Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.10.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know whether you are aware of this or not, but automatic lane changes will only take effect on highways marked in their database as eligible for it (e.g. Interstate highways). And not all freeways are designated as eligible, either.

I was not aware of this. I was on a surface street that is 4 lanes wide with a center divider and 45mph speed limit. That may explain why it ignored me in trying to change lanes. The phantom braking is still a bit annoying and I would like to see the steering a bit smoother yet on surface streets (where I was testing based on the videos others have posted. In videos I have seen cars allegedly slowing down into sharper curves and accelerating out but I haven't seen that in my own car. It just barrels through the curve at the set speed. It can be a little unnerving, especially to passengers (think wives or GFs). Humans tend to be sensitive to the centrifugal forces and even though the car is perfectly capable of taking a curve at a pretty high rate of speed we tend to be more cautious, especially since we can't see around curves and know we should be ready for the unexpected.

It's hard to tell from the video, did the car actively steer you to the left or did it just beep?

This is interesting, would ultrasonic sensors be able to do this or do we think the rear camera (or repeater) has a NN active?
So I thought it was the ultrasonics yesterday when the motorcycle buzzed me, but this was Too far a distance to be ultrasonics, check out the car in the center video approaching from behind. Or who knows? , I don’t know if my car steered away a bit extra, I was mid way through a manual lane change abd I tensed my hand hard from the warning

Reactions: croman
Just had to reboot the MCU to wake the car up. I woke up to a TeslaFi measage that the car was offline. It responded to my fob (lights, etc) but MCU out and no response to brake pedal. Rebooted and all’s well.

Maybe they rewrote too much. :D I’ve seldom (never?) had the offline overnight, as I’m ‘always connected, no energy savings, don’t sleep’ in settings/TeslaFi.

Last edited:
One additional observation from driving last night - auto high beams seem to be a little more sensitive. It seems like they dimmed more frequently than they did with the previous version. In some cases, they dimmed because of house lights or reflectors on the side of the road.

I'm not sure if I would categorize this as better or worse. Just different.

In any case, I still feel like they work better than any other car I have driven that has had auto high beams.

It's hard to tell from the video, did the car actively steer you to the left or did it just beep?

This is interesting, would ultrasonic sensors be able to do this or do we think the rear camera (or repeater) has a NN active?

So I thought it was the ultrasonics yesterday when the motorcycle buzzed me, but this was Too far a distance to be ultrasonics, check out the car in the center video approaching from behind. Or who knows? , I don’t know if my car steered away a bit extra, I was mid way through a manual lane change abd I tensed my hand hard from the warning

Ultrasonics are close to useless for fast-approaching objects. Their refresh rate just isn't fast enough to detect the vehicle quickly enough -- particularly if your software (wisely) wants to wait for at 2+ results to confirm that it's not a false positive (ultrasonics can be noisy/unreliable, especially at highways speeds). Ultrasonics fundamentally were designed to be parking sensors, operating at low speeds and detecting mostly static obstacles. Using them at highway speeds is quite a stretch for Tesla.

No, if 2018.10.4 is able to detect vehicles approaching quickly (like 15+mph speed difference) from the rear, it can only be cameras doing it. (Well, rear corner radar or lidar could also do it without breaking a sweat... but this is not the Tesla way.)

That sounds like a map update!
IMG_0150.jpg

You weren't wrong...Only took 3 days...Still no update to 10.4...

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
Be careful doing that if you don't have a key with you. If the car is getting bad cell signal you won't be able to get in it. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it relies on cell signal instead of bluetooth.

Not only that, if you leave your phone in the car and step out, you will be locked out. Happened to me few days back. Luckily I was home and had my backup key.

I noticed the updates have really slowed. We have a 2017 S and X and I emailed Tesla about this and they said “must have Wi-Fi - park next to a coffee shop.” Problem is that we garage our cars at both Work and Home deep underground with no WiFi but surprisingly strong LTE. They simply refuse to push over LTE!

If there’s good LTE signal there then try tethering it to your phone when you can (eg: on your drive to work, while parked if you can leave your phone/spare cellular device like an iPad etc in the car). That may be enough to trigger the update to push.

Ultrasonics are close to useless for fast-approaching objects. Their refresh rate just isn't fast enough to detect the vehicle quickly enough -- particularly if your software (wisely) wants to wait for at 2+ results to confirm that it's not a false positive (ultrasonics can be noisy/unreliable, especially at highways speeds). Ultrasonics fundamentally were designed to be parking sensors, operating at low speeds and detecting mostly static obstacles. Using them at highway speeds is quite a stretch for Tesla.

No, if 2018.10.4 is able to detect vehicles approaching quickly (like 15+mph speed difference) from the rear, it can only be cameras doing it. (Well, rear corner radar or lidar could also do it without breaking a sweat... but this is not the Tesla way.)
I could have sworn we had threads and video posts (Erik and David’s?) months old showing that the side camera were showing side traffic (only) when changing lanes.

As you say, ultrasonics are useless for this. If you pass something, you’ll see the obstruction alert in the binnacle seconds later. No use for blind spot detection. It’s made for parking when you are moving at about 1% the speed.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Is it true that the car must be on WiFi to receive the update? When I first received my car it was on some factory firmware version and it allowed me to update via LTE. Just curious considering I have yet to receive the 2018.10.4 update and I am about to embark on a trip up the southern coast and this surely would be great to have!

Is Lidar intended to be a better ultrasonic device, or a better camera? I thought it is the later. Maybe its both?

Also how can a camera sense the speed of the objects around you? Thats the job of a radar or ultrasonic, correct?

Also on the same lines how can the camera sense the distance to an object? with two cameras you can get which one is farther and which one is closer - a 3D view - but not how much is the distance between you and the objects.

Last edited:
If there’s good LTE signal there then try tethering it to your phone when you can (eg: on your drive to work, while parked if you can leave your phone/spare cellular device like an iPad etc in the car). That may be enough to trigger the update to push.

It will not download an update while driving. I believe the car must be in park.

Is it true that the car must be on WiFi to receive the update? When I first received my car it was on some factory firmware version and it allowed me to update via LTE. Just curious considering I have yet to receive the 2018.10.4 update and I am about to embark on a trip up the southern coast and this surely would be great to have!

Updates are first sent by WiFi and then later via LTE.