Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So when are we going to see the base seats and interior, and metal roof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
I know Tesla is in no hurry to offer the base fabric seats and base metal roof, because they aren't profitable, And Tesla is all about pulling as much money out of us as they can, but I can't think of any good manufacturing reason why these things aren't available yet. It's not like a metal roof panel or fabric seats are hard to make.

And no, your argument is invalid if you say the robots on the line need the open roof to install things. It is no harder to glue a metal roof panel in place than a glass roof panel, it can be added later in the assembly process.

Will we see a base Model 3 at $35K before we see the base fabric seats available on more expensive Model 3's? We'll see.

• Funny
Reactions: voip-ninja
I know Tesla is in no hurry to offer the base fabric seats and base metal roof, because they aren't profitable, And Tesla is all about pulling as much money out of us as they can, but I can't think of any good manufacturing reason why these things aren't available yet.

Given Tesla has eradicated things as simple as paint color, and two 2 variants of the Performance Model, just to streamline production, I don't think it's true to say having two variations of roof and seat material would make no difference to their manufacturing process.

The metal roof introduction would require difference QA, new safety tests, new supplier(s), different roof lining, new materials, new software for the robots, new training for employees, etc. Anyone in change management will tell you that the cost of change has nothing to do with the change itself, but the complexity of the thing you intend to change (Dave McComb, Software Wasteland).

Anything different Tesla does at this point, costs time and money. I'm sure they'll do it in good time, but it's not true to imply it's trivial.

I know Tesla is in no hurry to offer the base fabric seats and base metal roof, because they aren't profitable, And Tesla is all about pulling as much money out of us as they can, but I can't think of any good manufacturing reason why these things aren't available yet. It's not like a metal roof panel or fabric seats are hard to make.

And no, your argument is invalid if you say the robots on the line need the open roof to install things. It is no harder to glue a metal roof panel in place than a glass roof panel, it can be added later in the assembly process.

Will we see a base Model 3 at $35K before we see the base fabric seats available on more expensive Model 3's? We'll see.

Metal roof? Why?

yeah- as Wooloomooloo suggests, there's excellent MFG reasons not to offer the non-premium package until they have no choice.

I strongly suspect the first SR cars will be 40k an include the PUP, and that they'll be delivering those 40k cars in time to still get the $3750 rebate, meaning you're "really" only paying $36250 for it... with the "real" 35k base model coming after that and getting the $1875 rebate, at best.

Reactions: mtndrew1

• There is zero (yes, zero) reason for Tesla to introduce the option until demand slows for versions that have the upgrades. This isn't about Tesla "extracting as much money from us as possible" and more about corporate survival strategy.
  • The new roof definitely requires new parts stamping and probably some slight adjustments to assembly programming.... If the new lighter/smaller battery also requires some slight fit adjustments in parts they have to plan for that too.
  • Tesla will need new interior components from suppliers for the non premium version. This means new seats, new trim pieces, new stereo speakers, etc. While this might seem trivial to you Tesla has to time delivery of these parts carefully as there will be millions of $$ in parts orders and they can't afford to warehouse them before they are ready...
  • They also need time to test-fit all of these parts in pre-production mules and check them out. They might have to shut the line down also to test installation of these parts on the line... this will limit production output at a critical time when they need to maximize production, so they won't be doing this.
  • This adds another production variable at a time when Tesla is trying to keep production variations at a minimum so they can batch as many cars a week as possible.
I think that this is the order we will see;

1. MR w/AWD (Q1 2019)
  2. SR RWD with PUP (Q1 2019)
  3. European delivery starts of current configurations in Euro trim (Q1-Q2 2019)
  4. LR/MR/SR AWD models with base trim (Q4?).
  5. LR/MR models with base trim (Q4 or maybe Q1 2020?)
Again, Tesla has to show a profit from here on out and if that means delaying early reservation holders dream of a $35,000 Tesla until they can minimize the hit they will take delivering it, that is what they will do.

There is zero incentive for them to deliver those low margin cars until they have enough excess capacity and lowered assembly costs to do it without losing money on it.

volp-ninja - This is not a rebuttal, I fear your statement is spot-on.
But I will be disappointed if your assessment is correct.

I had hoped (I am beginning to believe unrealistically) that the SR Tesla would be a full-featured automobile not significantly unlike the MR or LR Tesla, except with a small battery, consequently shorter range.
I can live happily with a metal roof, but I am unwilling to spend $35k for a "stripped" (detuned, "cheapened" or less featured) Tesla, with a "plain-jane" interior, inferior stereo, less comfortable seats, less sound-proofing and etc.
My original intent was to add PUP, so I was never planning on a $35k vehicle.

