Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Social Chat - Short Term TSLA Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EM "Demand is not generally strong in Europe"

When asked about demand in different geographical regions EM kind of mumbles the above quote at 34 minutes into the CC, the question is asked around the 32 minute mark, anyone concerned? Do I have it wrong?

I was a bit concerned by that, but I interpreted is as meaning 'not generally as strong' as in the US and China, rather than not strong in absolute terms. After all, the shareholder letter mentioned rapidly increasing demand in Europe.

That was a great call. I know the numbers matter, but I just LOLed half a dozen times as Elon was answering. Deepak occasionally threw something in to make all the quants feel good. It felt like they were asking a guy with a PhD in Mathematics to recite the multiplication tables, and he was just holding it back thinking, "I know a lot more than you think."

All in.

I don't think we realize how lucky we are to have Elon and JB as our CEO and CTO. These guys are true businessmen and innovators. Not only are they able to have mindfully created an almost perfect business plan for an auto startup company, but they are also capable of taking on any mathematical question dealing with physics and chemistry of Tesla's entire operation. There isn't a single question that Elon can't tackle, this is why he's always ten steps before anyone else. CEOs of other companies are good at answering day to day operations, performance, outlook and guidance, but ask them about physics or chemistry and you'll get an answer from a representative in that field. Hence, the answers are never genuine and oftentimes, misguided. But with Elon, you get authentic sources and he gives you confidence because the authority in his answer exerts nothing less than confidence. Then to have another genius (JB) back him up regarding the hydrogen vs electric paradigm (as one such example), gave me goosebumps.

The 100,000 number Elon derived wasn't taken out of thin air or a gut feeling, he derived that number from calculating real demand vs. production and expansion capabilities. 2015-2016, watch out! We are talking about 300% growth!! I am excited to see what else this company has up their sleeves, I don't see them dropping the ball on battery or chemistry innovation, they will only get better as long as Elon and JB are captain and co-captain.

I didn't say it was a problem, I am not short the stock or a blogger on Seeking Alpha...just paying close attention to what EM said.

You asked if anyone was concerned. Why would anyone be concerned about demand in any single market, when Tesla has been saying forever that demand is not a problem? It seems it would be looking for trouble where none has ever existed.

Great conference call, except that I now feel like my Model S is fat and overweight. If not for the sour market, I think we would have seen a nice bump, but it was interesting to watch that after hours see-saw - definitely better than what happened 3 months ago. I am expecting some bullish research notes next week and hopefully the market sentiment reverses quickly. I'm as confident in TSLA as ever after hearing that call.

This afternoon I asked Andrea James what her question was going to be and she said 1) ZEV credits and 2) customer deposits on balance sheet. She says she had another call come in from the CFO of another company so that's why she couldn't take the question (she also didn't think the Tesla call was gonna run as long as it did).

He said around 2% with small amounts from a significant number of components rather than most from just a few components.

Cool, thanks! 4,647 lbs. has been the listed weight on the Model S specifications page, so 2% is around 93 lbs. My guess was that it was optimization of many components, because doing something dramatic like altering the structure of the car would have had consequences for safety testing and ratings (having to re-test and re-qualify).

Remember that cars that don't order the rear kid seats do not have as reinforced rear structures as the cars that do, so perhaps that may be part of the weight savings. Also the rear kid seats have been redesigned and maybe those seats are also lighter than the ones in the earlier cars.

Since this thread was created for cheer leading. GO TESLA GO! I can not believe how strong this way. I am now hoping that Tesla falls to the 200 day tomorrow :) At that point I will seriously consider selling all my stock and buying some leaps. I had some doubt on all of the drive train replacements and other quality issues and among other things the fact that they are getting to a 0 maintenance car pretty quick is crazy.

I had to work very late and just finished the conference call but wowzers. I did not think I would hear another call I liked as much as when Elon said they would be profitable and the market did not believe him.

Sorry for anyone holding lottery tickets but FALL TSLA !!! ... or soar through the moon would also work. If you are short ... Exit now ... your time is running out

The first two articles on my Google Finance news feed:

"Tesla Motors' Loss Widens on Higher Spending" - Wall Street Journal
"Tesla Motors Smashings Earnings Estimate" - ValueWalk

I think we're in for a lot of zig-zagging today. Everyone have their knife-catching gloves on?

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

sorry, only way to describe the movement the last 4 minutes. I think this is enough to squeeze out some shorts too

Elon’s best lines from last night’s conference call:

“Yeah. In the past [indiscernible] we've shown all of our cards, so people have kind of gotten used to us showing all of our cards. We're not currently showing all our cards.”

“Yeah. I mean another thing, our CapEx and R&D numbers are better than they appear because there are things you don't know about.”

“We can drive demand up at will. But if drive it up too much, then people would get upset with us because they waited too long for their car. And the only guy in China gets upset that when he got his car, he bashed it, which seems [indiscernible] but he said the reason for bashing the car was that we took too long to deliver to him. I'm like, okay. But -- and when I was visiting in China, the only unhappiness I saw was that, because customers were upset about waiting too long for their car. So it's like, boy, we better not stoke demand in that situation.”