Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.10.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wonder when our government is going to step up and install self driving vehicle guidance devices along their roadways to assist these sensor equipped cars with navigational ques.

They already provided them for human drivers with millions of signs for people to follow. Maybe it is time for them to work with the auto manufacturers to offer the same guides for the self driving vehicles.

After hearing all the great things so far, I called my local SC today to have the update pushed OTA. They were hesitant at first saying that it gets rolled out in batches and may take 1-2 weeks but I didn’t want to wait that long especially without having a WiFi connection and said that lots of people are having issues with previous 6.1 update even though I wasn’t one of them. They obliged and pushed the update.

After driving for around 30 miles, I can confirm that this is a huge jump in improvement whether it’s going through dips in the road where the car would swerve before or not following the lead car when it goes into another lane or smoothly merging into highway. This is such a great confidence booster in terms of EAP and FSD timeline now!

Usually I post a bunch of driving notes about subtle differences, but this time I don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said. This is a huge improvement all around, and I've so far only found ways this new update is better than before, not ways that it's regressed.

The one extra tidbit I'll add is that AutoWiper behavior does seem to have changed. Now it seems to wipe at evenly spaced intervals, as opposed to the previous behavior where it randomly wiped (wipe…. pause… pause… WIPE WIPE WIPE WIPE).

Unless I am mistaken, AP just ran circles around GM... ;)

(all in good fun, I drive a GM)

Literally drove/ran around the GM proving grounds. Complete with all the security sitting burning dinosaurs 24/7 watching me. I am always saying, there is nothing in there fellas that interests me one bit.

Reactions: Yuri_G and mongo

Awesome!!!!!

First video around 6:14 and third video around 1:14 mark you get a curved road sign with lower speeds limit. That blew my mind two ways. One good, one scary.

The good, tesla handled both like a MF champ!
The scary, "what lower speed limit change?!". AP just kept the same speed and blew through 2 in first and 2 in third video going through dangerous curves. I guess we have to wait for speed limit sign recognition.

Saw a few posts about how the center screen was supposed to feel more responsive with this update as well. Has anyone else noticed any improvement?
Got 18.10.4 last night. Drove 20 miles on local road this morning (City drive). I upgraded from 18.6.1

I agreed with everyone. It is smoother. However, I did find that AP "availability" icon appears and disappears on small neighborhood roads all the time. Before the upgrade, once my car was driving on a straight road, the AP icon appeared and then I could activate AP. Now, the icon comes and goes all time on the same local roads. If I activates it at the right time, AP will stay on. It seems to me that if there are cars parked on the side, the icon disappears. Once I drive past the cars, the icon reappears again. Anyone experienced this?

Another observation on AP, it can see much much further. The car would gradually slow down if it sees a car half a block away.

On media player, another major fix. Before, USB playback was broken. When I shuffled my playback, it played first several songs without any issues and then it started giving me "Loading error". Now, no more issues.

Like other mentioned, MCU definitely more responsive.

Great update!

I upgraded from 18.6.1