Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.14

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had 2018.14 download about a week ago but it was pulled back prior to install. Yesterday, I had 2018.14.2 come down and install.

MCU still using google maps so looking forward to having new maps come down and seeing how they look/work.

I’ve experienced my first episodes in a long time and over many software updates of fairly violent emergency braking on the freeway at about 70 mph a couple of hundred meters in front of an overpass bridge, once each way on the way to and from work yesterday. In addition, I tried to change lanes toward my exit while on autopilot, taking over with the steering wheel because it took longer than I needed, and got my first ever “take over immediately” warning about 10 seconds after I was in full control.

Disappointing, to say the least, after all the gradual improvements most of us experienced over the last several months.

Can SC folks 'stage' a firmware update? Last week a local SC guy told me to stop by so he can 'stage' the .14 update for me. Later when I called, another person told me that information is inaccurate and my car will just have to wait for whenever the new maps or .14 release notification pops up. No idea when. Appears that's the pattern, correct? I'm in VA.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Can SC folks 'stage' a firmware update? Last week a local SC guy told me to stop by so he can 'stage' the .14 update for me. Later when I called, another person told me that information is inaccurate and my car will just have to wait for whenever the new maps or .14 release notification pops up. No idea when. Appears that's the pattern, correct? I'm in VA.
Of course they can. But they are not required to do so. I guess if everyone wanted them to do it, it could be very time consuming with no $$$$. Maybe they should offer to do it for a price? Like $25? I wonder how many would pay?

Elon already tweeted they will allow people to request the latest updates. As usual no one knows when our if this will be an implemented procedure in the company, but it is definitely a possibility.
SeC employees CAN schedule an update for your vehicle (they did for me after I had gone 3 months without an update), but it's not instant and is depending on how busy the SeC is and probably how busy the software queue is.
My local SeC told me it could take around three days if the SeC is busy.

Regarding a firmware update: Yes, they absolutely have the ability both at the local service center level as well as at the nationwide customer service level to push the latest update to your car. After they do so, it takes another hour or two for your car to show the update. HOWEVER, if your service center is a busier one, they will likely ignore your request or refuse to do so, unless you come up with a really good justification for doing it.

But for the maps: Currently, there's seemingly no way to push that. We've not seen any successful reports of explicitly forcing the maps update. If you are not on .12 or newer, getting them to push you a newer firmware MAY then cause your car to grab maps shortly after upgrading, but that's not guaranteed.

Interesting..guess I will have to come up with a decent excuse to visit them now :)
I only had them do it once. This was after the prior two versions got an error but still loaded (99% sure). Anyway, had to take in for another issue and ask them to actually do the install there to see if they get an error after. At first they want ed to do the normal "schedule" it for later but I said how will you know if you do not actually install it yourself and then did it while it was there.

I am on 2018.12 and I recently (last week) got the GPS Stuck issue (for the 4th or 5th time). I know the process now but decided to contact my service center and ask them to push the 2018.14.2 to see if that would clear it up. They said NO. And transferred me to the GPS Group that handles this "known" issue and they sent me a GPS Reset (like in the past). Now he did say that with the new Nav System (and on 2018.14.2) I should not see this again. So I said well, since I have this problem can you not just push me the new version? He said NO. Now he was with the GPS Support Group (as I was told - maybe just another level). Anyway, maybe if I went back to my local SC in person and told them what I was told and be extra nice maybe they would push it. Who knows. Just not worth my effort at this point. Now when 2018.16 comes out and I do not get it within a week I will probably give it a go.