Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So, what's next after 7.1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not exactly. 7.1 will keep your speed +5 on non-divided highways. If a divided highway has a speed change, 7.1 will keep you at your original set speed.
I tested it on non divided highway yesterday and it adjusted to +8 at each speed change. I did not have Autosteer engaged, just Cruise, so that probably explains it. I'll have to test on highway tonight and see what it does. There are a couple of speed changes on my way home.

I have been accused of being a complaining curmudgeon in these boards in the past. I am glad that everyone else has caught up with my level of disappointment. To paraphrase several of you, who clearly have tunneled into my brain,
--they start seemingly useful features like auto condition (or whatever it's called), and when it doesn't work, they never finish it, going on to the next shiny thing that will get some free PR and maybe pump the stock price $10 for a day or two.
--voice commands that you can get in a BMW or Chevy,
--nav that is as good as a five year old Acura, for G-d's sake,
-- UI fixes (alternatively, give me a toggle to go back to 6.2 -- I drive a Classic, don't need the stupid toy car).
--the app sucks, gets frozen half the time. How about the ability to just program heat times with a calendar grid?
--improve media interface (move around favorites, etc).
-- a phone "Favorites" list, in addition to "Recent" (I think my 17 year old can get that it of programming done in an afternoon on the toilet).
--Apple, a company that worships perfecting the user experience, buys tesla.
i love my car, i really do, it's just....

In all seriousness, as others have mentioned, what I really do expect in the next major update is nothing that fixes any current feature (though a few minor tweaks here and there, some for the better, some for the worse) but something new and shiny that ends up not being all that useful but sounds good in the media.

I agree that Nav could be improved, but given that it's just a system they bought from Garmin, is there any reason to believe that Tesla could do anything to change it in existing cars? Wouldn't Garmin have to improve it?
I would hope that the contract Tesla has with Garmin is seen as a relatively large contract to Garmin, as a result, I would hope that if Tesla threatened to switch providers if Garmin didn't shape up, that we might see an update... or a new provider who was willing to do so. (Feature wise I'd suggest Tom-Tom, for map accuracy I'd recommend Google)
Also, as far as I can tell, the "update to end range anxiety" with the "trip planner" software, is not Garmin, but something else, and that's the part that people want fixed the most.

I think a lot of people will disagree with you there. AP and the related features have a ton of things missing. Summon is barely a proof of concept. Unless you can line up your car right in front of the spot it needs to go it's useless. Reading of speed signs needs more work. Identification of the type of road. Of exits. Of road splits. Positioning compared to cars in neighboring lanes.

What headline feature is it missing that's possible with the current AP hardware? Maybe stoplight detection, but I don't think that was ever promised. Either way the MobileEye chipset supports it, and it's not really an attention grabbing headline anyways.

Everything you listed is things I classify as under-the-hood. I didn't say that they wouldn't improve autopilot. Of course they're going to improve autopilot, and hopefully they'll address some of the things you mentioned. I feel like they fulfilled their obligation to those that purchased the AP hardware, and now they'll concentrate more on tweaks/fixes/etc. Things like the car correctly detecting speed signs in Oregon (not speed limit signs since Oregon is too good for that).

Last edited:
Haha, the cynicism runs deep in this thread.

I think I'm the only one who thinks Tesla will largely focus on tweaks, fixes, and UI enhancements. I say this because AP is feature complete to what was promised with the possible exception of stop light detection.

My guess at what will land with V7.2

UI enhancements
Energy meter changing. Some will like it, some won't.
Improved speed limit sign detection. This is absolutely necessary. Dirk will endlessly email them and they'll give up and fix it. It really does NOT work in Oregon.
More screwing around with HVAC that I won't notice
Fixes to glitches with Summon and the App. Especially the IOS app.
Maybe another parking mode. Like angled parking.
Fixes in IC where it shows the cars on the sides.

I don't expect any Nav enhancements although I do think they will drop a nav update sometime this year, but will be some separate thing.

I would hope that the contract Tesla has with Garmin is seen as a relatively large contract to Garmin, as a result, I would hope that if Tesla threatened to switch providers if Garmin didn't shape up, that we might see an update... or a new provider who was willing to do so. (Feature wise I'd suggest Tom-Tom, for map accuracy I'd recommend Google)
Also, as far as I can tell, the "update to end range anxiety" with the "trip planner" software, is not Garmin, but something else, and that's the part that people want fixed the most.

Map data is and has always been from Google. Just the navigation algorithm itself is Tesla's implementation of Navigon. That's where the problem happens...

From what I understood one of the reasons they went with this combined solution is that to use Googles navigation would require Tesla to share data back to Google. And we all know what Google is also building...

Map data is and has always been from Google. Just the navigation algorithm itself is Tesla's implementation of Navigon. That's where the problem happens...
Funny thing is... map data on the 17" is obviously from Google. And usually correct. But the navigation system uses its own map data (which is currently badly outdated with the last update more than a year ago.
That's why the navigation map in the IC shows a different map than on the 17" screen - where recent (and some times not so recent) changes to the road system aren't reflected, resulting in non-sensical route suggestions.

