Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.10.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess it is messed up.

yeah, you can see the gun in one of her hands but not the fireball whisky in the other hand. It's supposed to look like this, though I don't know why.

la-me-ln-state-of-jefferson-activists-20180317

I got it yesterday and the highway lane change is WAY better. No more dirty looks from GF.

It also seems to not wander so much on two lane roads...before it would kinda wiggle all over ...now it is rock solid.

I was out testing it again today. While it is a huge improvement over the past versions, it still needs a bit more work. It doesn't quite steer like a human would (at least I try to stay away from humans I see driving this way :) ) in that it still makes a lot of unnecessary steering corrections and the phantom braking can be a bit unnerving at times. I tried to switch from the left lane to the right land and it refused to go into it even after about 15 seconds. I finally had to take over to change lanes. There was a vehicle way back in the lane but not close enough to have been an issue. Stoping behind stopped vehicles still takes too long to start slowing down and tends to be much more abrupt than a human driver and then when the car ahead starts moving it hesitates quite a bit before it starts driving even though we have stopped with far more space between the vehicles than a human would normally. Corners are still using a lot of corrections and while they aren't as large as they were in the former version, they are still more than they need to be. It reminds me a when my teen was learning to drive in that she tended to over correct and then have to correct again. These are all things that should get better as the NN is taught more about the proper way to drive like a human.

One thought about the fact that we are seeing some differences in the write ups on the AP behavior is maybe some cars are smarter and learn faster than others. Just a thought :)

A thought on the media system. I wonder if it is the first bit of software toward speed adjusted volume control and it isn't working fully yet.

The only comments that don't seem appropriate at this point, is that hill cresting is "fixed". It is most certainly NOT "fixed". It's definitely a lot better (call it, fixed in certain scenarios, maybe?). Still a high risk area for screw ups though.

I have dozens of hill crests in my area, and this release handled all of them perfectly. No hesitation, no left/right swerving, just perfectly tracking and staying in the center.

Granted, I'm still ready to take over, and it's going to be a very long time before I trust it in those situations, but I am repeatedly shocked at how perfectly it handles this now.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark and EinSV
Does that mean as well as you would have done or as good as a new driver would have done it?
Now that’s a question. Not quite how I would have driven but definitely close to it, there is a section where it widens and bends and when I tried last year it pretty much went on the wrong side of the road but today it crused round almost as I would but perhaps slightly to the centre but I didn’t crap my pants or anything so definitely workable as every driver is different so as long as it’s safe then I’m happy

The random MCU crashes seem to definitely NOT be fixed, unfortunately. My car fluffed the bed sometime last night before the scheduled charge time and didn't charge overnight. Had to get into it and reboot the MCU to wake it back up.

I tried to switch from the left lane to the right land and it refused to go into it even after about 15 seconds. I finally had to take over to change lanes. There was a vehicle way back in the lane but not close enough to have been an issue.
I don't know whether you are aware of this or not, but automatic lane changes will only take effect on highways marked in their database as eligible for it (e.g. Interstate highways). And not all freeways are designated as eligible, either.

I don't know whether you are aware of this or not, but automatic lane changes are only permitted on highways marked in their database as eligible for it (e.g. Interstate highways). And not all freeways are designated as eligible, either.

Also if the car has not stopped the dash lines from a previous lane change, it will not change. Also if you engage ALC within 5-10 seconds of a passing car in that lane, it will refuse to go because your blindspot is not being monitored by the repeater cams (yet) and ultrasonics are unreliable for detecting very fast moving cars in the target lane.

A couple of comments for the above and from a 120 mile drive we took to check on Supercharging today (first time we’ve had a chance to get to Hagerstown to actually test it! Worked perfectly, thank gawd, since Sept build).

Definitely agree much improved, GF agrees; the old accelerating and quick deceleration in local traffic used to hurt her neck. Not so now!

1. I also saw quick nags and I believe this is because we are not touching the wheel at all because it’s so good. If you never touch it, it will nag ‘more’ to see if you are there. With the new easier disconnect, I’ve seen the best way to ‘confirm’ your presence isn’t to twist the wheel but to ‘not twist’ the wheel. Prevent it from moving at all and it will sense your presence.

2. The major issue I’ve found with 10.4 is the tendency to center on wide lanes. When a lane drops off temporarily (ramp approach, etc) the car immediately centers in the double-wide space and then has to recenter on the single lane when the right side stripe re-appears. Those with the dotted line on the right over the gap work perfectly, of course.

This used to work better when ‘left side guidance’ was used to keep going straight and not overall center in the middle between whatever two boundary lines there are (this is on highways, of course). I’m sure this will improve.

Not much really to complain about. I even tried to have it auto steer through a small roundabout and it couldn’t quite do it; too tight a radius. Gave it a good try, though!

Got 10.4 last night and did a little driving today. Agree with the comments folks have made about this being a significant improvement.

The only comments that don't seem appropriate at this point, is that hill cresting is "fixed". It is most certainly NOT "fixed". It's definitely a lot better (call it, fixed in certain scenarios, maybe?). Still a high risk area for screw ups though.
Examples of and video proof of what's not fixed? Asking because I'm still waiting for delivery and couldn't test myself.