Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Soft start for replacement central AC needed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i have a 6.6kw PV and two PW's....when the system was installed in 2018 they put what they told me was a "soft start" on my central AC to lower start-up amperage.

I'm now getting my older central AC replaced with a new Lennox Elite system.... it's a single unit, 5 ton, 17 seer.

The AC install crew has no idea what I'm talking about when I ask them about a soft-start.

Do I really it with two PW's?

thanks!

it’s close. Much would depend on how much was in use. My 5 ton geo needs soft start to start at all on a 10kw/12.5kw surge generator. It cannot start high stage at all. I don’t think soft start applies to the upstage.

that’s with zero other load too.

I would expect a newer unit to include soft start. Call tech support

Inverter based variable speed compressors don't need the soft start device (which was probably installed on your outside unit by your PW installer). Find out the LRA rating of the new unit (a variable speed compressor may not have a LRA rating) to determine if a soft start device is required (which can probably be transferred from your old outside unit although it may not be compatible with your new unit).

Inverter based variable speed compressors don't need the soft start device (which was probably installed on your outside unit by your PW installer). Find out the LRA rating of the new unit (a variable speed compressor may not have a LRA rating) to determine if a soft start device is required (which can probably be transferred from your old outside unit although it may not be compatible with your new unit). Tesla or your installer can tell you the maximum allowed LRA with your Powerwalls.

For comparison, our York unit is from 2009 and is 5 ton, 15 SEER, 118 LRA. We have two Powerwalls on whole house backup and they have no trouble starting the York. We don't have a soft start thingy installed. Tesla specs say each Powerwall supports 106 LRA, so two should be more than enough to support your new AC.

For comparison, our York unit is from 2009 and is 5 ton, 15 SEER, 118 LRA. We have two Powerwalls on whole house backup and they have no trouble starting the York. We don't have a soft start thingy installed. Tesla specs say each Powerwall supports 106 LRA, so two should be more than enough to support your new AC.

You tested this off grid, right? Also, it makes a big difference the current SOC of your powerwalls and their temperature. If they're full and warm, you won't need soft start as full warm batteries can put out far more current than cold or low batteries.

• Helpful
Reactions: BGbreeder
i have a 6.6kw PV and two PW's....when the system was installed in 2018 they put what they told me was a "soft start" on my central AC to lower start-up amperage.

I'm now getting my older central AC replaced with a new Lennox Elite system.... it's a single unit, 5 ton, 17 seer.

The AC install crew has no idea what I'm talking about when I ask them about a soft-start.

Do I really it with two PW's?

thanks!
We replaced our old A/C with a 5 ton 16 seer Bryant, (Carrier), in July of 2021 and have NO issue with it starting off of our two PWs. We didn't install a soft start.

Reactions: nyprepper
I never saw this proven
It is (was) in the Tesla specifications. Tesla says the current Powerwalls (they don't call them Powerwall 2's anymore - the technical department refers to them as Series 3 Powerwalls) support 106 LRA each. The earlier Powerwall 2's (which I currently have 2 of) was a lot less. I have a long saga that eventually got me to get a 3rd Powerwall to start my HVAC compressor. If I had been given the current Powerwalls two of them would have been enough to start my AC.

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush