will deliver some rather entertaining headlines.

And if you're thinking about city / residential streets, ignoring what 7.1 has overtly stated, there are plenty of highways and freeways that have red lights and stop signs.

My thought is they will focus their time on finishing up the 3-series. There may be a dry spell with updates.
Hopefully not... as with the MX, I can see no reason why M3 would not start with the existing codebase. Though they may go for a smaller less expensive screen, or 2 screens, the hard work is (mostly) all done.

Though after being reminded in this thread of so much beta code everywhere and unfixed and totally missing features, well maybe a re-write isn't such a bad idea after all... at least of some stuff, like the entertainment stack. Re-writing code is A Good Thing.

In addition to the features already noted, I think we can expect automatic speed changes based on the posted limits / sign reading in a future release.
Ya, it's bizarre that right now it can't at least slow down whenever it reads a lower sign -- I'd like to see this as an option of course (I want options please not hardcoding. It's not at all hard to add and manage). But even better, go to my set speed relative to the speed limit when I want you to, please, car, and maintain that as the speeds change. Perhaps there are safety / legal issues but as I said above, at least slowing down is safer and should be 100% Tesla Legal Dept. friendly... even if we have to intervene to accelerate it's a no-brainer and will be a nice addition.

There will be a major UI overhaul (wait, no, that was 7.1). There will be an SDK (wait, that was 5.0). There will be decent navigation that takes wind speed and temperatures into account and allows different routes, including speed recommendations (no, that's 6.0).
Oh my, so funny if not so very alarming... this is a freight train of marketing madness, but wow what a wild ride.

It's clear Tesla Motors requires a better bug tracking system. Pretty clear it doesn't exist, or is post-it note based. We should not have to "dream" that the trip planner will not panic new drivers, or to have the ability to add a navigation waypoint to a trip. Oh my indeed...

On the other hand, I'd rather get a beta version (ie: Autopilot) versus other manufacturers (Mercedes, Volvo) that test their code for years before releasing it (and they're still not that impressive).
Yes that is true and it's why I sort-of get it. In essence we are all beta testers. And new stuff is shiny and fun, for us too. I am willing to overlook so many little things because today the very minimum of my miscellaneous requirements are met (calendar integration, traffic-aware navigation, bluetooth audio streaming), and some of the major issues like the Nav don't seriously impact me personally (I try to use nav as a suggestion system). But I can see how there are possible hazards to inexperienced Tesla drivers. The silly "end to range anxiety" update scared the crap out of me on my first road trip when I was far from home (or a plug).

Then, offer a faster CPU upgrade, I'd buy it.
Ok now you're just preying on the weak :biggrin:

Lastly fix all the other stuff mentioned herein, otherwise your competition will do it for you.
And boom goes the dynamite

Well it would be nice if we got what was advertised in the initial AP release and to be delivered over the next few months from Oct 2014:
- hands free driving on-ramp to off-ramp on freeways
- the car driving to meet you wherever you are on private property

Neither of those have been delivered yet.

I'd also like trip planner to end range anxiety instead of create more....

Hands free driving on ramp to off ramp we have. Summoning just got rolled out, but yes it's an obvious basic first draft.

It does this now when you're not on the freeway.

Not really. If you want to be limited to current speed limit +5 and you've set your target speed much higher and you select autopilot it does. I want the option to adjust TACC to my preferred +9 offset automatically.

Right now, if I'm set to 44 on a 35mph road with auto steer, it will adjust to 40. When the speed limit rises to 45, it will return to 44. If it rises again to 55, it will remain on 44. They did fix the initial set speed to reflect the current limit, so it's improving.

In the early days of the Model S, didn't Elon claim the Model S was the best car on the market?

From a hardware perspective, I'd have to agree - the Model S is a fantastic car.

What Elon and everyone else (including Consumer Reports, Car and Driver, ...) seem to overlook is the on-board software.

If there is disappointment in the functionality and quality of the on-board software, the fault doesn't lie with the software developers - they are doing what they are instructed or allowed to do.

Instead, it is a reflection of the overall management strategy for what Tesla does with their software.

If Elon's goal is still for Tesla to build the best car on the road, then it's (past) time for that goal to include having the best on-board software on the road.

If the software team was directed to continue working on each app - until each app was at least as good as, preferably better, than what's available on any other vehicle - then we'd see a significant improvement in the overall driving experience of Tesla vehicles.

Doing this would require more software resources to finish out the growing list of incomplete "apps" (media, navigation, calendar, user interface customization, voice command, smart phone integration, browser, vehicle customization, per driver settings, ...) - which would either result in delaying release of some brand new features OR require (at least in the short term) an increase in software resources in order to get caught up with the growing software development backlog.

Tesla, please don't wait any longer to start making these greatly needed improvements...

Enhance voice recognition will be my top priority. Something that does not require hardware upgrade, but still headline grabbing.
But if the front camera can record to an USB, that will make my day.:wink: This is simply because I don't like aftermarket product (i.e. dash cam) not endorsed by Tesla.

- - - Updated - - -

Agree, and someone said that the unfinished 10% is the hardest and most time consuming. The sad part is that it may that be that news worthy.

Unfortunately, it's not.

"new and improved" is a tired story. When you roll out enhanced (or fixed) functionality it's just much less newsworthy than new features.

At best it's a "didn't you already have that?" And at worst it's seen as an admission that your prior offering wasn't very good.

Wow, as a new owner and forum member, I have seem to struck a nerve. I want Tesla to succeed, where Edsel failed, but the clock is ticking and I think that it's better for them to get the dam patched, before they raise its height.

Agree, but if you're looking for headlines, that won't cut it.

Now, one whiz-bang new feature and a slate of cleanups? That can, but not appreciably more than the whiz-bang alone...

In the early days of the Model S, didn't Elon claim the Model S was the best car on the market?

From a hardware perspective, I'd have to agree - the Model S is a fantastic car.

What Elon and everyone else (including Consumer Reports, Car and Driver, ...) seem to overlook is the on-board software.

If there is disappointment in the functionality and quality of the on-board software, the fault doesn't lie with the software developers - they are doing what they are instructed or allowed to do.

Instead, it is a reflection of the overall management strategy for what Tesla does with their software.

If Elon's goal is still for Tesla to build the best car on the road, then it's (past) time for that goal to include having the best on-board software on the road.

If the software team was directed to continue working on each app - until each app was at least as good as, preferably better, than what's available on any other vehicle - then we'd see a significant improvement in the overall driving experience of Tesla vehicles.

Doing this would require more software resources to finish out the growing list of incomplete "apps" (media, navigation, calendar, user interface customization, voice command, smart phone integration, browser, vehicle customization, per driver settings, ...) - which would either result in delaying release of some brand new features OR require (at least in the short term) an increase in software resources in order to get caught up with the growing software development backlog.

Tesla, please don't wait any longer to start making these greatly needed improvements...

VERY well put on all points. I've also come to the conclusion that it's a management and resources issue (either quality, quantity or both). They MUST be aware of these things.