Sadly, if you are correct, the reality of my "wants" is becoming more unachievable.

volp-ninja - This is not a rebuttal, I fear your statement is spot-on.
But I will be disappointed if your assessment is correct.

I had hoped (I am beginning to believe unrealistically) that the SR Tesla would be a full-featured automobile not significantly unlike the MR or LR Tesla, except with a small battery, consequently shorter range.
I can live happily with a metal roof, but I am unwilling to spend $35k for a "stripped" (detuned, "cheapened" or less featured) Tesla, with a "plain-jane" interior, inferior stereo, less comfortable seats, less sound-proofing and etc.
My original intent was to add PUP, so I was never planning on a $35k vehicle.

Sadly, if you are correct, the reality of my "wants" is becoming more unachievable.

If you wanted a 40k model 3 with PUP you should have ordered the MR as soon as it was announced.

After the tax credit it would've only been $37,500 with PUP and more range than the SR model.

Reactions: Stirfelt
Tesla has mentioned they are working on a lower cost battery pack for the base model 3. Should cost less to make, but stil give better performance. Combination of these new battery packs, metal roofs instead of glass, less expensive interior and wheels, along with just learning how to make the cars more efficiently and in larger volume should allow them to release a base model.

As a temporary measure they are now offering a mid range Model 3 with the same design battery pack. but fewer cells. Said not as inexpensive as the base model, but something they can do right now, and before the Tax Credits are decreased.

When Tesla has the volume and can work down the costs, they intend to offer a base model 3. Probably not until next year sometime.

Right now they are selling all the long/mid range models they can manufacturer. No incentive for them to begin producing the base model until they can do so at a profit.

Some posters have mentioned that they have no interest in autopilot. Perhaps the base model could come with no autopilot option. Tesla would not need to install all the cameras, sensors, GPS and computers. Would obviously reduce their costs of production. Might even be able to sell a stripper for less than $35K. Would also lose automatic headlights dimming a automated windshield wipers.Total base model might not enable Supercharging, keyless entry and app control.

Reactions: felialcho
Some posters have mentioned that they have no interest in autopilot. Perhaps the base model could come with no autopilot option. Tesla would not need to install all the cameras, sensors, GPS and computers. Would obviously reduce their costs of production. Might even be able to sell a stripper for less than $35K. Would also lose automatic headlights dimming a automated windshield wipers.Total base model might not enable Supercharging, keyless entry and app control.
Then whats the point of buying the 35K Tesla...might as well buy the same priced (maybe less after dealer discounts) better equipped Korean, Japanese, or American EV.

Reactions: Stirfelt
My bet would be when tariffs on metals are removed and they reach 7000 a week. The tariffs could very well be a reason to hold off since it eats into margins entirely.
They are not enough reason to slow production. Not at Tesla level margins. Once the SR battery exists we will see the base model. This car may be lighter than comparable gas models for the first time.

Think of Model 3 SR as Model 3 Version 2.0. The differences won't just be a smaller battery and metal roof; they'll have to value engineer meaningful cost reductions throughout the car in order to arrive at the $35K price. There are a lot of opportunity areas, particularly in the body.

When legacy automakers release a car, the specifications of all the mainstream trim levels (excluding super high performance variants) are finalized. When Tesla released Model 3, the Standard Range model and $35K price was a goal, not something that was actually designed yet.

My Model S had textile seats and I loved them. I'd would have selected them for my model 3 in a heartbeat if they were available. They didn't feel cheap at all. I also had a 'body-color' roof, which didn't feel as roomy as the glass, but the road noise was so much less. The 'body-color' roof to my surprise (after 2 years of owning the car) was plastic, kind of like the bumper material. When I sold the car to Carmax they tried to put a magnetic number on the roof an it wouldn't stick lol!

My Model S had textile seats and I loved them. I'd would have selected them for my model 3 in a heartbeat if they were available. They didn't feel cheap at all. I also had a 'body-color' roof, which didn't feel as roomy as the glass, but the road noise was so much less. The 'body-color' roof to my surprise (after 2 years of owning the car) was plastic, kind of like the bumper material. When I sold the car to Carmax they tried to put a magnetic number on the roof an it wouldn't stick lol!
My body color roof is metal. However, magnets don't stick to it, or any other part of the body, because the body panels are made of aluminum!

• Informative
Reactions: felialcho

Never happen. Elon wants as many of us as possible using Autopilot to make driving safer. Plus, the long term goal of Model 3's being autonomous taxis when not needed by owners.