Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.10.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
During a lane change I noticed another car being displayed in the adjacent lane. Never noticed it before. The autopilot driving experience is much smoother. Love this firmware version.
During a lane change adjacent cars has been shown in the display for several months / firmwares, like .42 and later I believe, that is not a new feature.
We got that in May 2017 with 17.17.4

Why is no one addressing the elephant in the room? "Front Trunk?" Really? Horribly disappointing. Everything else is meaningless.

View attachment 286895

Well... To be honest I used that functionality today and it was really useful! I was out in someone else's car and I had a projector in my front trunk that someone needed to grab. As its API related it can work over whatever distance is required.

Reactions: Compton
Frunk?

Frunk.jpg

Well... To be honest I used that functionality today and it was really useful! I was out in someone else's car and I had a projector in my front trunk that someone needed to grab. As its API related it can work over whatever distance is required.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
I'm looking forward to this one a lot, but I wonder if they've also addressed the painfully slow take offs. Is the take off from a stationary start behind stopped cars still glacial? Do cars in front still pull away from you long before it takes off and at a faster pace than you do? This has remained a big bugbear of mine with stop and go traffic and TACC.

I've only used the new version briefly and in a location I had not used prior version. However, I let AP drive through a town last night including a stop light, the takeoff seemed much improved over the previous extended wait then over accelerate. I use to feel the car behind me was probably wondering what the hell I was doing, last night was more human like.

Reactions: conman

I was joking. More referring to the fact that they should have called it a "frunk."

Because the other companies give you all the promised features and standard features from day one and not trickling in features that are standard 2-3 years later because the car came with only half of its supposedly standard features installed.

This is not a positive, this is a negative.

so far its been 4.5 years. still waiting for my infiniti lane keep assist feature to start working. i'll keep you posted... on a serious note, I can confirm, that i would rather have a crappy functioning feature that was sold to me with the option of it getting better instead of the crappy functioning feature that was sold to me but with functionality that will remain unchanged for the life of the car.

Ok, enough honours to Tesla. Lets move on. Worklist for next version:
-Speed sign recognition
-auto lane change where AP1 can alc.
-Auto lane change in front of passed car without keeping 2 seconds distance
-mitigate potholes and big bumps and huge debris etc.
-mitigate oncoming cars when the road is narrow (like the bus in my video)
-enhanced auto lane change
-and?

However, the second I reached the peak of the crest AP2 slammed on the brakes! That was unnerving but at least it stayed straight. There was a car about 30 feet in front of me so I'm wondering if AP2 lost sight of the car in front of me when it dropped down the crest while I was ascending. It probably detected the car in front of me as I dropped down the crest which caused it to brake suddenly. I'll try it again later today with no cars in front of me.

I'm following up regarding the sudden braking I experienced yesterday. This morning I drove over the same crest and made sure there wasn't a car in front of me. AP2 handled this scenario flawlessly. Looks like there are some edge cases that still need to be addressed but overall a great software update.