I have been accused of being a complaining curmudgeon in these boards in the past. I am glad that everyone else has caught up with my level of disappointment. To paraphrase several of you, who clearly have tunneled into my brain,
--they start seemingly useful features like auto condition (or whatever it's called), and when it doesn't work, they never finish it, going on to the next shiny thing that will get some free PR and maybe pump the stock price $10 for a day or two.
--voice commands that you can get in a BMW or Chevy,
--nav that is as good as a five year old Acura, for G-d's sake,
-- UI fixes (alternatively, give me a toggle to go back to 6.2 -- I drive a Classic, don't need the stupid toy car).
--the app sucks, gets frozen half the time. How about the ability to just program heat times with a calendar grid?
--improve media interface (move around favorites, etc).
-- a phone "Favorites" list, in addition to "Recent" (I think my 17 year old can get that it of programming done in an afternoon on the toilet).
--Apple, a company that worships perfecting the user experience, buys tesla.
i love my car, i really do, it's just....

Pretty much hit the nail on the head here. Hopefully Tesla will finally stop adding features of questionable utility, just to grab headlines, and actually start focusing on some pretty big deficiencies of their current software! Nav, HVAC, media, app, UI, all need a lot of work before they worry about new features.

At the moment, the direction they're heading worries me. If my lease ended today, I'd still consider another Tesla (still love driving it), but I'd also be test driving other cars. While the ability to upgrade the car at any time for free was a big deciding factor for me when I went with Tesla, I never considered that they may also downgrade the car with updates.

Tesla's software strategy appears to be to release basic functionality "apps" - often labelling them as "beta" - and then move on to the next app.

I've had the Android Tesla app for 3 years - and it's still in "beta" - and still lags behind the Apple app.

The trip planner was a nice improvement to the navigation software - it's also "beta".

And while I don't have the new AP hardware and can't verify this, didn't Tesla also label some of the new AP/summon software as "beta"?

Plus, for even the apps that aren't labelled as beta - after their initial release, Tesla has done little to finish out the expected functionality. We're still missing basic features in the media playback software, such as playlists - the navigation software is missing some features I had in my 10+ year old cars (waypoints, route navigation, ...). And even the calendar app is primarily useful as a shortcut for setting navigation for the next appointment - and could do much more than it does today.

As for smartphone integration - what we have is very basic. We're lacking voice support for text messaging and Tesla has not indicated they are planning to do anything to provide the level of capabilities other manufacturers get with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto (many cars will have both).

The dashboard/console user interfaces have limited configuration options - AP drivers are asking for the pre-AP dashboard displays - and we're even having issues with simple things like placement of the clock, temperature and media source selection. Why can't we have multiple options for the speedometer and energy graph? Why can't we have more control over how the 17" console is displayed? Does it really make sense that the only way to tell what level the air suspension is at - you have to use the entire 17" display to show the air suspension settings?

Plus, we are still waiting for some of the major features Tesla had previously announced - such as the 3rd party app store and improved browser.

Does it really make sense that many users feel its better to mount their smart phones and GPS devices - and use them, rather than the 17" displays and built-in software in their relatively expensive Tesla cars?

I've had my P85 for 3 years - and greatly enjoy the car - and continue to be a strong Tesla supporter.

However, as someone who has been responsible for major software systems, I know that Tesla can do much better in providing increased functionality and higher quality software than we've seen - and I'm concerned that once another manufacturer has a competitive long range EV, Tesla's software could discourage potential customers.

As I have for the last 3 years, I continue to hope that Tesla will figure this out - and start addressing the growing backlog of missing functionality and owner requests. And while adding major new features (like AP and summon) are extremely important - it's also important to have a fully competitive software system - and today, while the Tesla software looks wonderful on the large displays, the overall functionality falls below expectations in most areas.

Tesla - please start investing in these badly needed improvements...

If I worked at Tesla, I'd be deeply worried by this thread.
It exposes the perception that Tesla has created with some of its greatest fans (frankly, who else wastes all their time on a forum like this). And that perception is that Tesla software development is driven by free PR and that the Tesla software team is unwilling or incapable of finishing the things they start. That perception would be bad if it was wrong - but there is a ton of hard data to show that they start something, get it good enough to demo, then move on

- UI redesign
- Nav / trip planner
- Media app (oh, I forgot, it got a "fix" in 7.1 - a very useful button was removed)
- Voice command
- Car preconditioning

My bet is that "summon" will fall into that category. As implemented it's a cute gimmick but of very limited use in the real world.

I so wish for Tesla to prove me wrong. So hey, Tesla, wanna get me to say "oh wow, I completely called this wrong?" Then here's your todo list for 7.2:

- Way points, route choices, map update for navigation
- Redesigned media app with choice of streaming providers and better UI
- Expanded voice commands that allow me to not have to interact with the 17" screen. "A-C: raise/lower temperature" "A-C defrost front/back" "seat heaters" etc
- UI cleanup: yeah, that's a tough one. Moving things a little bit so really important data isn't hidden by the steering wheel would be a start. Losing the toy car for non-AP car. More informative power app.

Not holding my breath.